Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Where to buy a larger fuel rail and high flow pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:31 AM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lkbindustry
Well golly.
I had my Helix 380's flow tested before Jan's tune and passed with flying colors.
Thanks anyways.

Maybe ryephile got a bad batch....how did you get them flow tested?? ? I have a set of helix 380's in the mail and dont wanna go down to florida to be running lean....

Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-13-2008, 10:38 AM
littlehandegan
17 bucks screw that....Just hope ryephile got a bad batch ...anyone else had this problem with helix 380's???
Jack

Old 02-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile

If you're running Helix's 380cc injectors, you're probably starting to run lean because they don't flow as much as they should. Get a set of JCW 380's or RMW 440's; both actually flow their rated amount.
I don't even want to know where you picked up that nonsence from, Ryan.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:18 PM
littlehandegan
Originally Posted by Helix13mini

So is this false....someone said that tuning with them is harder?

Old 02-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
The nonsense started when I installed them in my car. The long fuel trim needed very little time to adapt; a sign they do not flow much more than stock. Instead of taking many hundreds of miles to trim out it took about 30 miles.

The nonsense is also straight from my AFR charts during Jan's tuning session. He was adding fuel to the mapping and the injectors were not responding. Jan also had a tough time tuning them as they would react erratically to small changes in the mapping. Perhaps I do have a bad set, but they were a pain to tune and flow barely any more than stock. They appeared to be running static by ~190wHP, only about 5wHP more than stock injectors.

Last edited by Ryephile; 02-13-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:35 PM
littlehandegan
Well know im not sure what to do....I dont want to drive 8 hours and speend 500 bucks to get a tune and not get everything i want out of it...helix is it possible to send them back and get JCW 380's?

Jack

Old 02-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
Well know im not sure what to do....I dont want to drive 8 hours and speend 500 bucks to get a tune and not get everything i want out of it...helix is it possible to send them back and get JCW 380's?

Jack
Call Eric directly instead of asking him here.

Longboard

Old 02-13-2008, 04:13 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
Call Eric directly instead of asking him here.

Longboard

Old 02-13-2008, 06:44 PM
RatBlast
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jhiggs26
Have you made sure your belt isn't slipping? Mine was slipping 2 weeks ago above 5500 rpm with 70,000 Kms on it. With the JCW Gates belt there seems to be no slippage or stumbling now!

Jeremy
i never hear it slip , i asume it would be a noticable noise ? the belt has been on the car for less than 4000k .
i plan on doing a new belt some time this summer , i want to go for a 2% crank pully. (after fixing this problem)

Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 PM
RatBlast
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by batrugger
I had a GIAC flash and Jan did a tune for me. He was having trouble getting it to perform at first because of it. He said that the GIAC flash was set-up very aggressive so that may be the cause of you running lean.

i have 2 or 3 emails into helix asking for help , but they never got back to me. i am sure if i went back to the stock ecu setup it would be normal or close to it. the giac tune is nice and i want to keep it . i think i will go for a new fuel pump .... i think it will solve my problems. i just need to find a place to buy one.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
The MINI's fueling system is returnless. If you go aftermarket with the fuel pump, you'll have to swap over to an old-skool return-line fuel system. This means new rail or mod the stock one.

I understand your desire to keep the ECU flash, as I'm sure it gains you better drivability and more power, but at this point it's probably hurting as much as helping your butt dyno if the car is pinging off the hinges.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:06 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RatBlast
i never hear it slip , i asume it would be a noticable noise ? the belt has been on the car for less than 4000k .
i plan on doing a new belt some time this summer , i want to go for a 2% crank pully. (after fixing this problem)
Yes it's noticable. There's a stumbling sensation to acceleration(for me upwards of 5500 rpm) coupled with an interrupted sucking sound from the intake!

Jeremy

Old 02-13-2008, 10:44 PM
lkbindustry
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
Maybe ryephile got a bad batch....how did you get them flow tested?? ? I have a set of helix 380's in the mail and dont wanna go down to florida to be running lean....
A friend of mine owed me a favor and got it done at his shop for free.
And they are radical, no tuning issues with mine.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
The nonsense started when I installed them in my car. The long fuel trim needed very little time to adapt; a sign they do not flow much more than stock. Instead of taking many hundreds of miles to trim out it took about 30 miles.

