Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Seattle RMW Tune Results!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:18 PM
ED955S
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes it is in the mid-pipe. Jan already replied that the difference is not much. I will see if the punch will still improve after it is fixed. I'll probably just get IE exhaust that should add more HP & TQ. I thought my modding is done but I guess I'll buy that cat-back soon.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:07 PM
ClintTheMiniOwner
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learned something this weekend. Don't mod if you can't adjust or tune for it or it may have adverse affects. Everything should be a part of a package and work together.
How true
I let some people drive my car this afternoon. My neighbor is still shaking, my Audi friend is frantically searching the internet for some sort of similar ECU mod and the other is still online searching for a miniAfter seeing what cars do on the dyno and on the street yesterday, lets just say Im saving up for a header and different cam!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:47 AM
OSUBeaver
3rd Gear
Here are my results! The numbers alone don't do the tune justice, the car seems to pull so much smoother all the way to redline. I went on a drive to the coast with some buddies today and was really able to push the car. We took Hwy 53 off of 26 towards Nehalem... WOW!! don't know how I ever missed this road before, very twisty and a lot of fun.

It was great meeting some other MINI owners. A big thanks to Clint for organizing this thing, and a really big thanks to Jan for coming out and working hard for three days. You can really tell how much he enjoys working with cars after being around him. The guys at Speed Factory were cool too!

On to the numbers... Jan mentioned my car had good baseline torque for an '03... also thought my belt might be slipping in the higher rpm. I just put on a fresh 535 the night before, and had a tad under a full hole showing on the tensioner. Should I try a smaller belt? Or does maybe the tensioner need to be replaced?

2003 MCS, 46k miles
15% Cravenspeeed pulley
Cravenspeed CAI
Milltek header
Magnaflow exhaust
JCW 380s
NGK BKR7EQUP plugs

Initial Pull
170.3 ft/lb at 4005 rpm
182.8 hp at 6177 rpm

Final Pull
178 ft/lb at 3979 rpm
197.6 hp at 7349

I'll try to post the charts later. We did a couple pulls trying to hit 200, but my car kept teasing me...I had one pull at 199

Last edited by OSUBeaver; 06-23-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:18 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the belt was new it can take a bit to "age" and it will get grippier. But I would also check the tensioner and make sure the damper on it is still good. Easiest way to see if it has failed it see if the shaft of the damper is covered in oily dirt. This is a sure sign that the damper has blown its seals and leaked out oil. I just replaced my tensioner a couple of months ago for the very same reason.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:44 AM
OSUBeaver
3rd Gear
Old 06-23-2008, 11:54 AM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Ok,

First let me say that I wish I could've brought both my cars to this, but both were having issues that prevented it. (Good news is that I didn't need a new S/C like I thought, bad news it that another friend does). Anyway... bugger. I'm sure Jan could've made my cars stronger.

Anyway.... Jan asked me what I thought after driving shooler's car after it was tuned and I commented that I thought it was fuller and stronger response throughout the range. It felt very driveable, and less peaky than before. I coupared his car to my JCW cars and thought it was similar if a touch better........Until I got home, and actually drove my 06 JCW.

Let's just say that I overestimated MY car's strength by a significant margin. It was not nearly as strong as shooler's modded S with a Jan/RMW Tune. The difference was stark. It really was.

I am really impressed. Not surprised, mind you, as I have seen no reason to doubt Jan's tuning work, but I'm impressed at how good it is. The part that impresses me the most is not the peak horsepower, but rather the driveable horsepower. It's really, really cool as it makes the car such a joy to drive all across the engine's range of RPM.

Now I just have to figure out how to get him back up here.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:56 AM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Oh, and thanks Clint for putting it together. It was fun even though I didn't have my cars there. I wish we could've stayed to watch your dyno session. Looks like you have got a hammer there. I really dug your car even though you say it's "old" The stereo even sounded great.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:34 PM
johnf36
4th Gear
Question ? Why can't we access the first page of this thread?

John

Old 06-23-2008, 12:46 PM
ClintTheMiniOwner
4th Gear
Here is a video of my last dyno run with Jan closely watching the dynapak screen, smiling and nodding, pleased with what he was seeing. Sorry about the clarity-

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...78696220&hl=en

What a fun day! Jan is a very pleasant guy, very calm and personable. He takes time to show you what is your engine is doing on the computer, and shows you how he adjusts the fuel/timing/throttle so you can get a real world answer to what is going on in that engine bay. He had nothing bad to say and everyone left a happy customer. A++

Last edited by ClintTheMiniOwner; 06-23-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:10 PM
pure13
2nd Gear
Pure13 dyno result

I think you could understand the delay post on my dyno sheets... I was slammed the past couple days...

Baseline:
MM 15%
M7 CAI
Schrick CAM
M7 400cc injector
MM Header
Eastern 2.5/3" Metallic Cat
Alta 2.5" exhaust
EvoTech "Tune"

The biggest difference I felt so far is driveablity. The hesitation I experience from dead stop until 3k is gone. Will have better feel for mid to high performance gain, after tomorrow's lapping session.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pure13_Dyno002.pdf (121.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: pdf
Pure13_Dyno001.pdf (129.1 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by pure13; 06-23-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:15 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pure13
I think you could understand the delay post on my dyno sheets... I was slammed the past couple days...

