North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-16/)
-   -   Drivetrain Where to buy a larger fuel rail and high flow pump ? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/128842-where-to-buy-a-larger-fuel-rail-and-high-flow-pump.html)

RatBlast 02-12-2008 05:29 PM

Where to buy a larger fuel rail and high flow pump ?

i know they exist , but i can not find a place to buy these parts.
my car is still running lean at high rpm and i am in need of a larger fuel rail and high flow pump for my 2004 mini cooper s .
any help would be great.

thanx

Longboard Mini 02-12-2008 06:30 PM

Whats in the car that larger injectors and a good tune won't fix?

Longboard

Ryephile 02-12-2008 06:40 PM

From his previous posts it sounds like he's just running the stock M45 with a pulley. Unless he's pushing an honest 375 gross HP+, there's no reason to even think about aftermarket rail and pump!

minimarks 02-12-2008 06:46 PM

:sly:

Ryephile 02-12-2008 06:48 PM

To answer the OP's question anyway, Marren makes a return-line fuel rail that will handle more power than most of us have made.

Bahamabart 02-12-2008 07:00 PM

LDG has one as well.

RatBlast 02-12-2008 07:07 PM

i know i should not need a bigger rail or the pump .... but the car is running out of fuel at high rpm and pings hard.
the only way i can think of fixing it is to increase fuel preasure.

the car has a 15% pulley , cold air intake , header , tuned exhaust , 380cc injectors and a giac tune .

i do plan on going for a big valve head and cam by the end of the year. so getting the pump and rail now would not hurt.

can you guys send me a link to where i can get the parts from ... PM me if you like .

littlehandegan 02-12-2008 07:10 PM

Its completely un needed....im running 17% and will run 380's....alta has 540's just slap them in it....

Jack

gnatster 02-12-2008 07:13 PM

That combo should not be running out of fuel depending on RPM you are spinning it to.

How many miles on the car?

Fuel filer may be dirty or injectors need cleaning or both, thats where I'd start.

There are quite a few cars running around with the system you propose, adding 440 injectors when going with an RMW tune. None have needed to go with a bigger pump or rail.

RatBlast 02-12-2008 07:24 PM

the injectors are new , the car has 82000k on it. what do you mean by Fuel filer may be dirty ?

minimarks 02-12-2008 07:54 PM

Believe he meant Fuel Filter. Might have a failing fuel pump...

RatBlast 02-12-2008 08:03 PM

i thought he ment fuel filter ;) it crossed my mind that the fuel pump was on its way out. i see alta sells a high flow pump . will think about getting it.

Some Guy 02-12-2008 08:03 PM

Are you using good gas?

minimarks 02-12-2008 08:06 PM

Doesn't Dinan have one too?

RatBlast 02-12-2008 08:13 PM

i run chevron 94 octane gas. Dinan has a thousand dollar boost kit , its way to expensive in my eyes.

Scavenger 02-12-2008 08:27 PM

I'll give ya a hint, look through the Bosch catalog :nod:

jhiggs26 02-12-2008 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Scavenger (Post 2036068)
I'll give ya a hint, look through the Bosch catalog :nod:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing Scabenger; an ignition shake down couldn't hurt.

Ratblast are you throwing lean codes? What A/F ratio are you hitting high up?

Jeremy

Ryephile 02-12-2008 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by RatBlast (Post 2035922)
i know i should not need a bigger rail or the pump .... but the car ... pings hard.
the only way i can think of fixing it is to increase fuel preasure.

the car has a 15% pulley , cold air intake , header , tuned exhaust , 380cc injectors and a giac tune .

Hmm, I keep hearing GIAC and pinging in the same sentence with the R53's more and more.

If you're running Helix's 380cc injectors, you're probably starting to run lean because they don't flow as much as they should. Get a set of JCW 380's or RMW 440's; both actually flow their rated amount.

On my previous single-turbo R53, I ran 560cc/min injectors on the stock fuel rail and pump with upwards of 318wHP and have never had any fuel starvation or lean running. The problem you're running into, I assure you, is not the rail or pump, it's the Flash and the injectors.

AZMCS 02-12-2008 09:40 PM

This is not a fuel system issue that can be solved with a dual pump or return plumbed system as Ryephile says. I run 28psi all day long on the stock system and ran really FAT up top without tuning the 440s I have Way Way back down. I think the guys suggesting fuel filter or a pump failure are closer on. The stock MINI pump really only runs one pressure when you are on the air pedal and if it is failing you might get this problem, but going to an aftermarket system if you are putting out under 400whp is probably the supreme overkill.....FWIW.......

I don't even post anymore.......

so why should someone listen to me.........

Just saw Rye's most recent post......The spray pattern is also gonna be critical to what injectors you are using, but that tends to give you the problems I was having with an incomplete burn and FAT rather than lean.....

RatBlast 02-12-2008 09:41 PM

i have not thrown any codes that i know of .... and i am running jcw 380cc injectors bought from helix. i never had the car on a dyno so i have no idea what the air/fuel ratio is at high rpms. the car did improve by doing the injectors , but it is not right yet. the shop i took it to said the knock sensor would retard the timing up to 30% untill the car fell on its face running out of fuel around 5000 rpm and up. that was before i got the injectors. now it is fine if i take off fast from a stop and run through the gears.... pings a bit than begins to stumble a bit at high rpm. it pings too much if i step on it hard when its under load.

lkbindustry 02-12-2008 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ryephile (Post 2036145)
If you're running Helix's 380cc injectors, you're probably starting to run lean because they don't flow as much as they should. Get a set of JCW 380's or RMW 440's; both actually flow their rated amount.

Well golly.
I had my Helix 380's flow tested before Jan's tune and passed with flying colors.
Thanks anyways.

minimarks 02-13-2008 05:38 AM

If it were mine I'd put a new fuel filter in (not a bad thing anyway), if the problem still occurs, new fuel pump, if the problem still occurs, as someone said earlier, I'd be looking at the GIAC... Just my 2 cents.

gnatster 02-13-2008 05:41 AM

Sorry...typo back there..

I did mean Fuel Filter

Look at the easy inexpensive stuff first. Not that getting to the filter is that easy. but 82k miles it may be an issue. There are people here that would love to see you go out and buy the latest Fire hose sized fuel rail and 540 injectors just to see if it works. With you current setup and it's potential the 380's are not your limiting factor, I'd be looking else ware.

jhiggs26 02-13-2008 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by RatBlast (Post 2036150)
i have not thrown any codes that i know of .... and i am running jcw 380cc injectors bought from helix. i never had the car on a dyno so i have no idea what the air/fuel ratio is at high rpms. the car did improve by doing the injectors , but it is not right yet. the shop i took it to said the knock sensor would retard the timing up to 30% untill the car fell on its face running out of fuel around 5000 rpm and up. that was before i got the injectors. now it is fine if i take off fast from a stop and run through the gears.... pings a bit than begins to stumble a bit at high rpm. it pings too much if i step on it hard when its under load.

Have you made sure your belt isn't slipping? Mine was slipping 2 weeks ago above 5500 rpm with 70,000 Kms on it. With the JCW Gates belt there seems to be no slippage or stumbling now! :)

Jeremy

batrugger 02-13-2008 07:09 AM

I had a GIAC flash and Jan did a tune for me. He was having trouble getting it to perform at first because of it. He said that the GIAC flash was set-up very aggressive so that may be the cause of you running lean.