Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Forge BOV for R56 '08

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:43 AM
toony15333
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forge BOV for R56 '08

Hi, I have been thinking about adding a BOV to my R56.. however, I would like you guys to recommend me which one should I get... eventually i might get a cold-air intake but not now... and if possible a link to the product u are mentioning

also... are all BOV universal for all cars? let say, if my cooper still has its stock turbo, can I add any universal BOV to it? or do I need to look up for a particular type? And my friend told me to ask which type would be best for my car : 100% recirculation bpv/50-50 hyrbid/100% VTA ?

basically what i am looking is more about having the "Pshhh" sound

Thanks

Old 09-09-2008, 07:53 AM
capnbill
1st Gear
I was thinking about the Forge BOV for my R56, but decided against it. The main reason was the conflicting info about what it really does. There are a couple of YouTube videos around that give you the impression that all they do is make noise. I talked to someone at Forge who said it was indeed mostly a noisemaker.

Got the Forge CAI and am very satisfied with it.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:28 PM
krim
5th Gear
an open element air filter setup should be more than enough for the "psssh"

Old 09-11-2008, 12:56 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same Questions as the OP. In theory as explained on the website,http://defendersofspeed.com/store/ca...?id_category=2 it releases the air keeping cool air in the turbo. I dont car about HP, and dont want to put extra pipes and a 200 dollar BOV on the car.
My goal is to get a PSSSSHHHHH, and get ride of the CAI HISSSSSSSSS will this work?

Old 09-11-2008, 06:41 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
if anyone wants that forge thing, i have one laying around

Old 09-11-2008, 06:46 PM
fdavid
4th Gear
I smell something fishy on these comments. Don't get me wrong guys but the first two are a neutral and a first gear guys. I believe this is a product placement thread. If its not, I apologize. Anyways, "psssh" noise is so '90s. If you want that, just switch to a Subaru.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:12 PM
toony15333
Neutral
im just asking opinion around before purchasing a product.. i dont feel like wasting $100 and not getting exactly what i am looking for..

Old 09-12-2008, 05:03 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by matty125
I have the same Questions as the OP. In theory as explained on the website,http://defendersofspeed.com/store/ca...?id_category=2 it releases the air keeping cool air in the turbo. I dont car about HP, and dont want to put extra pipes and a 200 dollar BOV on the car.
My goal is to get a PSSSSHHHHH, and get ride of the CAI HISSSSSSSSS will this work?
It will not add HP. All adding the BOV will do it give you the PsssssT your looking for..its a cool sound and I love it. I have two of them on my Twin Turbo Vette. Currently the system on most Turbo cars without a BOV has a tube that goes into the intake side and releases the pressure when your under boost and let off the gas. All the BOV does is exhaust the air outside instead. There are diffrent size BOV's and usually go in milimeters. I am new to the Mini and going to order a JCW so I am searching around for what ones makes the best PsssT. If I find anything worth sharing I will post it.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:05 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fdavid
I smell something fishy on these comments. Don't get me wrong guys but the first two are a neutral and a first gear guys. I believe this is a product placement thread. If its not, I apologize. Anyways, "psssh" noise is so '90s. If you want that, just switch to a Subaru.
Dont we all have to start in first gear??????Or can you buy a higher gear when you stat on this great forum???

Old 09-12-2008, 06:20 AM
fdavid
4th Gear
Haha! good one Red Bull, you are right. Like I said, if I was wrong I apologize in advance but its just than this thread came out right after I started noticing NAM banners for D O S. Anyways, waste of money in the sense that you won't get any more real HP but psychologically, you will most def feel closer the to fast and furious crowd. For me, the burble is about enough but for that you either have to own an R53 or the new JCW09. (those really sound nice like the WRC cars on TV!!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fdavid
Haha! good one Red Bull, you are right. Like I said, if I was wrong I apologize in advance but its just than this thread came out right after I started noticing NAM banners for D O S. Anyways, waste of money in the sense that you won't get any more real HP but psychologically, you will most def feel closer the to fast and furious crowd. For me, the burble is about enough but for that you either have to own an R53 or the new JCW09. (those really sound nice like the WRC cars on TV!!
Its all good

Old 09-12-2008, 08:23 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
psh, saying things are "so 90's" is so august.

exhaust depot has what looks like a real working , performance helping ,and cool sounding BOV on there metal intercooler piping.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:35 AM
matty125
5th Gear
I dont advertise for anyone....except the JSCSPEED sticker on my car and the ALTA exhaust tips in the rear of my car.
As I stated I want to modify the stock sound. I have the ALTA CAI and of course it makes a hissss sounds when you let off the gas, I want a more pronounced BOV sound but as I stated dont want to buy a 200 dollar BOV and all these pipes to go with it. Im still wanting an answer if anyone has an honest idea.
FDAVID...........ya interesting name, I smell something fishy too, but its not this post.
Too everyone else in 1st gear welcome to NAM....most of the time this is a good place to find knowledgable info, however there is always "those" people who create the exception.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Sorry that you guys are smelling something fishy. The fishiness comes not from DoS. (Play nice with the first gear & neutral guys, Boys - remember when you were new to NAM?.

I concur with some of the thoughts expressed here. Spend your money on, driving lessons, track days, a CAI, and Turbo-back exhaust before you start concerning yourself with stuff like BOV's. An BOV does very little until your turbo starts getting hot enough make any benefit of it.

Anyhow, the Forge BOV product is a good one because it vents before the intercooler. It's not a huge HP gainer. It's an HP sustaining product.

If anyone has any questions about BOV's or ANY other stuff drop me a PM or e-mail me. I'll be happy to help you with any questions and offer opinions - whether we sell it or not.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:28 PM
matty125
5th Gear
AAARRRRRRRR....Ja my post was to back myself and the newbies up. I will pm you as my question still stands long after my professional drivers training, long after the frequent trips around the RING (HINT, the famous one here in GERMANY), Hockenheim, and regular daily speeds in excess of 150mph down the German Autobhan...legally, and hittin twisties in the Alps All across Europe. Oh and then theres the turbo back 3in stainless and CAI and parts from Texas Speed WERKS, super sticky BF Goodrichs and 16 lbs wheels.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
AAARRRRRRRR....Ja my post was to back myself and the newbies up. I will pm you as my question still stands long after my professional drivers training, long after the frequent trips around the RING (HINT, the famous one here in GERMANY), Hockenheim, and regular daily speeds in excess of 150mph down the German Autobhan...legally, and hittin twisties in the Alps All across Europe. Oh and then theres the turbo back 3in stainless and CAI and parts from Texas Speed WERKS, super sticky BF Goodrichs and 16 lbs wheels.
Sweet!

Old 09-13-2008, 04:47 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
rip out the old air box and throw a k&n air filter on it thats wat i did and am more than satisfied with power and noise and for only 60 bucks and no check engine light!

Old 09-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Are Nurburing and Hockenheim the same track????????