Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Pulley party report with pictures from the NorCal party! UP

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 10:46 PM
DavidR.
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well my son and I hauled our butts and our Mini up to San Ramon to meet with Randy and the boys to do some serious pulley pulling. Got there about 12 noon and the place was full of Mini's, ribs, chips, drinks and guys looking for POWER!

Ray was kind enough to lend his shop for the festivities and had a dyno to boot (but with a name like DynoLabs I guess you would kinda hafta figure he would have one.....). I signed up to get a stock dyno run and the a couple with the pulley and the ECU. Best stock run was 159.8Whp with 142.7lb/ft. The setup there is interesting. Ray has a screen set up on the wall of his office where you can watch the run. It was great to see the car revving up and then getting the readout instantly on the screen.

TonyB's mini was on the jacks when I got there and he was in the final stages of getting the pulley done. A very interesting operation done by lifting the motor on two jacks and working from the top. Once Randy gets going it does not take him long to do the install. He makes it look easy, but then he has done over 100! At the same time he was doing the pulley, he was flashing the ECU's for those that want it.

The procedure is two-fold. He reads the stock program from your car, then sends it to Germany where they do the parameter changes, email it back to Randy who then re-flashes your ECU with the new program. Since there is a big time difference between here and Germany, it takes two days unless you get there rrreeeaaall early. I am going back tommorrow am for the upload.

As for now I just have the pulley. JUST HAVE THE PULLEY! Holy you-know-what did I have fun on the way home. It was like having an extra gear. I passed a guy with terrific ease going about 80 and reached down to shift to 6th, only to discover I was already there! You have a lot more pedal and when you step on it the power band revs up much more quickly. I am very happy with this and it is well worth the money in my opinion. Now if the ECU adds a similar amount....... Oh dear.

Went for the test drive with Randy. For those that said it would be well.... interesting. They were, OH MY GOSH, right. I have never been in a car driven that fast in so short a distance. There is a long hill behind the garage that we just SPRINTED up. I could feel how hard the car was now pulling even from the passenger seat. We were going way faster than I thought we could and took that u-turn WAY faster than I thought we would, and came down tht hill WAY, WAY faster than I thought we should. Oh and by the way, there was a cop at the bottom of the hill..... by some miracle he didn't see us. I don't know how, but he didn't. Do take the drive with Randy though, it will show you just what this car will do and it is nothing short of amazing.

Well, that's all for now. I go to get the ECU tommorrow, so we'll see how it goes and if my heart can stand another ride! Here's a few pix for you....

On the Dyno, Ray from DynoLabs at the wheel

The dyno read out

The Master at work

The pulley, note the Madness intake in the background

Going back together

The Old Guy and the New Guys

Can't wait to get back there tommorrow!

We're just your typical two Mini family......null

Old 07-15-2003, 11:17 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Looking forward to the ECU report!

Cheers!
Clover

Old 07-16-2003, 06:14 AM
CooperSdriver
3rd Gear
Great pics man, enjoy your new pulley

Old 07-16-2003, 06:47 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
yeah, it's great to have someone like Randy here in Denver. He's just so technically knowledgeable, mechanically skilled, a great driver and a true professional in representing MINI enthusiasm. :smile:

Old 07-16-2003, 07:28 AM
katnkevin
2nd Gear
Hey David,

And you thought I was kidding about the helmets......Haha! Great photos and I'm real happy for all of you up there, it certainly makes the car even more of treat to drive now. Hey how about some post pulley/ecu dyno numbers for us??

Kevin

Old 07-16-2003, 08:23 AM
asaulo1
5th Gear
sweet report there.... Randy sure knows how to scare the bejesus out of his customers with his awesome test drives..... anyway, looks like he's back in his famous red shirt again.... when he was down here in SD this past weekend, he showed us some variety with his blue shirt :smile:

Old 07-16-2003, 10:15 AM
notpaddyhopkirk
2nd Gear
David,
Welcome to the club!
Thanks for your great photos and your story was spot on for my experience (other than the dyno... I wish!).
I too would love to see the figures from your dyno runs.

Cheers,
Eric

Old 07-16-2003, 11:29 AM
DavidR.
2nd Gear
UPDATE WITH DYNO NUMBERS.......................

First the stock numbers: Average of two runs on the dyno - 157.15 Whp (154.50 + 159.80) w/ 142.2 ft/lb

With the mods: Average of two runs - 180.50 Whp (179.3 + 181.7) w/ 159.1 ft/lb
That's with the ECU, intake and pulley.

If you figure an 11% drivetrain loss (the number Randy uses) that equates to 200.35 bhp ( I think, someone check the math.....)

