Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain About cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Jinhan E. Kim
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About cold air intake

I have decided to get a JCW cai. Thus I went 1fastmini.com to order it and got the repeating error on submitting. Finally, I got pissed off and I'll never visit their site. I wonder where else I can get a JCW cai. Please let me know.

In case of that I have to give it up, I will go with alta cai or ddm cai. Which is better? Is there anyone who used both? Share with me your idea. Thank you.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:46 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Dealer maybe? That will prob be expensive though I spose...

I have the DDM and have always been pleased with it. All the open "cai's" basically sound, perform, and do the same thing though. Do yourself a favor and choose the least expensive. (aka the DDM...plus I like the design of it better than Alta's)

Old 01-29-2009, 01:17 AM
Jinhan E. Kim
1st Gear
thx for the reply

I am leaning to ddm but I have one worry. While alta uses the foam filter, ddm uses the k&m paper filter. I know the k&m filter is cool, but I've seen the post saying a bolt sucked in through the paper k&m filter and destroyed the entire engine. This is why I asked about alta and ddm. Is it really risky to have the open paper filter? Any ideas, anyone? Thank you.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:07 AM
ltjpunk7
4th Gear
DDM gives you the option of K&N or UNI (foam). Also, if your first inclination was to get the JCW, why don't you just trying calling 1fastmini? I'm sure you could get it figured out.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 AM
AkFarina
Banned
the ddm filter and alta filter work just as well as the jcw for half the price.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:52 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
morristownmini.com

under accessory

they prob have the cheapest oem/jcw products that they ship on the market

Old 01-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Jinhan E. Kim
1st Gear
thank you guys

itj - now ddm offers only the k&n filter I guess.

pillar - I checked but they don't have it. But thank you.

Recently, I'm still considering the CAI. I can't decide which one with alta and ddm. I know theoretically they're the same but the difference is the filter. Is a foam filter that good? I know k&n filters are cool but some insist foams are better for a CAI. (I even read the post saying a bolt sucked through the k&n filter and it destroyed the whole engine.) I need help for this.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:24 PM
ltjpunk7
4th Gear
What I did was order the Alta filter by itself (not the full CAI) and then bought a t-clamp and a silicone elbow. I think the filter was like $40, the elbow and clamp ~$20. I can't remember, because it's been over a year, but I had less than $75 in the setup. If you ask me, I essentially have an Alta CAI for a 1/3 the price (just don't have the shroud that goes between elbow and filter). That's what I'd recommend.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:15 PM
ImCBParker
2nd Gear
Morristown Mini sells it for the same price as 1fastmini. Ordered mine earlier this week.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Tsar
4th Gear
Any particular reason some of you want to go with the JCW? or is it just looks motivated?

Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 PM
ImCBParker
2nd Gear
Reliable performance, seemless install, mini brand, compliments existing JCW exhaust, and not as loud as others. Looks not a factor.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:29 AM
FrankiePR
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tsar
Any particular reason some of you want to go with the JCW? or is it just looks motivated?
I've read several times here on these foroums that the JCW intake is actually quite good. It's really a shame it's not what's included with the factory JCW. If looking stock is important to you and not having exesive sound, it seem it might be the way to go, yet why pay more and have less performance if " stock looking" is not your concearn. Unless I'm mistaken and the JCW intake IS THAT good!! Some one certect me, please, if I'm wrong!?!?

