Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain About cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Tsar
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noegel
Um, the foam filters have a steel mesh inside them as well... that means no big chunks of crap getting through as well...

I don't know how something like a bolt would get through!
I think that can only be due to user problem/error...

Old 02-06-2009, 10:02 AM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by FrankiePR
From the looks of it doesn't it restrict maintanance? It seems to go over the engine, isn't there a situation of heat of the engine heating the system?
Regarding maintainance, M7 says this:

6. We also kept servicing the engine in mind. The filter element can be cleaned and re-oiled by opening up the filter compartment at the rear of the intake box. Oil can be changed without removing the AGS-R. For spark plug service, just remove the AGS-R (two M6 button head screws) and loosen the rubber downtube. This is a simple process that takes no longer than a couple minutes.

Having installed and removed it twice, I didn't find it a big hassle, but there is some.

Regarding heat, M7 says this:

1. Composite construction minimizing heat soak of the intake box.

9. Heat is enemy numero uno under the hood of the R56. Since part of the AGS-R sits above the turbo, a simple but very effective heatshield is included with the intake. For those wanting a step above, we offer an aerogel insert to futher defend against the heat. This will essentially be the same as the Turbo Heatshield we sell separately.

The heatshield is not shown in the photo, so I had the same concern. I called M7 to discuss this specifically. I found the heatshield a snap to install, and it basically covers the same area covered by the stock heatshield. It sits above the stock one, so there is an air space to help with heat dissipation. I also wnet for the optional liner, and find the heatshield to be quite effective.

The opening if the intake lines up nicely with the hood scoop, which I have opened completely. To me this seems the best way of getting cold outside air into the system without radical modifications. The other "CAI" systems I've seen draw in air from near the rear side of the engine, which I suspect is warmer than the outside air.

Anyway, I like it and it looks spectacular!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:44 AM
FrankiePR
2nd Gear
^ thanks for the info. One last question tho! I was also looking at the DDMWorks RIS, then I started thinking that if the RIS is taking all of the scoops air supply none would be left to cool other engine componets, is the AGS-R lined up in a way that some of the incoming air is used for engine cooling? Or is this not an issue since the scoops come closed from factory?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:51 AM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Great question!

^ thanks for the info. One last question tho! I was also looking at the DDMWorks RIS, then I started thinking that if the RIS is taking all of the scoops air supply none would be left to cool other engine componets, is the AGS-R lined up in a way that some of the incoming air is used for engine cooling? Or is this not an issue since the scoops come closed from factory?
My scoop was fully closed, so none of the air passing over the hood provided engine cooling. There is a gap between the AGS-R intake and the scoop, so when I opened up the scoop I got the added benefit of some incoming air cooling the engine.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:03 AM
FrankiePR
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info! Now the only problem is the price! LOL let's start saving some dolares!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 AM
ATCQL
5th Gear
If you end up purchasing the JCW CAI,i have a JCW exhaust and tips that have never been out of the box.Q

Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 AM
myminirox
3rd Gear
One more thing.......

Thanks for the info! Now the only problem is the price! LOL let's start saving some dolares!
if you pop out the plugs on the "sound ports" you get some great volume as well (hehe).

Old 02-09-2009, 04:33 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
I run a dry filter made by AEM on my diy intake.
NICE!

-can you tell me what you used ...do you have a link to the AEM filter? ..what about hose attachments? -did you use a 90degree elbow hose? ...is the filter mounted anywhere? -or does it sit pretty snug in place?

would love more description of what you did,
thanks,

Old 02-09-2009, 08:31 PM
sir5150
3rd Gear
NICE!

-can you tell me what you used ...do you have a link to the AEM filter? ..what about hose attachments? -did you use a 90degree elbow hose? ...is the filter mounted anywhere? -or does it sit pretty snug in place?

would love more description of what you did,
thanks,]
I used p/n 21-2029dk aem filter, I machined billet piece out 1/4 thk aluminum folded it, then had it welded the mass air flow sensor bolts to it and the filter goes on to mass air flow sensor. Then I used a 90 deg ebow to connect it together. There is an 1 3/4 adapter tube to connect the 90 to intake tube. I have a alta intake tube to finish it off but kind of on back order for 8weeks. The aluminum piece is bolted into the two rubber bushings from the stock air cleaner. www.aempower.com

Last edited by sir5150; 12-31-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Classic Mini sells parts at a very competiitve. Word has it that give a discount if you mention NAM

Old 02-10-2009, 08:02 AM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Noegel
In my directions for the ALTA Intake, if you have to much oil on the filter and it contaminates the Mass Air Flow thing, all you need to do it spray it with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, let it dry, and you're set.

Just make sure there isn't oil residue on the filter. Sop it up with a paper towel and rag.
Spray it in the MAF?

Old 02-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
That is what I remember it saying... check out ALTA's website and download the instructions for the Cold Air Intake... it will say it near the end.