This thing is a little beast now! It just goes from the hole and never, ever quits. I believe that I am in deep, serious trouble here.

Next stop................Exhaust!

We're just your typical two Mini family......

Old 07-16-2003, 12:07 PM
Grinder
3rd Gear
You made a very common math error. 180.5 WHP with an 11% driveline loss actually equates to 202.8 BHP

Old 07-16-2003, 12:24 PM
OpusMini
4th Gear
Is it me or does 157 hp at the wheel seem rather high for a stock MCS? I think most of the stock baselines I've seen represented on websites been in the 140s at the wheel.

>>UPDATE WITH DYNO NUMBERS.......................
>>
>>First the stock numbers: Average of two runs on the dyno - 157.15 Whp (154.50 + 159.80) w/ 142.2 ft/lb
>>
>>With the mods: Average of two runs - 180.50 Whp (179.3 + 181.7) w/ 159.1 ft/lb
>>That's with the ECU, intake and pulley.
>>
>>If you figure an 11% drivetrain loss (the number Randy uses) that equates to 200.35 bhp ( I think, someone check the math.....)
>>
>>This thing is a little beast now! It just goes from the hole and never, ever quits. I believe that I am in deep, serious trouble here.
>>
>>Next stop................Exhaust!
>>
>>_________________
>>
>>
>>We're just your typical two Mini family......

Old 07-16-2003, 12:29 PM
kahrhoff
2nd Gear

How Much horsepower does an engine take to run itself. I don't mean transmisson loss, I mean the actual engine parts.

Chris

Old 07-16-2003, 01:19 PM
DavidR.
2nd Gear
Teldon,

Yeah the stock numbers were on the top end of the stock S's according to Randy. I had the most stock Whp of the Mini's that were dynoed at Ray's shop by 5 or so hp. It's probably within the predictable range for all engines. I would imagine it has to do with how all of the parts went together, their tolerances from spec, and so on.

I also had the intake on for the first dyno runs so I am sure that it made some difference, maybe a couple of hp.

After driving the car for the afternoon I am just blown away with the sheer speed in any gear. Many people with the mods have said that this is what the car should have been out of the factory in the first place. I agree that they should have put the 15% reduced pulley on from the git-go. The ECU mod has a long history of being after market so that is probably OK being an owner thing. It would have cost them nothing to put the smaller pulley on, and it makes such a difference.

Maybe it had to do with the Works package and the profits it will generate. Whatever the case I feel that I have really gotten my money's worth here. For $1100 bucks I got about 24 Whp. Seems like a bargain compared to what you can spend on cars things that do nothing to make it perform better.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:55 PM
OpusMini
4th Gear
>>Teldon,
>>
>>Yeah the stock numbers were on the top end of the stock S's according to Randy. I had the most stock Whp of the Mini's that were dynoed at Ray's shop by 5 or so hp. It's probably within the predictable range for all engines. I would imagine it has to do with how all of the parts went together, their tolerances from spec, and so on.
>>
>>I also had the intake on for the first dyno runs so I am sure that it made some difference, maybe a couple of hp.

That could explain it. Most of the vendor sites I have seen rate them between 6-9 hp at the wheel. That or you could just have gotten a hot one. Congrats.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:56 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Randy has one open slot for July 17.

Click here for contact info on reserving it.

Old 07-16-2003, 04:59 PM
katnkevin
2nd Gear
David,

Thanks for the dyno numbers! Good to see confirmed what we already knew.

Kevin

Old 07-16-2003, 05:05 PM
red03miniS
Banned
very nice pics

love the blue mini in the background!

Old 07-16-2003, 05:16 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>UPDATE WITH DYNO NUMBERS.......................
>>
>>First the stock numbers: Average of two runs on the dyno - 157.15 Whp (154.50 + 159.80) w/ 142.2 ft/lb
>>
>>With the mods: Average of two runs - 180.50 Whp (179.3 + 181.7) w/ 159.1 ft/lb
>>That's with the ECU, intake and pulley.
>>

Hmmm...the 17 lbs of torque is quite a disappointment. The pulley and intake alone should give at least that. COuld just be a bad run...yeah most MCS dyno at 142-146 at the wheels....157 seems incredibly high. Seems like an inaccurate run somehow.

The ECU does make power though b/c we've seen dynos here where it alone gave 10-15 HP and 10 lbs of torque so I'm not worried.

Edit - I just read your updated comment about the intake being on for the first run. Thanks for the correction. Ok, that changes everything! Thanks!