The nonsense is also straight from my AFR charts during Jan's tuning session. He was adding fuel to the mapping and the injectors were not responding. Jan also had a tough time tuning them as they would react erratically to small changes in the mapping. Perhaps I do have a bad set, but they were a pain to tune and flow barely any more than stock. They appeared to be running static by ~190wHP, only about 5wHP more than stock injectors.

How were you measuring duty cycle?

When (if) you datalogged Long Term Multiplicitive Fuel Trim, where the peak mS readings?

After the thirty miles you drove, what did the Relative Long Term Additive Fuel Trim read as a percentage? 0?

If you don't have this information, you're just guessing at your fueling problem, and blaming the injectors. If you infact did do the above datalogging determined there was a problem with the injectors i.e. they're not flowing as advertised, you should have called me so that I could test your injectors, and replace them if they were faulty. We have had these injectors tested twice by two different facilities for both spray pattern, atomiziation, and flow. We wouldn't sell them if they didn't perform as we needed. Apparently, lkbindustry also tested his.

You, as one of the more respected members of this forum, must understand how a post like this impacts a product. By making a categorical statement such as the Helix 380cc injectors "don't flow as much as they should", It creates 'internet truths', and hearsay becomes NAM gospel.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
perhaps Jan can shed some light since he tuned the car

Old 02-14-2008, 09:10 AM
lkbindustry
3rd Gear
We wouldn't sell them if they didn't perform as we needed.

You, as one of the more respected members of this forum, must understand how a post like this impacts a product. By making a categorical statement such as the Helix 380cc injectors "don't flow as much as they should", It creates 'internet truths', and hearsay becomes NAM gospel.
Very true. If I had seen a statement like that from a well known member or other vendor, I would have definitely thought twice about my purchase. And if Ryan didn't do the proper tests to prove it was the injectors fault, then he shouldn't post such a claim. His comment could greatly impact ones decision on buying Helix' injectors... And possibly make those who already have them worry when they don't need to.
I'm not sure what I am trying to say.. But you get the point.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
How were you measuring duty cycle?

When (if) you datalogged Long Term Multiplicitive Fuel Trim, where the peak mS readings?

After the thirty miles you drove, what did the Relative Long Term Additive Fuel Trim read as a percentage? 0?

.....and hearsay becomes NAM gospel.
I never said I measured duty cycle, however when I'm watching Jan repeatedly add more fuel to the ECU flash and the AFR doesn't change, it is simple to deduce they are running static. I understand his position to not comment, no hard feelings. I'm not going to measure duty cycle because it's not convenient and it's clear to an experienced person that when airflow goes up, fueling needs to too; when it doesn't the AFR goes up. Plain and simple.

I did monitor my Relative Long Term fuel trim, but not immediately upon starting the car and letting it idle for 15 minutes. I didn't look because I shouldn't of needed to; bigger injectors need to trim out and that takes time. My scan-tool monitors short and long relative trims in % of course. I did look at the scan-tool every few minutes during the initial burn-in drive. It took about 30 miles of very mixed style driving for the Long Term trim to get to -1%. I consider that close enough to 0%. For reference, when I used 42lb/min injectors on my single-turbo car, it took 150 miles to trim them out to approx -1%. Clearly a major difference in adaptation times, which implies a big difference in flow rates.

Based on power output and injectors used of other MINI's during the December tune party in Michigan, the JCW 380's flowed more than the Helix 380's, which flowed more than stock 330's. Perhaps the JCW 380's are underrated and are closer to 400cc/min, I don't know.

Eric, I understand how you may have gotten irked from me posting my experience of your house brand injectors. I'm not saying your injectors are crap, they are still in my car and my car is tuned very nicely and drives great with them installed. You know first hand how I don't BS and I'm especially not going to put garbage on my own car. Your injectors have a specific niche; they flow more than stock for less price than JCW 380's. There is certainly a market for that.

