Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Anyone try this intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Tsar
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboMini
we share the same sentiment

how about this one from Gruppe M. Yours today for the low introductory price of only $1400! (plus shipping )
That looks nice! but not $1400 nice... DDM works has essentially the same thing for 1/3 of the price.

Why is it so $$$?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsar
That looks nice! but not $1400 nice... DDM works has essentially the same thing for 1/3 of the price.

Why is it so $$$?
Gruppe M stuff always is...

It's all carbon fiber...which is cool, but completely useless in this sense.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:16 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Gruppe M stuff always is...

It's all carbon fiber...which is cool, but completely useless in this sense.
I'm new I didn't know about them being overpriced all the time

And yes I agree it's completely useless in this application...

Old 02-10-2009, 07:08 AM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tsar
I'm new I didn't know about them being overpriced all the time

And yes I agree it's completely useless in this application...
Dont you know???!!! Carbon Fiber adds an extra 10 HP.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:25 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SomethingNew71
Dont you know???!!! Carbon Fiber adds an extra 10 HP.
I thought Type-R stickers added 10HP?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:07 AM
accordselux
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Forge Motorsport carbon fiber intake on mine, it's a much smaller intake canister, not a $1400 hood scoop setup, and it's been fine for me. Still looks good, sealed from the hot air off the turbo, and the BOV sound is still present, but not as loud as with an exposed filter element. It's only $260 too, compared to the M7 and GruppeM units

Old 02-11-2009, 10:49 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
SomethingNew71
i have the ddm street and before opening my scoop there was a very noticeable decrease in power. after opening, i feel i came back to stock MAYBE a little better but thats questionable....opening your scoop will not give u unwanted debris, mine has been wide open for months and everything is completely fine....if ur gonna do it, go ddm open scoop and ur set...try and find the ddm or even altas used, i got mine used for 120, marketplace is a good place to look.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fronjoni
SomethingNew71
i have the ddm street and before opening my scoop there was a very noticeable decrease in power. after opening, i feel i came back to stock MAYBE a little better but thats questionable....opening your scoop will not give u unwanted debris, mine has been wide open for months and everything is completely fine....if ur gonna do it, go ddm open scoop and ur set...try and find the ddm or even altas used, i got mine used for 120, marketplace is a good place to look.
By opening the scoop do you mean removing that plastic insert from inside the scoop itself, completely, or just drilling out all the holes and leaving it in place?

Sorry I'm new

Old 02-11-2009, 11:36 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
remove the the whole plastic thing and throw it in the trash you will never need it again.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:20 AM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
remove the the whole plastic thing and throw it in the trash you will never need it again.
Unless your hood scoop melts. Dealer wont cover a replacement if the black piece is missing from the scoop. They say its "reinforcement". I would dremel out the holes in plastic thing. Then you can keep that grille look without compromising the warranty.

Also I ended up choosing the Street Intake Intake from DDM Works. Does anyone know if the RIS scoop system will fit with NM engineering's strut brace?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:29 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
[quote=SomethingNew71;2664867]Unless your hood scoop melts. Dealer wont cover a replacement if the black piece is missing from the scoop. They say its "reinforcement".quote]

not be arguementative but, your scoop is more likely if not positively going to melt if you KEEP that plastic thing there, even with the holes dremeled out. do a test for yourself....

dremel the holes, drive the car, get the temps up and then park the car and see/feel how much air is coming out of the scoop.

then do the same thing with the whole plastic piece removed....

youll see that with the plastic piece removed there is a WHOLE lot more hot air gushing out of the scoop....whereas, with the holes dremeled out, its moving a lot slower....which means the air gets trapped under teh scoop and causes it to melt....take it from me, i have gone through 2 melted scoops.....sure they replaced them, big whoopdeedaa 75 dollar cheap plastic scoop being replaced by OH look another 75 dollar cheap plastic scoop.....its a pos man you dont need the warranty for it....dont buy all the bs these dealers dish out theyre morons.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:47 AM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
[quote=fronjoni;2664880]
Unless your hood scoop melts. Dealer wont cover a replacement if the black piece is missing from the scoop. They say its "reinforcement".quote]

not be arguementative but, your scoop is more likely if not positively going to melt if you KEEP that plastic thing there, even with the holes dremeled out. do a test for yourself....