Baseline:
M7 CAI
Schrick CAM
M7 400cc injector
MM Header
Eastern 2.5/3" Metallic Cat
Alta 2.5" exhaust
EvoTech "Tune"
Oww you hurt my neck

Old 06-23-2008, 02:33 PM
pure13
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ED955S
Exhaust Leak

I checked the connector pipe to my one-ball this morning and it was leaking. The clamps came loose.
No wonder my torque was low and could have slightly more HP. I have reported this in my previous threads that it is out of alignment but never thought that it is leaking
Similar case. My "Service Engine Soon" light came on on Saturday. When I finally got around to examine the car this morning as all the sudden the car got really loud, like running w/o muffler. It turn out my connection between Cat/muffler had total came undone. For me the tune by Jan is still good as my a/f was sampled from the extra bun I had welded in before the Cat.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
this is a question for clint and pure. How did your injectors stack up against the stock jcw's? did jan have any problems adding fuel with them, or flow issues? I have heard a few people have had problems with them........I got um and will be getting a tune coming up.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:20 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Do you have the 400's or the JCW's?

My 380 JCW were good to 205hp.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:21 PM
safetysean
1st Gear
This is a question for clint and is also pure-Did anyone get a a/f record for the weekend, I love the other charts, and the # look great! I was there heard, and saw, but did anyone have one so I can see and were they are posted , I can't seem to find any of them- Great meeting you guys, and nice car clint , talking to the BOSS(wife) about that paint work-up-Thanks
Sean

Old 06-23-2008, 05:42 PM
CosmicTraveler
Neutral
The A/F graph was not printed for me and I did not see it for the few other people that had charts in their hands on Saturday.

Forgot to scan mine today, but I will and then post them.

Thank you Clint, Jan and all the guys at Speedfactory. It was a fun and educational adventure, but maybe not the end of the road for me either. Must check funding for future mods. Until then, I'll be happily motoring with what I believe to be the best tune money can buy!

Old 06-23-2008, 05:59 PM
ClintTheMiniOwner
4th Gear
Originally Posted by El_Griton
this is a question for clint and pure. How did your injectors stack up against the stock jcw's? did jan have any problems adding fuel with them, or flow issues? I have heard a few people have had problems with them........I got um and will be getting a tune coming up.
I had no issues with them, and I had one of the more ideal power curves that Jan had seen out of the group. My car has way more potential since I have bigger valves and porting with a stock header! My schrick cam is also killing some torque but adding mid and high power so I am saving for the lethal RMW header/cam combo!
The injectors will be fine for that upgrade as well.

Originally Posted by safetysean
This is a question for clint and is also pure-Did anyone get a a/f record for the weekend, I love the other charts, and the # look great! I was there heard, and saw, but did anyone have one so I can see and were they are posted , I can't seem to find any of them- Great meeting you guys, and nice car clint , talking to the BOSS(wife) about that paint work-up-Thanks
Sean
I didn't get an air to fuel sheet but I will call James at Speedfactory and see if I can get one. Let me know what you come up with for paint ideas. That would be cool to paint match your roof, ground skirts and mirrors. That is a rare combo. I would love to see that!

Last edited by ClintTheMiniOwner; 06-23-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:08 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
Do you have the 400's or the JCW's?

My 380 JCW were good to 205hp.
I have some 400's. well I have almost the same set up as clint, with a few minor differences. ie: he has big valves, I have stock size, I will have polished and ported head, with rmw cam. it will also be port matched to an obx header. once it gets finished.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:27 PM
craigsmiller
1st Gear
Frame Brace from Texas Speed Works

While at the RMW tune last weekend, at least two owners had installed the TSW frame brace, and they both spoke very highly of the handling benefits. I went to the TSW site and couldn't find the brace Does anyone know if it has been discontinued?

Old 06-23-2008, 08:32 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by craigsmiller
While at the RMW tune last weekend, at least two owners had installed the TSW frame brace, and they both spoke very highly of the handling benefits. I went to the TSW site and couldn't find the brace Does anyone know if it has been discontinued?
Try this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=142987

Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
TSW will take products off of the website when they have sold out of them. Just email or give them a call and see when they will be back in stock.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:00 PM
custard
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ED955S
Custard: Did you change the plugs, belt, and check for boost leak? Check your compression too.
well, starting to get an inkling of why my numbers were so depressing. Bought a compression tester and did a compression test today. Not pleasant

#1 - 150psi (180 wet)
#2 - 132psi (150 wet)
#3 - 135psi (190 wet)
#4 - 150psi (didn't bother...)

So, where to go from here? Is it worth getting a leakdown test done? Wet #'s seem to suggest that it's a piston/rings problem.

Anyone know of a good engine builder in the Seattle area?

Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 PM
ED955S
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talk to James of Speed Factory. He knows his stuff. When I had a loose spark plug, he pulled 2 of them and visually analyzed for signs of detonation. Him & Jan were talking the same language when they were tuning my car per data of the computer. If he can build Vtec Hondas, I am sure he can do the Tritec as well but shop around including Minimadness & Alta in Oregon.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:24 AM
billzcat1
3rd Gear
While I'm not sure if they have any Mini-specific experience, I've had excellent VW/Audi work done at Northwest Connecting Rod in Seattle (South Park). They are a true automotive machine shop offering a myriad of services - this is where TONS of local businesses send their work and then mark it up a bit.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by custard
well, starting to get an inkling of why my numbers were so depressing. Bought a compression tester and did a compression test today. Not pleasant

#1 - 150psi (180 wet)
#2 - 132psi (150 wet)
#3 - 135psi (190 wet)
#4 - 150psi (didn't bother...)

So, where to go from here? Is it worth getting a leakdown test done? Wet #'s seem to suggest that it's a piston/rings problem.

Anyone know of a good engine builder in the Seattle area?
We rebuild engines here. It's probably about $200 or so for you to ship it to us. We use CP pistons etc when rebuilding them. Call me when you get a chance

949-456-9590

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Seattle RMW Tune Results!