Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Problems with Alta boost tubes, check yours!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Argencooper
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with Alta boost tubes, check yours!!

Guys, this weekend I was cleaning the engine of my Mini and I noticed that the cold tube have a mark on it, so I decided to remove it and check if it was Ok but I was surprised to see that it had two big cuts on it.

One of them It was caused with a nut in the engine:

And the other cut was made with a plastic of the back part of the engine bay

I also decided to remove the hot tube and same problem. Something was cutting it

Did anybody had this problem?

Guys check yours because this is a problem in the design of this tubes.

Please Adam, I would like to know your opinion....

Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That looks like something flying around in there

Old 09-29-2009, 04:51 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I also had the same issue. I wrapped the hose with a wide heavy rubber electrical tape. I then secured some heavy-duty zip-ties around the contact area. When a zip-tie breaks I replace it (kind of a early warning system). I have had no issues since this repair.

I did contact ALTA; they sent a hex-head screw and a smaller washer to replace the one at the contact point. ALTA did not offer to replace the hose. IMO, this is a direct result of poor R&D on ALTAs part.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Argencooper
1st Gear
Scottab36 check also in the back part, near the plastic wall. There are a kind of support (?) that I think it is to separate the original resonator of the wall. That support will also cut the tube (photo #3)...

Also check your hot tube, there are a part in the radiator that will cut the tube, like mine.

And if you have an inlet, put something between the water reservoir and the inlet because also will be damage.

I installed the tubes one year ago aprox and this is the result....

I think that ALTA made and sell this tubes but didn't test in the car....

Old 09-29-2009, 07:48 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another unhappy Alta customer

I had the same problem before switching to Exhaust Depot's cold side boost tube that actually fits correctly. This was my last straw with Alta and I'll never buy from them again. They make no effort to correct their mistakes and only warm-up to customers that kiss their a**. I contacted Alta Jarid and he never replied to me.

I did nothing wrong on my part. They were installed correctly and the part failed. I along with every other person that bought this tube deserves their money back.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:29 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I will re-inspect this weekend. I have previously looked and did not see any other wear areas.

Originally Posted by Argencooper
Scottab36 check also in the back part, near the plastic wall. There are a kind of support (?) that I think it is to separate the original resonator of the wall. That support will also cut the tube (photo #3)...

Also check your hot tube, there are a part in the radiator that will cut the tube, like mine.

And if you have an inlet, put something between the water reservoir and the inlet because also will be damage.

I installed the tubes one year ago aprox and this is the result....

I think that ALTA made and sell this tubes but didn't test in the car....

Old 09-29-2009, 09:38 AM
fernflex
3rd Gear
The same happend to me with all of the turbo hoses.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:59 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Now I think I'm going to check my hot side tube this weekend just to make sure... this is seriously unacceptable.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Argencooper
1st Gear
I would like to read an opinion of ALTA because I'm not the only customer with this problem.....

Old 09-29-2009, 12:20 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I had to take mine off because of the same problems.

Chakraj also posted this problem as well not too long ago.

Would be nice if there was a redesigned replacement.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:59 PM
eg0911
3rd Gear
i hope they will make a V2, but dont wait for a better product....the v2 of the intake still looks like it would break in the same place. the welds were no changed at all

i would demand a refund and save a few bucks and get the ED ones, hector is a great guy and will back his parts

Old 09-29-2009, 03:11 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Scottab36,

So they did know about the problem and sent you their "fix". Seems like the fix is only for the cold tube rub on the engine block screw. Did the fix work?

eg0911,

Are you taking about a recall or some sort of joint action? Some group action from dissatisfied owners of defective poorly designed Alta boost tubes.

My biggest issue is that they are still selling these defective poorly designed boost tubes to other NAM members and the unsuspecting public.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:22 PM
mamut
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-30-2009, 05:31 AM
Ronin5729
2nd Gear
Subscribed... ...waiting on Alta's response...

Old 09-30-2009, 06:39 AM
Argencooper
1st Gear
Another problem here, same as I had....

I think that ALTA have to change our tubes because all of us have same problem...

Old 09-30-2009, 06:46 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
Hmmmmm Alta seems to be trolling NAM on a hourly basis to promote their stuff......how come the delay?...........this oughta be good

Old 09-30-2009, 06:50 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Argencooper
Another problem here, same as I had....

I think that ALTA have to change our tubes because all of us have same problem...
I do not think they are going to volunteer to make a recall. Who is going to force them to do this?

It is a safety issue because a tube cut all the way through will cause an air leak and will make the car undriveable or potentially cause an accident. I have had a defectively short (bad fitting) hot tube blow off at 85 mph in a turn at LRP and had to correct to kept the car on the track so I know what that is like.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Ronin5729
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tgs91
Hmmmmm Alta seems to be trolling NAM on a hourly basis to promote their stuff......how come the delay?...........this oughta be good
Well they definitely already know about it, since they sent out at least one "fix" that we know of...

Customer service is easy when everybody's happy and everything works the way it's supposed to. This seems to be one of those situations where you're really gonna find out what Alta's customer service is (or isn't) all about.

Why am I so interested anyway? I bought 2 MINIs in less than a month and mod everything...down to my garden tractor! I drop big money on all of my rides and I'm looking real hard at what's out there right now and what people like and don't like. Not liking this right now, at all. Fortunately there's at least one other show in town (Exhaust Depot's hard pipes) which is definitely looking like the way to go...

Old 09-30-2009, 08:20 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ronin5729
Why am I so interested anyway? I bought 2 MINIs in less than a month and mod everything...down to my garden tractor! I drop big money on all of my rides and I'm looking real hard at what's out there right now and what people like and don't like. Not liking this right now, at all. Fortunately there's at least one other show in town (Exhaust Depot's hard pipes) which is definitely looking like the way to go...

Personally I follow the credo "friends don't let friends do ALTA" but thats me. There are folks out there for whatever reason think their awesome. Go figure. There are several outfits that make piping for MINI's. M7, Exhaust Depot, Detroit Tuned carries a line whose name escapes me, etc

Piece of advise....read a aftermarket vendors return policy real close before you order

Old 09-30-2009, 08:26 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ronin5729

Talk with Dustin at AutoXcooper. He is a straight shooter about mods. Saved me a ton of money from not buying useless or flawed parts as well as parts not meant for what I want to do.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:47 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Detroit Tuned has access to Samco boost tubes.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Ronin5729
2nd Gear
As crappy as it may be for some NAMsters to experience this nonsense first hand, there's definitely some good info getting out there that will (1) warn prospective customers and (2) offer alternatives from reputable vendors...

Still waiting for Alta to chime in and do the right thing... ...and a half-arsed "fix" with a hex head screw and smaller washer ain't it.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:46 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
I was just looking at the SAMCO offering, impressive

Old 09-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Jupiter Clam II
1st Gear
sounds like Alta has their hands full right now. Looks like their R&D department isn't up to snuff. Now that the R56 is almost 3 years the parts Alta made are starting to show wear and tear, and show that Alta might have to go back to the drawing board with a few parts.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Stig One
Banned
Hoses are wear items,you should lighten up on alta. I dont have alta boost tubes and only have 2 alta products that seem fine.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Problems with Alta boost tubes, check yours!!