dremel the holes, drive the car, get the temps up and then park the car and see/feel how much air is coming out of the scoop.

then do the same thing with the whole plastic piece removed....

youll see that with the plastic piece removed there is a WHOLE lot more hot air gushing out of the scoop....whereas, with the holes dremeled out, its moving a lot slower....which means the air gets trapped under teh scoop and causes it to melt....take it from me, i have gone through 2 melted scoops.....sure they replaced them, big whoopdeedaa 75 dollar cheap plastic scoop being replaced by OH look another 75 dollar cheap plastic scoop.....its a pos man you dont need the warranty for it....dont buy all the bs these dealers dish out theyre morons.
Touche well I just really like that look of the grill piece there . But I hear you dealers like to shovel a lot of sh**. Maybe I should just get M7's sweet scoop and avoid the whole thing all together hahaha.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:08 PM
baboon7
Neutral
Hello, I'm new to this board and i'm too looking for an intake system. went to NAmotorsports.net and saw this. any good? I saw a thread by one of the members and he liked it...

Old 02-13-2009, 12:11 PM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
Originally Posted by baboon7
Hello, I'm new to this board and i'm too looking for an intake system. went to NAmotorsports.net and saw this. any good? I saw a thread by one of the members and he liked it...

It sure is pretty. I havent used it though. Doesnt look all that different from Alta's in basic design.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:36 PM
baboon7
Neutral
Doesnt look all that different from Alta's in basic design.
pretty much... i've talked to Kappasphere (no relation to this new vendor) whom distributes NM Engineering parts, the main differences are; the MAF location which is better aligned with the filter and they claimed they proofed it, and the aluminum tubing which will not collapse under heavy suction or dirty filter.

They do cost about the same with Alta's full system...

Old 02-13-2009, 12:55 PM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ng-intake.html

Heres a review of the NM engineering Intake.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:25 PM
AkFarina
Banned
does the air coming from the intake help cool the turbo? wont a airintake direct from the scoop to filter raise under hood temp?

Old 02-15-2009, 05:52 PM
namotorsports
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by baboon7

We've sold quite a few of these since they were released and everyone's been very happy. If you don't know, NM Engineering is owned by Neuspeed who has made Volkswagen/Audi parts for years. Their engineering, quality, fit and fitment is excellent and I think the parts fit almost as well as OEM. We stock the full line of NM Engineering parts and would be happy to help you if you have any more questions.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:34 PM
killasha
1st Gear
im thinking of either the m7 super ags or the ddm ris system? any feed back on either ?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 AM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
Originally Posted by killasha
im thinking of either the m7 super ags or the ddm ris system? any feed back on either ?
I have heard really good things about the RIS system from DDMworks. I dont know very much about the super-ags though.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:28 PM
fronjoni
4th Gear
the super ags is a joke, it should be in an intake spoof cartoon.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:23 AM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
the super ags is a joke, it should be in an intake spoof cartoon.
what makes you say that?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:14 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
it just makes me laugh when i see it.....bigger is not always better....., and when it comes to intakes, none of htem make any real power....and im sure there are a 1000 ppl that will chime in and say oh its good oh its this, but thats just good marketing...its unecessary, its too big....

Old 02-17-2009, 08:36 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
I have heard really good things about the RIS system from DDMworks. I dont know very much about the super-ags though.
The RIS is top notch, and with the scoop attached to the bonnet, you don't have that godawful looking monstrosity lurching over your engine.

As far as the strut brace, I know DDM is working on one that is compatible with the RIS. That's what I'm waiting on myself.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:14 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wbarnhill
The RIS is top notch, and with the scoop attached to the bonnet, you don't have that godawful looking monstrosity lurching over your engine.

As far as the strut brace, I know DDM is working on one that is compatible with the RIS. That's what I'm waiting on myself.
werent they working on one for the street too....
i saw pictures of prototypes, but never anything in production.....
anybody know what happened with that?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Anyone try this intake?