Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Observations, reflections, & commentary on mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 05:21 PM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JAceMin
Thanks! nice to have you back...

On MAP 1 she throws a CEL ( 1/2 power ) right after running it above 5K, when I get better than 18psi of boost. This will happen everytime with the foam filter, sport button on, at traction control disengaged. It does not occur as often when the traction control isn't engaged. The paper element as I said earlier seems to have stopped it as well.

The annoying thing is the CEL occurs as soon as I slow down and start idling. This is where it confuses the heck out of me. If I do not idle, meaning I romp around for 10 to 15 mins in the high rpm's and high boost she is happy... until I idle. So a second question is what in God's name does the ECU do different while idling versus hammering around town?

Does this program and cable enable me to log piggyback and DME data concurrently? Because I would love to see what is going on in this little things head.

MAP 0 I can try this friday. It has been raining for the last week, and Friday is the first clear day. JAce doesn't go out the rain, I have a beater for that. So I will update with feed back when I get her out again.

Same happened to me without having the Unichip, but only with my CAI with Pipercross foam filter.
It was a recirculation valve that does not like the extremely high airflow and then the lowering of that...
It is a suggestion but you can at least try to see if it is that...
I know that is is probably off the discussion, but can you tell me if you were happy from the Forge IC?

Old 08-20-2008, 06:33 PM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by papadimitriou
Same happened to me without having the Unichip, but only with my CAI with Pipercross foam filter.
It was a recirculation valve that does not like the extremely high airflow and then the lowering of that...
It is a suggestion but you can at least try to see if it is that...
I know that is is probably off the discussion, but can you tell me if you were happy from the Forge IC?
Hey! where have you been, or better yet, tell me more about this recirc valve. You say was, is it a defective part? How did you fix it?

Forge I am giddy as a school girl with. Nice unit, love the hard mount points, very well made. fit perfect. Seems to be doing a good job.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Motodude
1st Gear
Recirculation valve? Are you talking about the waste gate from the turbo which recirculates excess boost back to the intake? What were your experiences and cure?

I have a very high flow homemade CAI which does the same thing (no other mods.). The intake works very good at low boost, but above about 3 psig the turbo simply stops boosting. It acts like the waste gate suddenly goes full open and stays there for a while. It resets later on it's own and also when I restart the engine. Sometimes it throws a CEL (picture of an engine) which the manual says is a problem with emissions. It resets after a few days and the alarm was probably initially tripped as a result of the waste gate dump which would cause the engine to run rich.

If this is the problem, it has big implications on how efficient your can make a homemade CAI.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:12 PM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear
Hey! where have you been, or better yet, tell me more about this recirc valve. You say was, is it a defective part? How did you fix it?

Forge I am giddy as a school girl with. Nice unit, love the hard mount points, very well made. fit perfect. Seems to be doing a good job.
The problem showed up in two case and I can now clearly simulate it now every time I want.
One day I was driving, and as I was really heavily accelerating, my foot slipped the gas, the boost fell, and by instict I pressed the gas again heavily.
Within 1/2 second, CEL, the sign with the half sign.
I stopped, turned of the engine, and restarted after 30 seconds.
CEL away.
Next day I went to the dealer just to find out what happened.
They told me that it was a random (hate that word) error, that appeared from a recirculation valve because of the boost fell.
I really don't thing that it was the wastegate...

Cure? Nothing, because it is a random error.

The next time, I was turning heavily again, the ESP cut the boost and I pressed heavily the gas in order to regain....
CEL again, same issue, same valve....

I have to tell that with the DDMworks Intake system that I have, there is no such error for 1500 miles until now....

Old 08-21-2008, 01:13 PM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear
Performance wise??

Old 08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by papadimitriou
Performance wise??

Smoothed out the top end a little, but I would expect the biggest difference o be when running higher boost, this is where cooling down the charge matters the most. Unfortunately I already had the FMIC before I chipped it, so while I couldn't imagine it not making a difference I really do not want to switch back to see.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:01 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
I think I'm ok with the remap idea... I still want to play with her a while longer, fetch some codes and get a better idea of what is going on. I will be pulling her off the road in a couple months to store her. I had planned on doing more work, so maybe then would be a better time, depending on what I end up doing to her the chip may need to be re-tuned any way.

Either way when I get home again, I am going to play with her for a bit, see what happens.

I tell you this crap with the wait till I idle, then muff up is realing eating at me. I know I am missing something...
Just let us know when you are ready! Also Unichip is starting to ship the user flash cable which allows us to email you a file to flash the chip. So if you are interested i think it was $40 for cable and program??

Old 08-24-2008, 03:43 PM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Just let us know when you are ready! Also Unichip is starting to ship the user flash cable which allows us to email you a file to flash the chip. So if you are interested i think it was $40 for cable and program??
Ok,

it has been an interesting couple of days....

