Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

That Zaino Shine

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 08:26 PM
fins4284
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
daMatta,

it makes sense cosmetically to top off Z with p21s. But if you catch a black car early enough with the Z, swirls will be minimized to near nothing. I had a black Vette which I treated with Z from the very 1st day and it was swirl-free up to the time I traded it.

fins....

Old 05-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Casey
5th Gear
true you can help minimize swirls, but with sythetics you don't get depth you do with carnubas and black is the color that shows the most depth...additionally sythetics give a saran wrap look to black cars. Don't get me wrong I love zaino and last year i had a dark silver s and zaino looked amazing on it, but the color is lighter and the metalic helps fake some depth.

What harm can it do to try to find out for yourself? Just dawn wash the car after you put on p21s if you don't like it, dawn won't affect zaino but will remove carnubas.

Alot of it comes down to what you want your car to look like and how must work your willing to put into it, zaino will last alot longer and gives a great shine, but lacks the depth of carnubas but carnubas dont' last as long. Using a topper which is a very very common process gives you the best of both worlds.

Old 05-08-2003, 08:34 PM
fins4284
3rd Gear
oh, and here's a little proof from my previous Vette:

Old 05-08-2003, 08:37 PM
fins4284
3rd Gear
agreed. i'll have to give your idea a shot. never too old to learn new tricks. our passion for detailing is amazing, ain't it?

Old 05-08-2003, 08:52 PM
Casey
5th Gear
amazing? it is evil! hahaha once you fall into the trap you start to cringe as a bug hits your car, you car is washed almost as much as yourself, your car has 10 times more expensive towels then your bathroom does, when you and your wife go out for a nice dinner and evening you ask her to wear z6 as her perfume...hehehe the list goes on....but I love how it looks...I just ordered a few of those autosharp pens today to get them a try - but not sure how they will handle claybars.

Old 05-09-2003, 01:00 PM
MichaelD
2nd Gear
Boys, Boys........!!!!! [it's a Three Stooges reference] Geez, guys, all I want to do is wax and protect my car. Frankly, I never even heard the world "claybar" until visiting this place. I don't want to change my lifestyle or go into bankruptcy buying auto care products. I respectfully and humbly request the Detailing Masters here to give a simple "This is easier than that", "this product is better than that" round-up for thos of us peasants out there - please.......

Old 05-09-2003, 01:10 PM
Casey
5th Gear
Mike - you won't get that answer - as it depends on what you want....what are you looking for out of the wax? just protection? do you want to wax every couple months and get better depth, or wax every 6 months and get better shine but worse depth?, is this car a daily driver? what is the climate you live in? do you drive your car in snow/ice where salt is used? what color is your car?

there is no one right product to use, there is a ton of great products to use depending on your needs.

Zaino and P21S are by far in my opinion the best and both are easy to use.

The type of towels matter...if on a budget go buy some 100% cotton baby diapers - they are cheaper then microfiber and work great....but if you use normal bath towels or cheap towels they have polyester stiching around the sides - and this WILL scratch your car - do you want that? I don't.

But yes I do agree - I and I'm guessing fins prolly take it over the edge a bit :smile: But if it is worth doing it is worth doing well....it doesn't take any more time, but knowing the little things makes it go faster and prevent scratches and damage to your paint which in the long run will cost you money or alot of your own time.

99% of people that wax their car shouldn't be! they do more damage then good. They often use cheap products from walmart that maybe last 2-3 weeks but only wax once a year.

I suggest you browse the forums at autopia.org and just read up on some of the threads there - you will learn alot and will help keep your car in better shape, look better, paint will look better years from now which will mean your resale will be higher, will save you money, etc.

Old 05-09-2003, 01:47 PM
fins4284
3rd Gear

>>But yes I do agree - I and I'm guessing fins, prolly take it over the edge a bit :smile:

They just don't understand, do they?