Driver's School Discuss tips, techniques, and schools for enhancing the driver portion of the performance driving equation.

SCDA HPDE Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 03:29 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Old 09-18-2013, 05:15 AM
gkp
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by veggivet
I'll be there along with Cheryl. This will be her first time on track, so she will be in novice, and I will be in advanced. The car will get a double workout. Weather forecast looks perfect. Hope to see some more MINIs there! Look for the only Electric Blue MINI there, and you'll find us, or we'll find you...
I'll be there, too.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:39 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Excellent, GKP. Looking forward to seeing you.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:05 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gkp
I'll be there, too.
Ran into a fellow MINI driver at WGI a couple days ago. Her name is Alex and she drives a dark Blue MCS with a half cage. From the Boston area...says she knows VV.

Guess she is now an instructor with SCDA..

Old 10-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
Finally, a chance to let you know about the Sept 21 and 22 weekend at WGI with GVC...

I got to meet Beaner and his MINI. Nice car, but, sadly it was sidelined by a bad supercharger. Still great to meet another MINIac

Once again, running A Solo. Boy is that nice. But I am learning what I don't know. Saturday my head wasn't into it and the DTC saved my butt a couple of times. Going into T6 I came off the brake too quickly and the backend stepped out. The DTC caught it before I did. I was running the old, tired and over-heat cycled Z1s because I thought it was going to rain. They were like glass with a very abrupt release. No rain in 3 sessions, so I put on the R888s. Half a session out, the rain came. Back on went the Z1s. But they could not deal with the amount of water that was coming out of the sky. Rivers everywhere. I made it a lap, white knuckled, and pitted. On the plus side, Tracktime Photo got a great rain shot of me. One of the best car pictures I have seen. Lesson learned - be really careful if on the track when one's head not fully functioning or, maybe, don't go out???

Sunday, day 2, wow what a difference a night's sleep makes. Back on go the R888 and out onto the 55 deg track. Yup, cold. Expecting the tires to have the grip of wrestler going after a greased pig. Nope - these tires are amazing. The car was amazing and I was greatly improved. Mood improved, driving improved, great day all around. Even the little mix up in the first session going out with the Instructor and they forgot the passing rules and I got passed on both sides while exiting T6. Ended the session early. Vented a little and went back out with them the next session. Mood better, driving better...did I already say that?

One worry, though, with the DTC. It uses the brakes instead of a mechanical LSD to control wheel spin in corners. Well I toasted a set of pads in a day and a half and destroyed the right rotor in 4 days. Part of the rotor's problem seems to be over-cooling on the inboard side from the brake duct that blows on them and not enough cooling on the outside of the rotor. This cracked the rotor in 3 places. When I say cracked, I mean top to bottom and though the wall. It may be time for a Quaife.

Anyone stopping in at LRP this Saturday? Patroons is there, as will I be there.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:39 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Sounds like I got out of there just in time! It was beautiful the previous three days there with Beaner and GV.

Was at WGI Monday & Tuesday with G52, what beautiful weather!

So - drove a friends car for the first time ever and it was his first time at WGI ever. On Monday we got parked at around 2pm because of too many "off track" calls from the corner workers. Car owner was going over the exit curbing at T1 as a result of carrying too much entry speed, most of the time being 4 off. Apparently you are only eligible to go over that curbing in an actual race! It's not ideal to go over it but certainly not critical if you do with all the runoff there. On Tuesday morning he was called for going 2 wheels on the curbing but I think by then they were watching that car because of Monday.

I went agricultural racing (on Monday) exiting the bus stop, went right of the 4th apex, trying to get used to the handling of the car. It understeered so I didn't want to keep too much steering in it as you need to start your run into the outer loop so I let the car go thru the grass, no biggie.

Then I spun at the entry to T8 ending up pointing at the inside guard rail mid corner. Driver error in a new car. Car has no ABS by the way... No one around so I backed up and continued into the pits expecting a conversation with the organizer but he never showed up.

Car owner then beached the car in T8 after lunch and then we were parked. Oh well.... we had another day so not a big deal.

Tuesday we cleaned up our act after we both got comfortable in our individual situations and drove well. That car races in NASA as a Spec class and it's current record is a 2:13.8xx. With a heavier car and less HP both of us crushed the record by nearly 3 seconds! Owner got a 2:11.1xx and I a 2:11.3xx running on old tires and no ABS. There is more left in the car..

Sorry for the bright exterior, camera is set so far back the exposure is great inside but not right outside. Need to adjust.

Enjoy....

Last edited by S-Driver; 10-03-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:49 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Anyone stopping in at LRP this Saturday? Patroons is there, as will I be there.
May see you there...

Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Sweet
What kind of car was that?

Hope to see you Saturday.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:57 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Sweet
What kind of car was that?

Hope to see you Saturday.
I'll tell ya Saturday!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Sorry for taking so long to update...
It was nice to see S-driver at LRP on the 5th. Glad you and your friend could make it.

What was promised to be a crap day turned into a great day. Driving down in drizzle and fog, I wondered what was to come. I have already had 4 days in the rain and becoming quite the expert at wet track driving, so I was semi-excited about practicing somemore in the wet. It even drizzled as I put on the R888s instead of leaving on the rain tires, being optimistic. Had a great instructor the first session who worked with me on Big Bend and later with the down hill turn. Got signed off for Advanced solo the first session... It may have helped that it was still drizzling and damp for that first session so I was on my best behavior. From there the day just got better. By the last session, it was blue skies and had warmed up. Best of all, the car performed as well as I could have asked. There was also a "moment of glory" when I mentioned to someone taking pictures of the parking lot from the Timing Tower, "make sure you get the MINI back there in the shot." and they asked "why?" and I said it's mine. Then they said to their friends, "Hey, here's the driver of the MINI! Boy that car really moves!". And of course I could think of "nothing" to say from there... Got to love MINIs for the attention they get.