Took JAce out to play in the mountains Saturday & this morning. She did quite well, till it got hot out. Although not that hot, like 90 to 93 F, and humid. Still hotter than she has seen in a while. Guess what I saw twice? The engine 1/2 power light. Once while screaming around the road, mid pass, was not very happy. Then again, in bumper to bumper traffic, mid day. all of sudden, engine temp was up around 220F both times. reset instantly by shutting down and restarting. ( Did anyone know you can get Mini's to shutdown at speed by holding the start button for like 10 foul words )

Sooo, heat is the issue.

Now I am starting to wonder if the issue with doing an intake isn't so much the MAF, but the hot air.

Perhaps the fix is to duct the CAI to the outside world, feed her real cold air.

That be my next step.

Then we see about remap.

cable & software... if it is MS windos based, then we need to see if I can talk to a RS232 thru USB on my MAC.

No windows in my world.

Can probably port it.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:40 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
The cable is a serial cable. There are USB to serial adapters if you don't have an old laptop with a serial port.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:22 AM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
The cable is a serial cable. There are USB to serial adapters if you don't have an old laptop with a serial port.
Yea, that is what RS232 is... more curious if it will communicate, figure I can run it thru an emulator, but not sure how well it will work, sometimes yes sometimes no.

Definitely no old laptop, several usb to serial.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:35 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
We too have seen this issue with coolant temps. They get to a point and no boost. But the question is why are you seeing such high temps driving around normally?? We have a few track guys with coolant temp sensors, and they don't even see 220F. That is very strange. If you all remember, Mini added holes to the scoop to help with cooling of the engine.

Does your car have the scoop in or out, or does it have holes in it? I have seen this occur on the dyno when we were really really pushing the car (glowing turbo shots we have) Also i am 99% sure its not a intake temp issue as we have also seen this get pretty hot on the dyno and nothing happened.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:56 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
completely off topic but the above got me wondering...

i have holes in mine. Should I drill them all out and make it a huge hole? Any advantage over the holes they already did? Will this give me lift on the hood at very high speeds?

Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 PM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
We too have seen this issue with coolant temps. They get to a point and no boost. But the question is why are you seeing such high temps driving around normally?? We have a few track guys with coolant temp sensors, and they don't even see 220F. That is very strange. If you all remember, Mini added holes to the scoop to help with cooling of the engine.

Does your car have the scoop in or out, or does it have holes in it? I have seen this occur on the dyno when we were really really pushing the car (glowing turbo shots we have) Also i am 99% sure its not a intake temp issue as we have also seen this get pretty hot on the dyno and nothing happened.
Yep, 75% of the holes in the scoop carefully dremelled out one boring Sunday afternoon, long time ago. I even have my hot side of the turbo wrapped, and the dp wrapped. Very rare but in bumper to bumper traffic I see her climb to 215 to 220.

I have to find a code reader, or I'll just buy a scan gauge if I can't find one by this weekend. I need to see more data. No question about it, need data to make any solid conclusions.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:04 PM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by phantasms
completely off topic but the above got me wondering...

i have holes in mine. Should I drill them all out and make it a huge hole? Any advantage over the holes they already did? Will this give me lift on the hood at very high speeds?
A grill is going to stop big thigs from flying in, then again the approach angle is going to do that as well.

I would say yes you are getting some aerodynamic lift, but I wouldn't think it is much at all.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:41 PM
jproz
3rd Gear
JAce .. please keep us in the loops on all your continued testing, etc.
Some of us engineers out there relish the technical approach and perspective to much of your trials and tribulations (however, painful ).

Old 09-06-2008, 04:10 PM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jproz
JAce .. please keep us in the loops on all your continued testing, etc.
Some of us engineers out there relish the technical approach and perspective to much of your trials and tribulations (however, painful ).

Aaah, sorry haven't technically gone away. I am away working, damn job keeps getting in the way of life. I now have this: BlueTooth ELM327 CAN Computer Based OBDII Tool talking to my MAC Book as a drive around, I am logging data to find out what is going on. I also found the pinout for the RS232 on the UniChip, but I haven't had the time to try to write code to talk with it yet. When I get home again next week I will do that, then hopefully I can log data from the DME & UniChip. Once I get enough episodes recorded I can figure out what is going on. then maybe fix this little issue so I can move on in life. WHen I have enough information to make an intelligent conclusion then I will post up my data and share my thoughts again. In the mean time, I am still open to suggestions, thoughts, WASQ or whatever.

Thanks

Actually this isn't that painful, ---> painful is modeling thermodynamic states of material in reactors, from half witted executed experimental data.

This is easy.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Straius
2nd Gear
When will you install a flux capacitor?

I hear they make mad torque gains.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:09 AM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Straius
When will you install a flux capacitor?

I hear they make mad torque gains.

Odd you mention that, when I was just trying to figure out how to wire in this bad boy....

Old 09-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Straius
2nd Gear
hahaha, excellent.

Looking forward to hearing about your results!