Old 07-16-2003, 10:23 PM
gosharks
4th Gear
What a great time for all of us MINI maniacs the last couple of days. I wish I didn't have to go back to work. I don't have the before dyno figures, but here is what I left today with:

1st Run:
WHP: 175.9
Torque: 156.8

2nd Run:
WHP: 178.1
Torque: 151

I have the pulley, Evotech ECU, and Madness Intake (stock exhaust). Next step is the exhaust. I really liked the sound of the two Magnaflow cars that were there. UUC is a possibility as well if it ever hits the market. The test ride with Randy was a blast! A great group of people were at this event as well.
Cheers!

Old 07-16-2003, 11:43 PM
DavidR.
2nd Gear
Larry,

Nice runs on the Dyno! Isn't that test drive with Randy about more than you can stand ?!?!?!?!?!?! Not for the faint of heart, but man can he drive. I agree it was a great time hanging with everyone and seeing the work being done.

Greatgro,

Damn! If the thing had any more torque I couldn't keep the wheels on the road. It's now pretty hard to keep the wheels from spinning in first gear with anything but light throttle and gentle clutch. Maybe the dyno didn't get the numbers right, but this thing pulls like a mother now.

P.S. to all about the ECU mod - Randy was right, I have about 80 miles on the car since the mod this morning and it has gotten stronger over that time. I would be curious to see what the dyno would read now, but I am very sure that it would be more than the 180+ I got this morning.

Old 07-17-2003, 01:50 AM
minihuni
2nd Gear
Ray, Randybmc, Tonyb,

If you are reading this alone pass it on
the other two. THANKS for pulling this
install "party" together.

Davidr,
Nice report and nice pics. Your report sums it nicely.

My delta (8-10hp) is smaller compared to the others, but I am REALLY pleased with
the results. It's so MUCH peppier, is that a word?.

I went from 158hp box stock base line
to 168hp with a pulley ONLY.

Randy = The Wrench Wizard

Hope to do business with these folks again. Aren't they great?

Old 07-17-2003, 07:54 PM
gosharks
4th Gear
>>Larry,
>>
>>Nice runs on the Dyno! Isn't that test drive with Randy about more than you can stand ?!?!?!?!?!?! Not for the faint of heart, but man can he drive. I agree it was a great time hanging with everyone and seeing the work being done.
>>
>>Greatgro,
>>
>>Damn! If the thing had any more torque I couldn't keep the wheels on the road. It's now pretty hard to keep the wheels from spinning in first gear with anything but light throttle and gentle clutch. Maybe the dyno didn't get the numbers right, but this thing pulls like a mother now.
>>
>>P.S. to all about the ECU mod - Randy was right, I have about 80 miles on the car since the mod this morning and it has gotten stronger over that time. I would be curious to see what the dyno would read now, but I am very sure that it would be more than the 180+ I got this morning.

DavidR,
The test drive by Randy is an incredible experience in itself! Hard to believe our little car is capable of such speed! Randy told me he basically always drives his MINI this way! I sure had a great time with the entire experience! I hope to see small improvements in HP as well, I wasn't aware of the ECU "learning". Take care!

Old 07-18-2003, 05:36 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Greatgro,
>>
>>Damn! If the thing had any more torque I couldn't keep the wheels on the road. It's now pretty hard to keep the wheels from spinning in first gear with anything but light throttle and gentle clutch. Maybe the dyno didn't get the numbers right, but this thing pulls like a mother now.
>>

Now THAT'S what I wanted to hear!!! Thanks, David.

Old 07-18-2003, 06:10 AM
Grinder
3rd Gear
>>DavidR,
>>The test drive by Randy is an incredible experience in itself! Hard to believe our little car is capable of such speed! Randy told me he basically always drives his MINI this way! I sure had a great time with the entire experience! I hope to see small improvements in HP as well, I wasn't aware of the ECU "learning". Take care!
>>

I wish Randy would come out here so I could get a test drive But would the test-drive with Randy be equivalent to riding shotgun with Brian Garfield on an AutoX course? Now *that* is an eye-opening experience.

Old 07-18-2003, 06:16 AM
e-mini-Austin
2nd Gear
Guys,
Before the mods did any of you guys have ths "stumble"?
And, what about after the mods?
Thanks
Jan
PS: where do I find Randy's schedule---need him in Texas

Old 07-18-2003, 06:25 AM
Grinder
3rd Gear
>>Guys,
>>Before the mods did any of you guys have ths "stumble"?
>>And, what about after the mods?
>>Thanks
>>Jan
>>PS: where do I find Randy's schedule---need him in Texas

There was just a Dalls pulley install: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...amp;topic=8963

Also, BMP isn't too far out of Houston...I'm sure they could hook you up with whatever it is you need. Al and Casey seem like really nice guys :smile: (I suck at my Texas geography, and I know Texas is a big state...so i dunno if that's at all near you)

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Pulley party report with pictures from the NorCal party! UP