Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Catback/DP question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:00 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Catback/DP question

OK I see that the Alta CB is around $600-700. Is that installed? And you don't really get any performance with that unless you add downtubes. How much HP do you get? Does the exhaust sound different after the DT are added to the CB? How much are the DTs installed? I assume they are Alta as well.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:52 PM
reyd1
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, the price is only for the parts. Labor is extra. Not to sure about HP figures on cat-back vs full turbo-back.

If you have the tools and the time, you will save lots of $$$ doing it yourself.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:03 PM
masterd78
MANIAC
If you want to do the whole shabang, use exhaust depot. You can get the whole Turboback setup for less than the alta. Also, from what I have heard the Alta isn't that loud. So if you want some subtle exhaust change go with that. I personally have the Invidia exhaust and love the sound.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:05 AM
matty125
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The catbacks are NOT as powerful as the full Downpipe kit. I put the catback on the car and it didnt open up with good sound until about 1200 miles. I only noticed sound improvement no power. However I put a downpipe on the car later on to complete a full turbo back and the car is noticeable faster. Instead of waiting for the turbo to spool you have it instantly. People say there is no lag in the sytem, those people havent driven one with a dp.
Regardless of what system you buy, you WANT A DOWNPIPE if you want to gain power. Everyone talks about this Invidia, yet its just another cat back.
Take yourself to a muffler shop have them weld up a magnaflow for you. For the money involved this is the best sound.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:18 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by matty125
Everyone talks about this Invidia, yet its just another cat back.
Only, the best sounding catback.....

Everyone who buys one absolutely loves it, for a reason!

Old 09-14-2008, 01:44 PM
masterd78
MANIAC
Don't worry, I will get a downpipe soon, I just don't want a CEL to be thrown.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Chris Chappell
3rd Gear
Agreed with matty125 about the downpipe addition. Additionally, the Alta cb was a little reverb / drone oriented after installation so I added some dynamat to quiet everything down.

Incidentally, the exhaust price from Alta is without labor. The additional cost was roughly $250 for my install.

The other consideration is that with the cb system installed my check engine light came on (oxygen sensor) a few times this summer. Major pia but no performance changes as far as I could tell.

In the future I'd probably just go with the factory JCW kit dealer installed and avoid all the cost / hassle of performance add-ons. Plus retain warranty integrity. Live and learn.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:40 PM
matty125
5th Gear
As for CEL, I never had a single one, not when I ran the catback, not now that I have a Full 3inch from turbo BACK.
As for everyone loving the Invidia, I guess I just need to hear one in person. After having a great catback already, anything less than a full system (turbo back) does not impress me. You can sound good.....or you can bolt a DP on and be simply badazz. I love my system, I WISH MY NEW CLAMPS FROM ALTA WOULD SHOW UP SO I CAN RESOLVE MY LEAKS...ADAM!.... however in 6th gear its just is not loud enough even at 6 grand. I think Im driving too fast to hear it...
Im currently experimenting on some other mufflers and a cat delete mid section (1) The challenge is too find a muffler thats different sounding than the readily available ones ( In America) and to have a reasonable price.

Last edited by matty125; 09-15-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:30 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
however in 6th gear ... at 6 grand.
umm.. what speed would that equate to?

Old 09-15-2008, 04:57 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
=[ on sport compact car dyno, mazda speed got 30-50 on vibrant catbakc and corksport (i think that was it) downpipe.... im jealous

Old 09-15-2008, 09:54 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
umm.. what speed would that equate to?
Ill get back to you, I have to go down the Autobahn today to Frankfurt, its fast however

