Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Problems with Alta boost tubes, check yours!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:58 AM
eg0911
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phillipcoopersgates
I'm gonna have to say that I have all 3 tubes and none of mine are injured in any way (I am also in my engine 24/7 so its would be hard for me to miss) And let me just say, coming from someone who just left behind his 04 MCS that runs a 5.3 0-60 (I have this time recorded for whoever doesn't believe me) Alta is one of the best companies anyone could buy from. Check your tubes and watch for it because no matter what silicon hoses you buy this will happen to ALL of them. As for those of you going to Exhaust Depot, all I have to say is any company that sells a $298.00 down pipe is a joke, don't buy anything from them.
that is hectors bottom barrel downpipe, Its a great deal for someone looking for just a straight pipe. Hector is a great guy with an awesome shop. Hectors pipes are top notch and im sure if he was having issues by many of his customers he would make it right(unlike alta). I have been to his shop and i am very impressed with his work. I have never heard anything bad about his shop...so why bash his shop just because he has a good price on a DP?

Old 10-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Well, you've either got the Exhaust Depot or Samco. I don't have experience with Samco but I know Chad at DetroitTuned does. I'd contact him directly...

www.detroittuned.com
Cool thanx this will be coming down the line. I am not rushed cause my tube isn't that bad.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:30 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Ya thats fine if you want to stick up for Alta, they are good people. But Hector (Exhaust Depot) builds some quality pieces and he has a lot of knowledge. I would check out his work before you knock it, you may be surprised what you can get for $300.00

http://www.minspeed.net/R56EE.htm

just as an example. (not of Hectors work, but of what you can get for $300.00)

PS, can anyone loan me $300.00

Old 10-08-2009, 05:24 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
thats not Exhaust Depot guy thats Eisenmann. I was just looking at it about a week ago.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:52 AM
Stig One
Banned
it is made by Gthaus in Ill .

Old 10-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Kirkland
2nd Gear
I cleaned up my engine bay today and checked my boost tubes after experiencing boost cuts. Both hot and cold are cut and now worthless. These tubes had to be wedged in to fit so, yes, the design should have never gone into production. Hopefully, Alta will replace the tubes.

I had Samco hoses on my last car. They fit perfectly, were of high quality, and never wore out after years of high boost.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:38 PM
nysmo240
1st Gear
Just bought some boost tubes...and now I see this thread...

...should I get some kind of written statement from Alta saying if these tubes defect within a certain period due to improper manufacturing, they'll replace them free of charge? Even though I'm getting them at 50% off, this really worrying me.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Argencooper
1st Gear
If you want to put it, I recomend to make a kind of "reinforcementt" in those places were probably will be cutted and check them periodically

You can see in the photos where will be.

Do not expect anything from Alta, as you can see, no answer in this post from Adam and staff....

Old 10-10-2009, 03:12 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't buy defective products. Send it back, otherwise you have to spend time and effort playing around with it all the time.

You will be wasting money when you have to throw it away and can get stranded if it leaks.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:50 PM
nysmo240
1st Gear
Yep...I may have to reinforce those contact points with double sided sticky taped bendable sheet metal with zip ties when I get mine...sucks! There aren't any issues with the intake tubing is there? I also ordered one from their 50% off sale...and was wondering why they were selling at such a discount! I thought either they were going out of business, but now I know...it's to get rid of inventory that isn't moving it seems.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:03 PM
nysmo240
1st Gear
So I got a call from Chris in Tech Support after I emailed them to cancel my order for the boost tubes and their BOV. He said if anyone has a problem, to email him at tech@altaperformance.com. However, he failed to mention or acknowledge that they were aware of this issue. And they charged my CC even after I told them to cancel my order...

Old 10-13-2009, 12:11 AM
eg0911
3rd Gear
hehe nysmo i understand your pain, its a problem and they havent been proactive about fixing it. They have also been steering clear of all the forum posts about how bad their company is, which is good because they use to dig themselves into a hole when they tried to defend their business practices, im sorry for your problems with alta and i hope you can get the problem fixed ASAP just a little FYI you have to want it and continue to call them till they fix the problem, they wont go out of their way to fix something that is obviously not right so you need to persist. good luck

