Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain GT2560R Turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:03 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may just have to try and get my Unichip back, who did I sell that to again?

Old 06-03-2017, 04:55 AM
Azsr56jcw
1st Gear
desperate help required in Oz

Originally Posted by XaLia
There are many ecu softwares recommended for a tuned mini
with an oem turbocharger!!
If you have installed a turbo kit then i believe that you search a lot to find
a good tuner!!
Mine is a greek tuner who managed to reprogram my mini
in 3 hours!!
One on the road and two on the dyno!!
hi there, I'm only new to being part of a forum, but looking at how passionate everyone here is about there minis I couldn't resist.

im from Australia but there are no clubs or any real support here for mini lovers, specifics gen 2 minis. I have a 2009 R56 JCW with the following mods.

FMIC
Oil cooler kit
koda coils
all silicone hose repalced
3" exhaust
RMW tune
Os Giken clutch
head ported and polished with supertec everything
CP Pistons with H beam rods, all new bearings
everthing ARP had is in there too
list goes on so you get the idea.
issue is now my turbo finally **** itself and I'm in need of an upgrade, my tune seems to be lacking too, it doesn't like the new schrick cams and goes into limp mode.

so my question is what is the best turbo upgrade and what tunes will sort out my cam problem, any advice would be great

regards

Az

PS your mini rocks and when I come to Greece I'll be dropping in 👍

Old 06-03-2017, 10:58 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
welcome,
manic tuning is probably your best bet for tuning, they seem to have a good share of the r56 cars tuned, also tuned cars with similar mods as you have.

for turbos the garretts will require a new manifold or adapter to the stock one, custom downpipe, intake tube, oil/water lines, probably some relocation of existing stuff under the hood, etc. but you will have a nice one off car and if you wanted to go big enough, will make more power than a k04 ever would.
alternatively, there are a few companies that are putting out big k04 turbos that will drop right in, with the only mod may be a larger inlet pipe for the turbo, and get you up over 300 whp

Old 06-03-2017, 04:48 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Check the Manic website for an installer close to you. Then talk to them about an Owens turbo, which is supported by Manic tunes. They're almost a plug-n-play turbo, maybe larger inlet plumbing. My Garrett takes a much larger inlet, outlet, external DV and boost controller, manifold adapter, new oil and coolant hoses, hood mods so it'll fit --- much easier to go with an Owens. Initial cost is high but virtually minimal installation costs.

Manic also did my most recent tune --- with an upgrade to Cat Cams, so they can tune to more than just OEM cams.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Azsr56jcw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Check the Manic website for an installer close to you. Then talk to them about an Owens turbo, which is supported by Manic tunes. They're almost a plug-n-play turbo, maybe larger inlet plumbing. My Garrett takes a much larger inlet, outlet, external DV and boost controller, manifold adapter, new oil and coolant hoses, hood mods so it'll fit --- much easier to go with an Owens. Initial cost is high but virtually minimal installation costs.

Manic also did my most recent tune --- with an upgrade to Cat Cams, so they can tune to more than just OEM cams.
unfortunately im in Australia so I don't have the option of finding a local Manic tuner when ch sucks, I might message them and see what they can do, I was hoping Jan from RMW would have a tune I could have but he doesn't appear to want to help much.

what Garret are you running, I noticed you can get a 2860 2867 and a 2871 now as a kit, anyone had one of these installed already, I would imagine the 71 would be insane to drive Broken number three piston, how it all started
As my little sleeper sits now
Empty wallet
Since this pic was taken I replaced the over flow with an alloy one and all the radiator hoses with silicone

Old 06-04-2017, 11:08 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
One dealer in Australia, about as "local" as you're gonna get. Here's the contact info from Manic's web site --- http://www.manicmini.com/dealer-map/4586066233

Jan is good at what he does, but customer service isn't on his list of high priorities. Maybe if you buy a complete engine pkg from him, you could keep his attention, but just a tune --- get in line for service.

Yes, a big Garrett 71 in a Mini would be insane to drive. An Owens is much more logical for a great street machine, and it's one of Manic's favorites to tune for.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:54 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Azsr56jcw
unfortunately im in Australia so I don't have the option of finding a local Manic tuner when ch sucks, I might message them and see what they can do, I was hoping Jan from RMW would have a tune I could have but he doesn't appear to want to help much.

what Garret are you running, I noticed you can get a 2860 2867 and a 2871 now as a kit, anyone had one of these installed already, I would imagine the 71 would be insane to drive Broken number three piston, how it all started
As my little sleeper sits now
Empty wallet
Since this pic was taken I replaced the over flow with an alloy one and all the radiator hoses with silicone
what turbo blanket and how's it fit? any pics of it installed?

Old 06-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Azsr56jcw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by randeez
what turbo blanket and how's it fit? any pics of it installed?
theblanket I bought was woven Kevlar but it was as to big, I'll put it on the next turbo I buy as it will be bigger, so my two choices are an Owens turbo or the GTX2867R, what's everyone's thoughts on these, last thing I was is a turbo which is going to max itself out. Looking at the Owens I'm concerned it's too small, with the new bigger cams, ported and polished head and Ne Ti gear fitted I think there is room for more. I'm headed to the USA in 16 days now so I need to buy one and ship it to my inlaws so I can suite case it back "free shipping 👍"

Old 06-04-2017, 04:09 PM
randeez
4th Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-member-5.html

Is the biggest k04 you're going to find

http://prototype-r.com/?product=ko4-hybrid

Last edited by randeez; 06-04-2017 at 04:30 PM.