Old 09-15-2008, 11:13 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Ill get back to you, I have to go down the Autobahn today to Frankfurt, its fast however

at 3k rpm i'm doing about 75mph.. double the rpms in the same gear doubles the mph yea? not bad.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
As for CEL, I never had a single one, not when I ran the catback, not now that I have a Full 3inch from turbo BACK.
As for everyone loving the Invidia, I guess I just need to hear one in person. After having a great catback already, anything less than a full system (turbo back) does not impress me. You can sound good.....or you can bolt a DP on and be simply badazz. I love my system, I WISH MY NEW CLAMPS FROM ALTA WOULD SHOW UP SO I CAN RESOLVE MY LEAKS...ADAM!.... however in 6th gear its just is not loud enough even at 6 grand. I think Im driving too fast to hear it...
Im currently experimenting on some other mufflers and a cat delete mid section (1) The challenge is too find a muffler thats different sounding than the readily available ones ( In America) and to have a reasonable price.
DAMN APO'S Just kidding! Those should be there anytime.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:55 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
The ALTA system is a GREAT system for folks that want ALL of the HP available to them, and minimal noise. The ALTA system sounds WAY better than stock, makes a nice "soulful" idle, and a nice authoritative roar at wide open throttle. All of which is amplified with the addition of the ALTA downpipe. More power and more sound. BUT, no resonance or drone at cruise which is a REAL advantage over many other systems.

We are looking into offering a non-resonated system as well. Will be louder but will have some addl. resonance that some will love and give them another option.

Let me know if anyone is interested. I will be testing it soon!

Old 09-16-2008, 12:28 PM
matty125
5th Gear
241 kmh or roughly 150 mph is 6 grand in 6th gear with my set up. All legal of course on Autobahn 5

Old 09-16-2008, 12:29 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
DAMN APO'S Just kidding! Those should be there anytime.
Ya YA, I still got some patience

Old 09-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Astro S
2nd Gear
I've got the Alta Cat-back and CAI. Don't know about hp gains as I've never dyno'd my car. One thing I can atest to though, my car definitely rev's much freer and quicker especially 3500 - 5000 and that makes for a quicker car! I'm very happy with the sound, look, fit n finish, performance gain for the money I spent.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:18 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Astro S
I've got the Alta Cat-back and CAI. Don't know about hp gains as I've never dyno'd my car. One thing I can atest to though, my car definitely rev's much freer and quicker especially 3500 - 5000 and that makes for a quicker car! I'm very happy with the sound, look, fit n finish, performance gain for the money I spent.
GREAT! Glad you like it all! PLEASE let me know if I can ever help in the future!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:31 AM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Astro S

+1

I couldnt agree more. It is hard to quantify the HP increase when you start adding (or subtracting rather) intake parts. But my car DEFINITELY revs faster and freer above 2500 rpm with just the Alta catback.

There was a very noticeable flat spot that is completely gone now. Also, my car would drop off seriously before redline where now it just starts to fall off AT redline.

From the various ECU tuning dynos that are just being reported, this dropoff near redline should be corrected safely by tuning alone. I like the idea of a DP, but I dont need my car any louder... and I would think (I could be way wrong here) that a DP would or could actually be overkill if you are looking for more top end power. The stock system should be able to provide more than enough pressure to spin the turbo at/near redline (if that is where you want more power).

-s

Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SuwaneeM3
+1

I couldnt agree more. It is hard to quantify the HP increase when you start adding (or subtracting rather) intake parts. But my car DEFINITELY revs faster and freer above 2500 rpm with just the Alta catback.

There was a very noticeable flat spot that is completely gone now. Also, my car would drop off seriously before redline where now it just starts to fall off AT redline.

From the various ECU tuning dynos that are just being reported, this dropoff near redline should be corrected safely by tuning alone. I like the idea of a DP, but I dont need my car any louder... and I would think (I could be way wrong here) that a DP would or could actually be overkill if you are looking for more top end power. The stock system should be able to provide more than enough pressure to spin the turbo at/near redline (if that is where you want more power).

-s
Happy things are good with you and you are happy with the improvements. If you do decide that a bit more noise is ok in the future, the DP would be a great addition. As the motor builds revs and is expelling more exhaust through the turbo the larger plumbing helps remove yet another road block to flow. But again, more significant once we add a tune onto the car.

Thanks again. Chat soon!