Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Alta vs. DDMWorks CAI

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:51 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
oh i understand completely :P i was just simply commenting on if you want to get a good intake it's more worth while to pay for the one that you'll find the most with. in my, and friend's experiences with open filters, i've heard that Alta is basically the way to go. bling, nice looking, and functional.

as for the CELs, i'm pretty sure that MOST cars will get them at some point once you start going to aftermarket and trying to make the stock untuned ECU figure out why suddenly an exhaust that's 2.25inches is suddenly flowing 4 times the air and your car sucks better than an a proverbial hover vac :P

Bolt on's themselves will only go so far, they will help each other in 90% of the situations their put in, and you will have some downsides guaranteed, it all depends on how you want to modify your car, if you don't want to deal with the joys and sometimes pains of modding stay stock or go for in-house tuners like JCW can bet a dinner that JCW suspension will have a nicely balanced but far sportier than stock setup that will be more than efficient for average drivers and occasional autox guys. obviously, once again, i don't want to instill my personal tuning believes on anybody. but assuming you are indeed going for a semi cheap intake that gives power increases and at the same time helps give the BOV sound go for Alta (personal opinion) or, if you don't want to risk possible heat problems for the intake temperatures go replace the Alta panel filter in your intake with a K&N panel filter... they're big for a reason my friend they know what they're doing.

hope all my rambling helped in some way :/

Old 11-20-2008, 05:02 PM
fronjoni
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dunphyj
oh i understand completely :P i was just simply commenting on if you want to get a good intake it's more worth while to pay for the one that you'll find the most with. in my, and friend's experiences with open filters, i've heard that Alta is basically the way to go. bling, nice looking, and functional.

as for the CELs, i'm pretty sure that MOST cars will get them at some point once you start going to aftermarket and trying to make the stock untuned ECU figure out why suddenly an exhaust that's 2.25inches is suddenly flowing 4 times the air and your car sucks better than an a proverbial hover vac :P

Bolt on's themselves will only go so far, they will help each other in 90% of the situations their put in, and you will have some downsides guaranteed, it all depends on how you want to modify your car, if you don't want to deal with the joys and sometimes pains of modding stay stock or go for in-house tuners like JCW can bet a dinner that JCW suspension will have a nicely balanced but far sportier than stock setup that will be more than efficient for average drivers and occasional autox guys. obviously, once again, i don't want to instill my personal tuning believes on anybody. but assuming you are indeed going for a semi cheap intake that gives power increases and at the same time helps give the BOV sound go for Alta (personal opinion) or, if you don't want to risk possible heat problems for the intake temperatures go replace the Alta panel filter in your intake with a K&N panel filter... they're big for a reason my friend they know what they're doing.

hope all my rambling helped in some way :/
lol thnx for the advice...no i am not trying to go a cheap anything on my car i havent and i wont...i just know what an intake is and if i can find a used one i know its as good as a new one and everyones intake is friggin overpriced, including alta k&n ddm m7 whatever...im also not a bolt on freak, i wont spend any real money on them...like the ic for example, theres nothing wrong with the one you have and i mean unless youre tracking it frequently its perfectly fine for street use, even with a tune....same for those tubes and wahtever....i dont mind spending money on parts, i just dont like wasting money on parts..........
im not expecting any power from my intake at all....my complaint is not for lack of power gain, it is for loss of power....

Old 11-20-2008, 05:24 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
well if you're losing power that's a HUGE downside (unless it's a bigger turbo... then power loss down low is not power loss at all... it's foreplay :P )

Old 11-20-2008, 06:47 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fronjoni
lol thnx for the advice...no i am not trying to go a cheap anything on my car i havent and i wont...i just know what an intake is and if i can find a used one i know its as good as a new one and everyones intake is friggin overpriced, including alta k&n ddm m7 whatever...im also not a bolt on freak, i wont spend any real money on them...like the ic for example, theres nothing wrong with the one you have and i mean unless youre tracking it frequently its perfectly fine for street use, even with a tune....same for those tubes and wahtever....i dont mind spending money on parts, i just dont like wasting money on parts..........
im not expecting any power from my intake at all....my complaint is not for lack of power gain, it is for loss of power....
well said there!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:59 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
*nod nod*

Old 11-20-2008, 11:14 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
does it make sense that tons of people on this forum have open air intakes, espeically alta's, and you would think an issue of losing power would come up more?? Is there something put together wrong with your mod's? It doesn't add up to me, but I am a newbie in the mod department. Just an outsider observation.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:44 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ortholance
does it make sense that tons of people on this forum have open air intakes, espeically alta's, and you would think an issue of losing power would come up more?? Is there something put together wrong with your mod's? It doesn't add up to me, but I am a newbie in the mod department. Just an outsider observation.
good question.....well one im not addressing alta's intake right now...also, i dont have many..mods, ive got a free flowing exhaust and a bov as far as drivetrain mods go, and yes all are put together properly.....
another note is...yeah people might have open air intakes and some might say they make power, stay the same, or in my case might lose power, and yes without a dyno its all percieved power which after spending some time on this forum i see is easiliy influenced....but if they dont have anything to compare it to, any way to monitor it for ex. their gauges (boost in my case) then they'll assume theyre making more power based on A. i spent $300 on an intake and B. the company says it makes 10whp so, i guess this is what +10whp feels like!!!......

back to the scoop/intake...i opened it up this morning and cant say that i felt much of a difference....i only drove it for 10 minutes to work on inside streets so didnt get it above 70....plus i still dont know if and how long it takes for ecu to adapt...although judging from teh size of the scoops hole and the design of the ddm this seems like its more of a heat venting mod but we'll see....ill give it the whole weekend to be fair....

Old 11-21-2008, 12:07 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Guys to back up what we have found on our older R56s, here is the dyno graph of the 09 JCW we just did the other day. Also right below it is the Inlet hose graph.

And the inlet hose.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:49 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Thanks Jeff! Very helpful!

Old 11-27-2008, 11:11 AM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
i was actually just at the DDM works website and i can't find anything about the front strut brace that works around the whole "RIS" intake. I really want to do the whole cold air intake that utilizes the hood scoop, but i don't know if i want to give up the front strut brace for it. my friend had the strut brace on her MINI and it changes he handling to the point where i want it. The only thing is i didn't see the front strut tower brace anywhere on there website. is it gone or are they still working on it?

Does anybody know?

Old 11-27-2008, 02:13 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
All I know is it's being worked on... I love the brace, I don't have it tho I'm sporting a gtspec prototype brace which works with my DDMWorks race intake... I'm selling that later when DDMWorks puts their brace on sale... I think it's currently still in development tho... Not too sure tho