Originally Posted by lkbindustry
And if Ryan didn't do the proper tests to prove it was the injectors fault, then he shouldn't post such a claim.
...and you can believe I wouldn't have said anything if I lacked the wisdom to make such a statement. I want to make a specific point about the word "fault". Keep in mind the power they went static was richer than the system needed to be, and for a very tiny RPM band. I wouldn't say it was anythings fault, just that they're close to being at the threshold of having to back off the ECU tune aggressiveness.

Peace,
Ryan

Last edited by Ryephile; 02-15-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:10 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
i know they exist , but i can not find a place to buy these parts.
my car is still running lean at high rpm and i am in need of a larger fuel rail and high flow pump for my 2004 mini cooper s .
any help would be great.

thanx
with that many miles you could try seafoam it does work!!!

Old 02-16-2008, 01:24 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well..I know that Marren setup is on THE list....

Old 02-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Eric, I understand how you may have gotten irked from me posting my experience of your house brand injectors.
Ryan,

You said: "If you're running Helix's 380cc injectors, you're probably starting to run lean because they don't flow as much as they should".

This is a false statement which is not supported by the circumstantial data that you have presented. You have not done tests that support this statement. As I said in my last post, you are creating an 'internet truth' based upon your conjecture, which is false. As I predicted, littlehandegan emailed me today, wanting to exchange the helix for the JCW injectors, which I am happy to do (we make no money on either: the margins are so small), but the expense to him is because he believed your false statement.

Herein lies the double edged sword of internet forums: speculation (from vendors as well as members) becomes truth at least for a while. Usually, the truth becomes apparent over time. I'm hoping it does in this case.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Eric, I sent you a PM. Your claim that I have not done tests to back my statements is conjecture and I won't tolerate such sloppy comments on your part just to attempt to discredit me. You have parts to sell, and this is my hobby. Since you claim you make "no money on either", then I recommend dropping the house-brand and just sell the JCW injectors. Streamline your catalog and improve customer service perception.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:59 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In either case you 2...there will be no babble in The Church Of NAM. Quit it or I will ban you to your corners..

Old 03-15-2011, 02:21 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Pinging

Hey Rat Blast, did you ever solve this pinging, stumbling, hesitation issue?
I get the pinging if I floor it aggressively, it does not occur when I press throttle progressively (kinda roll on the throttle). On Cold or wet days the pinging kinda subsides, as well. What did you do? Sorry, but did not want to revive thread, cause there was some quarreling. I am getting retuned and 440cc injectors to see if it resolves, but wanted to see what worked for you.
i know they exist , but i can not find a place to buy these parts. my car is still running lean at high rpm and i am in need of a larger fuel rail and high flow pump for my 2004 mini cooper s .
any help would be great. thanx
i know i should not need a bigger rail or the pump .... but the car is running out of fuel at high rpm and pings hard.
the only way i can think of fixing it is to increase fuel preasure. the car has a 15% pulley , cold air intake , header , tuned exhaust , 380cc injectors and a giac tune. i do plan on going for a big valve head and cam by the end of the year. so getting the pump and rail now would not hurt. can you guys send me a link to where i can get the parts from. PM me if you like.
i have not thrown any codes that i know of .... and i am running jcw 380cc injectors bought from helix. i never had the car on a dyno so i have no idea what the air/fuel ratio is at high rpms. the car did improve by doing the injectors , but it is not right yet. the shop i took it to said the knock sensor would retard the timing up to 30% untill the car fell on its face running out of fuel around 5000 rpm and up. that was before i got the injectors. now it is fine if i take off fast from a stop and run through the gears.... pings a bit than begins to stumble a bit at high rpm. it pings too much if i step on it hard when its under load.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:28 AM
Jeremiah Spinharney
Neutral
Originally Posted by batrugger
I had a GIAC flash and Jan did a tune for me. He was having trouble getting it to perform at first because of it. He said that the GIAC flash was set-up very aggressive so that may be the cause of you running lean.
i was dealing same issue. my fpr was clogged with crap put new one in and its all good