Driver's School Discuss tips, techniques, and schools for enhancing the driver portion of the performance driving equation.

BMWCCA @ Road Atlanta 6-7 July

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:31 PM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMWCCA @ Road Atlanta 6-7 July

i signed up for this event. i can't wait to get the MINI on this track. it should be too much fun. Will any other MINI's be participating? Post here.....Maybe we can come up w/ a GTG if there is enough interest....

Old 05-12-2007, 07:29 AM
hornguys
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in.

Went to the last one and had a blast.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:48 AM
bean
5th Gear
great! i'm pretty sure that mozzerella will be signing up as well. do you have any idea how BMWCCA sets up their run groups? i haven't run w/ them or at this track, but i have done quite a few DE's. (Sebring next weekend!) i'm pretty sure that i would hate to be in the novice group....i would like an instructor, however. anyone else interested? (or is it going to be the "old fart's club"!)

Old 05-12-2007, 09:37 AM
hornguys
5th Gear
It's usually two morning runs of about 20 minutes each, and two afternoon runs of the same length both days.

There are 4 groups - novice (D); some experience (C); Why cant' I be in 'A' and I'm gonna prove how fast I am no matter what happens (B); and considerable succcessful experience (A).

Everyone starts off with an instructor (a good thing) and usually the 'wannabe A' B's eventually get signed off as well as the A's, and finally a few C's, but the instructor may ride at least several times, even with A's.

Best run events in my experience, period.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:06 AM
mozzarella
Banned
I'm in. Just got finished getting the car inspected for Barber's the 26th and 27th.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:24 AM
bean
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hornguys
Why cant' I be in 'A' and I'm gonna prove how fast I am no matter what happens
You have accurately described my driving in the first session of most DE's! i'm trying to break myself of this habbit. by the end of the weekend, i'm always much smoother and faster that in my initial "bonzai" run. i really don't care where they put me. DE's are alway fun.

Mozzarella: glad to have you in the fold.

Last edited by bean; 05-12-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:55 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Couple of us from the Dallas area are talking about coming as a group. What it a decent place to stay while in the area.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:02 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
Well you can always say you spent the night in a Holiday Inn Express!

Although we live in the greater Atlanta area, several of us stayed at the Holiday Inn Express referenced on the Road Atlanta website.

Of course, Barber Motorsports Park is amost 200 miles closer each way...

The BMW HPDE is May 26-27...

Last edited by hornguys; 05-12-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:35 AM
bean
5th Gear
gnatster: it would be great to see that beast of yours on the track. if you want to go, don't wait too long to sign up. a recent PCA event at RA had 250 applicants for 125 spots. hope to see a strong MINI turnout.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:04 PM
tommybwell
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We had a great MINI turnout at the March school. Dont be in too big a hurry to move up in class. Most all of the the MINI's are in C and D. It is such a fast track that it is hard to handle the M3's. I was also always happy to have my instructer with me. He had good input every session.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:29 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Arranged for a tow vehicle and trailer that can hold at least 2 and probably 3 Mini's. Got another person to split it with and about to PM a 3rd. Then we both went to sign up for the event and DING....SOLD OUT...

We are wait listed.

I've sent the organizers an email to see what the chances of getting in for 2-4 Mini's would be.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:34 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
FWIW - the BMW CCA event at the new Barber Motorsports track in the Birmingham/Leeds, AL area - a superior venue in almost every way - was still open two days ago.

Much shorter trip for you as well. Same price, same organization.

Dates are May 26-27.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:23 AM
bean
5th Gear
gnatster: sorry you didn't get in.....i tried to warn you. we'll hook up on a track sometime....

hornguys: i definitely want to make an event at barber. but w/ sebring, moroso and homestead in my back yard i don't know when it will be. i have run w/ PBOC and PCA so far. Road Atlanta will be my first BMWCCA event. we also have NASA, Chin and Safe here in Florida. The state sucks on many levels, but the availability of track time is the best!

