Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Turbo upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:36 AM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo upgrades

Snip

Last edited by unclemeat; 05-04-2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Snapped
Old 08-19-2008, 05:13 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Isn't that basically what they did with the JCW turbo? On the outside they are identical...so I'm pretty sure they just changed the internal compressor wheel. Not sure though...

Old 08-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Shrashmere
2nd Gear
Sounds to me like the R56 version of a pulley upgrade for the r53's.
Somebody should get on that, it sounds very promising.

Last edited by Shrashmere; 08-20-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:52 AM
Ben-Ja-Min
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Isn't that basically what they did with the JCW turbo? On the outside they are identical...so I'm pretty sure they just changed the internal compressor wheel. Not sure though...
Thats what I understood to be the extent of the turbo modifications for the JCW.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:19 AM
zarote
2nd Gear
Does anyone know who makes the turbo for Mini???

Old 08-20-2008, 10:25 AM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
Dont forget the compressor housing can probably be replaced or enlarged as well; this could increase flow rates for even the stock compressor wheel a bit due to the larger comp A/R.

First and formost we need some better specifics of our turbo and engine:

Engine Volumetic Efficiency: ?
Turbocharger Brand: ?
Turbine housing A/R: ?
Turbine Trim: ?
Compressor housing A/R: ?
Compressor Wheel Trim: ?
Ball bearing: ?

Anyone? Bueller? Wouldnt it be sweet if we we knew we could bolt up a compressor wheel and housing from a VolksWagen 1.8T or 2.0T turbo... or an older Saab/SPG turbo (I think they are of the T25 group).

Old 08-21-2008, 09:39 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by zarote
Does anyone know who makes the turbo for Mini???
BorgWarner

It's a KO3...twin scroll though...

Old 08-21-2008, 11:35 AM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Ko4 would be a good upgrade, I'm sure as soon as some of the tuners get on it, it will be an easy cost effective upgrade, but it needs to be made to work together, I.E injectors, tuning, manifolds ETC. Also how much will the stock internals handle and for how long before a booom happens?

Jack

Old 08-21-2008, 12:39 PM
intercoolest
4th Gear
More turbo or better intercooling?

Look at Defenders of Speed (DoS), a new vendor w/ NAM, before you go for a bigger turbo.....

www.defendersofspeed.com

Laminova (laminar flow cooling) Intercooler has 250% more effecient heat transfer than a plate/fin (radiator type) intercooler.

http://www.opcon.se/www/files/lamino...cool_21apr.pdf

Every 6 degrees F drop inlet temps = 1% HP gain.

MCG

Old 08-22-2008, 05:39 AM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
Snip

Last edited by unclemeat; 05-04-2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Snapped
Old 08-22-2008, 06:44 AM
japper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ben-Ja-Min
Thats what I understood to be the extent of the turbo modifications for the JCW.
Sounds likely, however the gasket between Turbo and downpipe is a different part no. This could mean just a different / thicker gasket, or could be an indication of a different flange / bolt pattern and hence different turbo housing not just compressor wheel.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:16 AM
littlehandegan
Originally Posted by unclemeat
Upgrading the intercooler simply reverses a problem caused by the turbo compressor:

Upgrading the turbo compressor should not have much effect on the engine internals. As it stands with the stock turbo, it runs out of steam in the upper RPM as efficiency drops off the map. This equals a huge rise in intake temperature charges, and lower boost pressures, requiring the intercooler to work much harder. In all, rise in temperatures could ultimatly promote detonation. Engine will go BOOM under lots of detonation.

Then why with the JCW upgrade do they go with new pistons, just for such small power? Once you start putting stronger turbos, more PSI, your going to need stronger internals ETC.

Jack

Old 08-25-2008, 05:35 PM
4cefed4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
Ko4 would be a good upgrade, I'm sure as soon as some of the tuners get on it, it will be an easy cost effective upgrade, but it needs to be made to work together, I.E injectors, tuning, manifolds ETC. Also how much will the stock internals handle and for how long before a booom happens?

Jack
A k04 is only going to yield about 25 HP over a k03s. You may be able to re-use the injectors depending on the stock duty cycle. You can definitely re-use the stock manifold and downpipe. I would expect a k04 kit to be out soon as well, and probably run somewhere in the $1200-1800 range, depending on the cost of software development.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:48 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 4cefed4
I would expect a k04 kit to be out soon as well, and probably run somewhere in the $1200-1800 range, depending on the cost of software development.
Don't get your hopes up.

As long as people are trying to devote their time and resources to develop and fix something like the UniChip, we're not going to see any of those big mods sadly.

If I had the money for R&D right now, I'd be all over it...since no one else is. Once people have a proper way to actually tune the ECU, the options should start to open hopefully.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:38 AM
littlehandegan
Yeah, it took us r53 guys almost 3 years or so to fullly get control of the ECU, so dont hold your breath!