Old 02-03-2009, 05:38 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by FrankiePR
I've read several times here on these foroums that the JCW intake is actually quite good. It's really a shame it's not what's included with the factory JCW. If looking stock is important to you and not having exesive sound, it seem it might be the way to go, yet why pay more and have less performance if " stock looking" is not your concearn. Unless I'm mistaken and the JCW intake IS THAT good!! Some one certect me, please, if I'm wrong!?!?
Bolded is quite understandable, although stock looking or excessive noise are not things I think about when it comes to the intake. I will be buying a cai in the near future and I was just wondering about the rational of people who wanted to pay more for essentially the same product. I treat all cai's the same, and in my opinion one just pays for the looks in most cases. I have had several of them (different cars) and all of them had K/N filter and were attached to a plastic or a metal pipe . Now loudness of the exhaust is something I care about, but this is not a thread to disccuss that.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:04 AM
ImCBParker
2nd Gear
While the JCW may cost more than the other two, it is so nominal compared to the overall cost of the car. The JCW CAI can be had for $300, at various retailors. Alta is $240 and DDM $190. I know to some the difference does not seem worth it, but I would rather have JCW and not have the sound, and honestly looks of the other two in my engine bay. Call me a Mini enthusiast, but I would prefer to have top Mini parts, even if for brand purposes only.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:34 AM
got.pho?
4th Gear
you should get the jcw tuning kit save up and get the most bang for your buck youd ''pay more'' a la cart

Old 02-03-2009, 10:31 AM
ImCBParker
2nd Gear
While generally true, it cost me less than $700 for intake and exhaust ordered seperately, installation was basically nothing, and my ECU upgrade will be done for close to nothing, so in my case, it worked out.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:12 PM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Have you considered...

The AGS-R from M7?

Pricey, but it includes the heatshield.

http://www.m7tuning.com/parts/produc...roducts_id=117

Old 02-03-2009, 01:50 PM
investigator
4th Gear
I recently read that one has to be very diligent in not overoiling the K&N filters because if one does so it screws up the mass air sensor. Does anyone have any experience with that issue?

Old 02-04-2009, 12:48 AM
x1morethanux
1st Gear
Dang.. the AGS-R dominates the competition looks wise. Does anyone have it who can comment on how it performs?

Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by x1morethanux
Dang.. the AGS-R dominates the competition looks wise. Does anyone have it who can comment on how it performs?

There are a couple of threads here on NAM about it, just do a search. Most people seem to love it, as do I. In fact, I haven't seen one negative review or post about it.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:25 PM
FrankiePR
2nd Gear
From the looks of it doesn't it restrict maintanance? It seems to go over the engine, isn't there a situation of heat of the engine heating the system?

Last edited by FrankiePR; 02-04-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by investigator
I recently read that one has to be very diligent in not overoiling the K&N filters because if one does so it screws up the mass air sensor. Does anyone have any experience with that issue?
In my directions for the ALTA Intake, if you have to much oil on the filter and it contaminates the Mass Air Flow thing, all you need to do it spray it with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, let it dry, and you're set.

Just make sure there isn't oil residue on the filter. Sop it up with a paper towel and rag.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:00 PM
WYSIWYG
2nd Gear
I've had K&N on my truck and a couple dirt bikes as well as Uni's (foam) on a couple other dirt bikes that I take to Burning Man and Pismo beach all the time. Both work fine. The K&N has layers of cotton gauze sandwiched between two steel mesh screens. It's very solid and while you could probably bend it if you stepped on it, I can't see how a bolt could get sucked through it. If it's fitted propperly, no debris is going to get through. It would be FAR easier for the foam of a Uni to rip and let crap through than the mesh surrounding a K&N. If you're really worried, you can get a removable, silicone impregnated nylon pre-filter for added protection. And you would have to put a lot of oil on it for it to contaminate the MAF. It would basically have to be dripping off. You could have the same issue with a Uni. I find it much harder to get the excess oil off of my foam dirt bike filters and have to clean the filter oil out of my carbs and airbox from time to time. Spraying the oil onto the K&N is much easier to control and I've never had the MAF contaminated on my truck.

Good luck,
-C

Old 02-05-2009, 06:26 AM
sir5150
3rd Gear
I run a dry filter made by AEM on my diy intake.

Last edited by sir5150; 12-31-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
Um, the foam filters have a steel mesh inside them as well... that means no big chunks of crap getting through as well...

I don't know how something like a bolt would get through!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain About cold air intake