Old 10-13-2009, 01:43 AM
MIN 18
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who sells boost tubes other than Alta? I don't like the Alta brand also. I think all of their products are made in China. I have an NM engineering discharge pipe and I'm very much impressed with the quality of their product. However, they don't have a boost tube yet.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:40 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MIN 18
Who sells boost tubes other than Alta? I don't like the Alta brand also. I think all of their products are made in China. I have an NM engineering discharge pipe and I'm very much impressed with the quality of their product. However, they don't have a boost tube yet.
Samco makes the most complete setup of boost tubes for the R56. The most reliable source is Chad over at Detroit Tuned. What's also great is how many colors are available!

www.detroittuned.com

I'm gradually swapping my Alta tubes and will someday get the Samco turbo inlet tube because my Alta one rubs on my DDM race intake system hood scoop.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:48 AM
btwdriver
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 for Chad at Detroit Tuned. I just ordered a set of Samco intercooler hoses as well as the cold side boost tube to replace my Alta hoses. I have 2 Alta hoses that are developing holes, the hot side as well as the cold side.

I wish I knew then what I know now about the fitment and quality issues with all the Alta parts.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:49 AM
eg0911
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MIN 18
exhaustdepot.com he sells a set of hard pipes, these are the best you can buy right now

Old 10-15-2009, 03:34 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by btwdriver
+1 for Chad at Detroit Tuned. I just ordered a set of Samco intercooler hoses as well as the cold side boost tube to replace my Alta hoses. I have 2 Alta hoses that are developing holes, the hot side as well as the cold side.

I wish I knew then what I know now about the fitment and quality issues with all the Alta parts.
What put a hole in the hot side tube? Was it because it was rubbing on the coolant bottle?

Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM
btwdriver
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
What put a hole in the hot side tube? Was it because it was rubbing on the coolant bottle?
No, not the coolant bottle. On the back of the radiator there is an electrical connector that the hose was rubbing on. The real issue, is the Intercooler. The coupler on the hot side is too short. This causes the hot side intercooler hose to be pressed closer to the back side of the radiator than it should be.... anyway... it's pretty much par for the course with Alta, generally good ideas, just poor execution.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:22 PM
jcap287
School away from MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no way I could get the ED hard pipe with the bov on it ? or Do I have to get both?

Old 10-20-2009, 08:40 PM
krim
5th Gear
Well I was helping a friend check his pipe and he also has rubbing issues. Mine wasn't as bad as his, but i'd say his is about 1/2 way thru.

The hot side pipe is rubbing against an electronics piece as mentioned earlier in the thread, you'll know it by orange/red coil of wire running around it.

Here's my solution since mine wasn't terrible, sorry no photos, I was in a hurry and rather dirty when I did mine.

First, I filled the divet in with hi-temp silicone caulking I had left over .
Next, I put a spare hose clamp (size 34 i think) around the spot where the rubbing occurs and tightened it so that it is snug.
Then, after reinstalling bottom first, I checked the position of the steel band in relation to the top corner of protruding e-box, adjusted up and down and tightened it another turn and a half (or so). Do be sure the clamp be centered towards the top corner of the box to allow for movement. The box should just glide around the smooth steel band instead of digging into the tube.

The wet silicone should hold the clamp in place should there be an deflating of the pipe and it wasn't tighened enough to cause any bottlenecking. I'd suggest checking every so often, like when checking oil levels, just to be sure it hasn't moved.

So, if you just installed and don't want to buy another pipe or kit just yet, this should hold you over til you decide/afford/need to get a replacement. If anyone needs photos, let me know and ill try to take some when I have time (and daylight)

Note that I never got around to installing the cold side, and he didn't buy one, so no help there.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:18 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by slinger688
Well, hoses are wear items but cuts from poor fit is not normal wear. The OEM hoses don't have these problems.
The OEM hoses are also not silicon they are plastic and clear the contacts point that the cold pipe hits

Old 11-05-2009, 06:33 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by phillipcoopersgates
The OEM hoses are also not silicon they are plastic and clear the contacts point that the cold pipe hits
The OEM hoses are not silicon or plastic but rubber.

The cold tube is too large in diameter to clear the obstacles along its path in the engine bay. It is just a bad design which has not been fully tested.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:50 AM
eg0911
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jcap287
There's no way I could get the ED hard pipe with the bov on it ? or Do I have to get both?
he has 2 set sitting in his shop last time i was there, he has 1 set with the bov on it, and he has one set with no bov. call and ask they will help you out

Old 11-11-2009, 06:01 PM
svaldes
1st Gear
Class action law suit anyone?

Alta, what is your stand on this issue?

Old 11-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Kirkland
2nd Gear
alta's position is that you buy their parts and keep quiet when they break!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Problems with Alta boost tubes, check yours!!