Drag Racing 1/8 and 1/4 Mile MINI Runs

Launch Technique

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:20 AM
spillman
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Launch Technique

Just wanted to take a poll of how everyone "gets moving" at the drag strip.

I do a small burnout to just heat the tires a little and clean the trash off.
I normally rev up to about 4,000 RPM (holding the car in place with the e-brake) and dump the clutch. I do this with falken azenis sports. The size is 215/45/16 with about 24 psi in front tires. This causes a good bit of wheel slip, which I do to keep it from boging.

I consistently have 60' times in range of 1.98 to 2.15.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:54 PM
5th Gear
Those are some of the fastest 60' times when compared to the 1/4 mile database. what kind of 1/4 mile times are you seeing?

Old 05-08-2005, 06:42 PM
spillman
5th Gear
I have not run the 1/4 mile. The local track where im from is an 1/8 mile but I'm wanting to make a venture to a 1/4 track soon.

Just had a 19% put on and ran a 9.4 @77mph on S lites with BFgoodrich sport tires. I am deffinetly goint to have to change my launch technique. Had terrible 60' foot times with these tires. They went any where from 2.5 to 2.9. Hope to have the azenis on this thursday.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:55 AM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
I also rev up to about 4000 and drop the clutch, but i had stock run flats on the car when i ran it and its been so long i cant remeber my 1/4 time. I have yet to make another pass with different tires. But i am interested in seeing what other people post on how they launch their cars .

Old 06-01-2005, 05:59 AM
stylin99
3rd Gear
If you're running street tires with low profile sidewalls (as all coopers will have), there's no need to drop the pressure in the tires. Low profile street tires do not wrinkle like a racing slick or drag radial tire therefore dropping psi only increases drag. Increased drag on the tires will only slow you down on the top end. Try leaving your pressure above 30 psi. You should see higher mph assuming all other factors are the same (temperature, humidity levels, track conditions, etc).

You only need to clean the tires as you come up to the line, no burnouts. Just give 'em a quick spin to clear the debris and any water possibly left on the track from the last car. A big burnout or trying to get heat in the tires is useless on these tires. And you're only putting heat in your engine at the point you least want that to happen.

Go AROUND the waterbox (for those that weren't sure of what to do). Do not drive street rubber through the water. it's only going to get into your tread, sling up in your fender well, and drip on the track for the next car behind you to deal with.

I've not taken the Cooper to the track yet, but will be soon. My Mustang has seen about 200 trips down the 1320. The above comments are tips for ANY car, and is standard practice for street radials.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:37 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I have the MCSa and the way I have always launched in an auto car is to rev to about 4k rpm with the brake. I mean the brake you hit with your foot. Is this better then using the E-brake or not. I find this to be a quick way for me to launch by just releasing one pedal. What can I say I don't have a clutch and was wondering about this the other day.

Although the brakes seem to have a hard time holding the car when it is in gear and revved to 4k. Any suggested are welcomed.:smile:

Old 06-02-2005, 06:40 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
for a CVT the fastest method is to start out in 1st gear manual mode, put yor foot to the detent but dont go past the detent yet, when it reaches 4k-5k flick it over to D and then back to SD and push your foot all the way. DSC off is best

Old 06-02-2005, 07:33 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
for a CVT the fastest method is to start out in 1st gear manual mode, put yor foot to the detent but dont go past the detent yet, when it reaches 4k-5k flick it over to D and then back to SD and push your foot all the way. DSC off is best
I got to try this when my car gets past the break-in period. This swtiching between modes sounds interesting.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I got to try this when my car gets past the break-in period. This swtiching between modes sounds interesting.
It may be a bit different with the non-CVT atuo....i dont know

Because the CVT only has cones instead of gears, when you do the switch, it JUMPS the revs up quite a bit and literally throws you into your seat and then stays there. I dont know how an auto that shifts gears will handle it...it may just shift up to the next gear instead of the jump up into the high rpm band....let me know how it goes

Old 06-24-2005, 05:45 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
It may be a bit different with the non-CVT atuo....i dont know

Because the CVT only has cones instead of gears, when you do the switch, it JUMPS the revs up quite a bit and literally throws you into your seat and then stays there. I dont know how an auto that shifts gears will handle it...it may just shift up to the next gear instead of the jump up into the high rpm band....let me know how it goes
We'll find out tonight. I'm gonna go after work to the local track and see what my 1/4 mile time is in my MCSa. Car has the gas light on so its very low on gas

Old 06-24-2005, 05:53 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stylin99
If you're running street tires with low profile sidewalls (as all coopers will have), there's no need to drop the pressure in the tires. Low profile street tires do not wrinkle like a racing slick or drag radial tire therefore dropping psi only increases drag. Increased drag on the tires will only slow you down on the top end. Try leaving your pressure above 30 psi.
Speaking purely hypothetically here. Is not the lower tire pressure to increase tire patch, hence increasing off the line traction, rather than to "wrinkle" the side walls?

Originally Posted by spillman
I consistently have 60' times in range of 1.98 to 2.15.
BTW, those 60' time sound really strong. Keep up the good work :smile:

Old 06-24-2005, 07:23 AM
stylin99
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dominicminicoopers
Speaking purely hypothetically here. Is not the lower tire pressure to increase tire patch, hence increasing off the line traction, rather than to "wrinkle" the side walls?
Some people think that yes, but on a 205mm tire of the Cooper, you "might" gain an extra millimeter of rubber touching the ground, if you're lucky. That's an insignificant amt of extra traction, and not worth the loss of top end speed you'll lose as well as the extra hp wasted in moving the underinflated tires. If the tire pressure is too low on a typical tire, you'll get the opposite effect, and lose the traction from the tires.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
can we break this launch technique down to "draging 101" or lower. I have never put a car on a dragstrip and would like to go but don't want to be doing EVERYTHING wrong and get embarassed... oh yea I got '05 MCS 6speed...

-Josh

Old 08-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Paul Webster
Banned
Drag radials will help and get your buddy to video it from the startline 3/4 view and then watch it frame by frame, its amazing what you learn.

Your 60fts are already very good you could go to an msd ign then be able to progam a launch curve in to help you off the line it works for us

http://www.eurodragster.com/santapod...jeff_meads.htm

Old 08-27-2005, 06:20 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by spillman
Just had a 19% put on and ran a 9.4 @77mph on S lites with BFgoodrich sport tires.
Have you thought about lighter rims? You can drop upto 15 lbs per wheel with a different rim and that could give you a better launch.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:53 PM
spillman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sndwave
Have you thought about lighter rims? You can drop upto 15 lbs per wheel with a different rim and that could give you a better launch.
Yes I do have lighter wheels. I had just put the S lites on because it had been raining so much that month. My best time with my Kosei K-1's and falken azenis without nitrous is a 8.998 with a 2.201 60ft time. Thats about as good as you can do without slipping the clutch out or using drag radials.

I am actually in the process of doing a return style fuel system with a two stage nitrous system. I hope to break 90mph in the 1/8th.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:08 AM
Paul Webster
Banned
Do you have adjustable suspension?? I was thinking of making some tie strapsto limit the front suspension extension.

Do you have the NX contoller on yours??

Whenever we have 2 staged the Anglia it usually increases the mph but hardly reduces the et we've usually gained 3mph at the 1/4.

I'm out next weekend in our Mini One with a Cooper S engine, quaife lsd and 15 inch Drag radials, it will be intresting