Jack

Old 08-28-2008, 02:35 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
Yeah, it took us r53 guys almost 3 years or so to fullly get control of the ECU, so dont hold your breath!

Jack
This won't take quite as long, but I can say that the solution is JUST around the bend! But agreed out turbo kit is delayed strictly as a result of the ECU hold back.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:21 PM
LeeW
1st Gear
We're a turbo shop and a Borg Warner distributor and we've been planning to offer a couple of turbo upgrade options for the R56. One is simply the turbo which comes on the JCW which is the same as is being used in the European MINI Challenge Cup series. We've already had these turbos on order for many months and when they finally arrive, they are likely to be expensive, partially due to their costly high-nickel content twin scroll turbine housing. A second, much less expensive option mentioned earlier in this thread, is to create a hybrid turbo through parts replacement and remacining that duplicates the JCW turbo's performance using the stock R56 turbo as a starting point. This is not as simple as the first option as it involves needing to obtain customer turbo cores, but the more attractive price may make it the more popular option.

Neither of these approaches will provide huge hp gains; for that you will need to go to a much larger turbo and the custom plumbing that it would require. But if you're looking for just a moderate increase without losing much of the improved response of a twin scroll turbo, this could be a good option. Another benefit would be that these turbo upgrades would be externally undetectable and not jepordize your warranty or smog test.

We still need to perform some machinig trials, but we hope to have something to offer soon.

Rory
VeloTech Automotive

Old 09-08-2008, 07:03 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
This won't take quite as long, but I can say that the solution is JUST around the bend!
Thanks god!

I had a 135i for the weekend. Now back in Pretty Hate Machine. I missed it but it needs more grunt for sure. Can't wait much longer for this ECU crack. I'm about to tear out the computer and put a Holly carb on it.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:20 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LeeW
We're a turbo shop and a Borg Warner distributor and we've been planning to offer a couple of turbo upgrade options for the R56. One is simply the turbo which comes on the JCW which is the same as is being used in the European MINI Challenge Cup series. We've already had these turbos on order for many months and when they finally arrive, they are likely to be expensive, partially due to their costly high-nickel content twin scroll turbine housing. A second, much less expensive option mentioned earlier in this thread, is to create a hybrid turbo through parts replacement and remacining that duplicates the JCW turbo's performance using the stock R56 turbo as a starting point. This is not as simple as the first option as it involves needing to obtain customer turbo cores, but the more attractive price may make it the more popular option.

Neither of these approaches will provide huge hp gains; for that you will need to go to a much larger turbo and the custom plumbing that it would require. But if you're looking for just a moderate increase without losing much of the improved response of a twin scroll turbo, this could be a good option. Another benefit would be that these turbo upgrades would be externally undetectable and not jepordize your warranty or smog test.

We still need to perform some machinig trials, but we hope to have something to offer soon.

Rory
VeloTech Automotive
It all sounds good, but how do you plan on tuning them???

Old 09-09-2008, 11:01 AM
FRATER
1st Gear
This was sent to me by BorgWarner Turbo Systems GmbH.

Not sure if any of this info helps but just in case here it is.

See file which includes:

Manufacturer
Vehicle
Engine
From
kW
Rpm
Litres
Reference no.
Turbo part no.
Service turbo no.
Turbo make

Attached Files
File Type: xls
Turbodriven_Export Mini(1).xls (14.0 KB, 110 views)
Old 09-09-2008, 11:13 AM
cartar452
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by intercoolest
Look at Defenders of Speed (DoS), a new vendor w/ NAM, before you go for a bigger turbo.....

www.defendersofspeed.com

Laminova (laminar flow cooling) Intercooler has 250% more effecient heat transfer than a plate/fin (radiator type) intercooler.

http://www.opcon.se/www/files/lamino...cool_21apr.pdf

Every 6 degrees F drop inlet temps = 1% HP gain.

MCG
Is this the intercooler you're using? How is it? Looks similar to the RMW one.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:31 AM
LeeW
1st Gear
Those are certainly the correct part numbers for base R56 and JCW turbos from Borg Warner. As distributors, we also have access to a data base which allows for a part by part comparison of any two turbos. Unfortunately, this info has yet to be loaded for the JCW turbo which is why we want to examine one of those that we have on order so that we know exactly how it differs from the base unit.

To answer Thumper's question: we're not yet sure how, or even if, we're going to package the bigger turbo with an ECU change. Until recently, there hasn't been anyone claiming that they could sucessfully update the R56 ECU. Once we actually have hybrid turbos to test, we were going to contact some of the people that have tuning ability and go from there.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
That's no coincidence . . .

Originally Posted by cartar452
Is this the intercooler you're using? How is it? Looks similar to the RMW one.

My business partners developed the unit that RMW uses. AN R56 W2A IC unit is on the way. PM me if you want any more details.