Old 05-16-2007, 12:44 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bean
gnatster: sorry you didn't get in.....i tried to warn you. we'll hook up on a track sometime....

hornguys: i definitely want to make an event at barber. but w/ sebring, moroso and homestead in my back yard i don't know when it will be. i have run w/ PBOC and PCA so far. Road Atlanta will be my first BMWCCA event. we also have NASA, Chin and Safe here in Florida. The state sucks on many levels, but the availability of track time is the best!

We didn't lollygag, being as it's not exactly around the corner we needed to get our ducks all in row before commiting. As many track days as there are out there it's still hard to get booked when things have to fall into place.

Maybe we should get some one to put on a Mini Track Event in conjunction with a National Event. I've done this before with another marque and almost bankrupted myself. So now I pay to play.

Barber sounds great, but it's too soon. I can't wrangle all the ducks to line up in time with other commitments I have.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:57 PM
bean
5th Gear
gnatster: i certainly wasn't accusing you of lolly-gagging. i gave you the required information and you took steps to make it happen. i just know how fast RA events sell out. i joined the peachtree chapter to take advantage of the early signup period. when the stars all align, we'll meet on a track. if someone has an idea for a future event that can be MINI dominated, post it up here. SSM has plans for a late october date at Sebring: http://www.sunshineminis.org/forums/...ic.php?t=11704

All are welcome. if someone wants to plan a more centrally located track day, i'd make every effort to attend.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:00 PM
mozzarella
Banned
Last I heard BMWCCA still had about 10 spots open at Barber's next weekend.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:35 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bean

All are welcome. if someone wants to plan a more centrally located track day, i'd make every effort to attend.
Phil Wicks at Talladega, AL TGPR for two days over July 21-22.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:01 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
I'll be at Barber next weekend for the BMW event. I was at Roebling road today and i'll be at CMP the weekend after Barber. You'd think I had a job..... The CMP event is a mustang event. I was told there were a few MINI's coming. I hope my students will all be in MINI's. We can make high horsepower cars angry in the turns.

opps, sorry to highjack the thread. I'll be at VIR the weekend in question.

Last edited by bluesmini; 05-20-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:05 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Recieved an email today they have a spot for me. BUT since the truck and trailer comes with another Mini driver thats also wait listed I need to see if he also was able to get a sopt. Have until Friday to commit, so there is still a possibility.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:35 AM
bean
5th Gear
gnatster: i hope your buddy gets in. i'd like to see both of you at RA. if he signed up at the same time as you, he should be close to the top of the wait-listed.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:55 AM
cube17576
Coordinator :: STLMini
I will be there from St. Louis. I am looking forward to it.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:25 AM
bean
5th Gear
Cube: i look forward to seeing you. can you please bring me some real tomatoes and some sweet corn? i'm from the midwest and i really miss these!

Old 05-24-2007, 04:52 PM
phlash
4th Gear
This is a very well run event. I have a friend instructing there that weekend (running a grey RX8). I can't do this one, as I am instructing CMP the following weekend and at the Grand Am races the weekend after that......my July schedule is toast. It's an awesome track and newly repaved!! Some of the walls have been moved back as well. Just remember, on the floor coming through and down to 12.....it's a blast!!! You guys have fun!! I'll be there instructing at a NASA-SE event in August. Bluesmini...we're you in IC at RR (I was in the red 8)???

Last edited by phlash; 05-24-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:28 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
Yup, that was me. You had the checkerboard headlights and blue fogs?

Old 05-25-2007, 03:33 AM
phlash
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bluesmini
Yup, that was me. You had the checkerboard headlights and blue fogs?
That's the one. Great time. The Mini is our newest horse...I kept meaning to get with you on some stuff about it, but the opportunity never came about. I will catch you the next round. Have fun at CMP!

Quick Reply: BMWCCA @ Road Atlanta 6-7 July