I am please with what I have done this year. A-solo with GVC at WGI and with Patroons at LRP. The kicker is that I have never had any real instruction at LRP. I hit 24 days total and looking forward to a few more next season.

I do, however, need to figure out what to do about the "cooked brakes". I have plans for some duct work that should be fun to do. If that doesn't work, maybe it is on to a Quaife.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by S-Driver
Sounds like I got out of there just in time! It was beautiful the previous three days there with Beaner and GV.

So - drove a friends car for the first time ever and it was his first time at WGI ever. On Monday we got parked at around 2pm because of too many "off track" calls from the corner workers. Car owner was going over the exit curbing at T1 as a result of carrying too much entry speed, most of the time being 4 off. Apparently you are only eligible to go over that curbing in an actual race! It's not ideal to go over it but certainly not critical if you do with all the runoff there. On Tuesday morning he was called for going 2 wheels on the curbing but I think by then they were watching that car because of Monday.

I went agricultural racing (on Monday) exiting the bus stop, went right of the 4th apex, trying to get used to the handling of the car. It understeered so I didn't want to keep too much steering in it as you need to start your run into the outer loop so I let the car go thru the grass, no biggie.

Then I spun at the entry to T8 ending up pointing at the inside guard rail mid corner. Driver error in a new car. Car has no ABS by the way... No one around so I backed up and continued into the pits expecting a conversation with the organizer but he never showed up.

Car owner then beached the car in T8 after lunch and then we were parked. Oh well.... we had another day so not a big deal.

Tuesday we cleaned up our act after we both got comfortable in our individual situations and drove well. That car races in NASA as a Spec class and it's current record is a 2:13.8xx. With a heavier car and less HP both of us crushed the record by nearly 3 seconds! Owner got a 2:11.1xx and I a 2:11.3xx running on old tires and no ABS. There is more left in the car..

Sorry for the bright exterior, camera is set so far back the exposure is great inside but not right outside. Need to adjust.

Enjoy....

Group 52 - WGI - October 1st, 2013 - YouTube
Nice...watched the whole thing this time.
Just realized that you were shifting between T2 and 3...and here I am short shifting so I don't have to shift in the essess. Go you

Wish I could have see your line better but what you were doing looked very fine. Keep it up.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:02 PM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy....
vo
Group 52 - WGI - October 1st, 2013 - YouTube
I wish there were a way that you could have driven 51 at WGI. you obviously can get around there! the DM track record is 2:02xx.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:36 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
I would have enjoyed it! Maybe next year I'll get the license - see how everything goes!

Old 10-18-2013, 05:48 PM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have enjoyed it! Maybe next year I'll get the license - see how everything goes!
if they have a school before the WGI Endurance Series race, like this year, you can drive 51 if you want. i'll crew for you next time.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:21 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bean
if they have a school before the WGI Endurance Series race, like this year, you can drive 51 if you want. i'll crew for you next time.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:29 AM
fasttruck22
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That G52 driver was in good hands learning WGI from S-Driver, he is a real talent a "natural". Sorry not MINI related but here is a fun video from a previous G52. The car I was testing is seen at 30 seconds but watch to the end for something very special - Ferrari V10 F1.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:03 AM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Actually Bob, that is a Judd V10 powered Dallara F1 car. That's the one I saw at VIR recently. Everyone, including me, thought it was a Ferrari.

Sweet none the less!

Attached Thumbnails SCDA HPDE Schedule-img_0893.jpg   SCDA HPDE Schedule-img_0822.jpg  
Old 10-19-2013, 10:06 AM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Off to OVRP for a 3hr kart enduro. Supposed to be a few G52 drivers there. Mike S organized it..

8 - 3 man teams..

Old 10-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Ya know, Tony Stewart turned a 1:42 in Hamilton's F1 2 years back...just say'an.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:37 PM
gkp
5th Gear
Happy Holidays all you MINI drivers here on the mainland and in the Hawaiian paradise.

S-Driver: If there's ever a time when you can use my aging hands as a crew member or gofer, let me know. My new work situation gives me a lot of flexibility and I am always looking for car-related adventures.

VeggieVet: I haven't forgotten the video from LRP. Coming one of these days. Promise!

Old 12-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
+1

Happy Holidays everyone

Old 12-10-2013, 07:11 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Ditto!

Happy Holidays guys!

Thanks GKP, I'll keep that in mind...

Old 12-10-2013, 07:45 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gkp
Happy Holidays all you MINI drivers here on the mainland and in the Hawaiian paradise.

S-Driver: If there's ever a time when you can use my aging hands as a crew member or gofer, let me know. My new work situation gives me a lot of flexibility and I am always looking for car-related adventures.

VeggieVet: I haven't forgotten the video from LRP. Coming one of these days. Promise!
Happy holidays to all. Hope you have some fun in the snow.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Happy Holidays - again

I just thought I would say it again...HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all
and hope all is well with everyone.

My plans for next year are coming together, with a bit of skiing then tracking sprinkled around a major vacation in June. I have noticed a few track groups have already started to post schedules for 2014.
WooHoo

I am also looking into the incompatibility between the DTC's eLSD and the Wilwood BBK. Just something to keep me thinking though the winter. I'll let you know how it works out.

Lastly, it looks like S-Driver isn't the only one with a "crazy" MINI (or in this case "Mini") car build project. Check out the videos in this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...bocharged.html

Cheers

Old 12-24-2013, 03:41 PM
gkp
5th Gear
Back at ya. Happy Holidays.

Quick Reply: SCDA HPDE Schedule