Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Mothers Back To Black

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 04:02 PM
sanduneboi
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mothers Back To Black

Used it on my black trim and it made it look AMAZING.... However, as soon as I washed my car, the trim was back to to it's blackish gray faded state... What would be a good product that does the same sorta thing as the mothers, but last LOOOONGER?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:37 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
I've read posts that said Black Wow works pretty good:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Wow/dp/B...0475765&sr=1-1

I need to clean my trim as well.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:26 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use Mother's back to black but I ususally apply a couple of coats to the trim. Works for a couple of washings.
The WOW is supposed to work pretty good but haven't tried it or seen it around here.
It's probably no better then Mother's.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:29 AM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I've used Black Wow and it works really well ! Great results but not cheap.

The directions state to use very little and I may have used alittle too much as it seemed to attract dust.

I'd give it a try but don't over do it like I did ! ! !

Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Black Wow it Sucks ***! I tried it multiple times using on a little pea sized drop at a time to gradually smooth into my outer plastic bits. It loves to attract dust and god forbid if you get it on your paint. It's such a pain to get off paint. I'm sorry to sound like such a whiner but 303 is so much easier to use. I don't care if I have to re-apply 303 after it rains since it goes on so fast and makes plastic look healthy.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I too was disappointed with Black Wow, especially considering the price....

Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 AM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
I've been doing some research and reviews of this look good:

http://www.pakshak.com/gtechniq-c4-p...orer-25ml.html

But, it's not cheap at all...

Old 02-29-2012, 12:02 PM
SniperDetailing
4th Gear
I personally really like Prima Nero. Spray it on a mf towel and just wipe the trim basically. Might need to do it twice, but it's fast, easy and fairly cheap. Back to Black works pretty well from my experience, but nero seems to last just about as long and is easier to apply.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Nrob
3rd Gear
Once you learn how to apply BlackWOW correctly it works extremely well. If you use the correct amount it's actually a bargain because it lasts so long and you use so little.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:49 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Just like Mother's Back to Black. I cut a small piece of sponge and use it to apply it to the trim rubbing it in as I go. I don't have to go back and buff with a cloth. It doesn't pick up dust and it seems to last a couple of washings.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Ronin82
2nd Gear
.... its plastic. What did you really expect? that shine isnt gonna last long, unless your keeping her covered in the garage most of the time, your expecting too much from that stuff . .....its better than the BMW brand though.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 AM
brad75204
Neutral
I have tried probably 10 or 15 different products and techniques. Most work great only for a few days or until it rains. Then i found a product called Restore Black from Bondo. You get it at WALMART nonetheless. It has lasted for MONTHS and the reviews show it to last approx a year. I wash my car at least twice a week, and it looks just as amazing today as it did the day i put it on. It takes a little time to do, but the results are amazing.

Just an FYI.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:44 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Will have to give it a try.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Flamewinger
2nd Gear
I would like to make my "Black" to white. Wondering if plastic dip will coat and stick to the trim?

This is a guy in England that did it. Haven't had a chance to ask him yet. SO far, two paint shops tell me paint won't stick too great.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:40 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Flamewinger
I would like to make my "Black" to white. Wondering if plastic dip will coat and stick to the trim?

This is a guy in England that did it. Haven't had a chance to ask him yet. SO far, two paint shops tell me paint won't stick too great.
Ask another paint shop. They make a paint additive that allows them to paint plastic bumper covers, they'll be able to paint your trim too. Look for a shop that does custom paint work, rather than a collision repair shop.

Dave

Old 04-18-2012, 05:53 AM
ECClubman
Neutral
Back to Black works great for me and I live in one of the harshest places in the US. (Imperial County, California were the summer temps are constantly around 118 degrees) I do not have a garage so my black plastic saddlebags on my BMW motorcycle and the black fender flairs on my previous Jeep take a tremendous beating. I have used a variety of products but Back to Black lasts the longest, doesn't attract dust, and is easy to apply. It really works well after the 2nd or 3rd time. Nothing else has done as well for me.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:47 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
For those saying black wow attracts dust you are keeping to much product on the plastic trim. You are suppose to go back over it with a clean rag and rub off any excess. Its by far the best plastic trim treatment I have used.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:58 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks K_H_D....

The number one problem is user technique. People on NAM, especially those newer to the community seem to have forgotten that I developed and tested it within this community before release back in 2007.

If you want a shine on your plastic, Black Wow isn't the product for you as it was designed for a matte finish. Use too much, and you'll get that shiny wet look like tire dressing and it WILL attract dust.

Use it properly...a sesame seed sized drop and let it absorb into the plastic a few days before washing, and you will get a nice dark, matte finish that won't attract dust. Used properly, Black Wow will last for months, and look better than any other product. Understanding how the product works is also key. If you've been using Mothers or Armor All and then use Black Wow, you probably won't have optimal results, because those products can inhibit proper absorption...it needs to be cleaned and prepped using Pre-Wow.

For those that complain about the cost...I've got thousands of users who say they love the fact that after 5 years, they still have more than half a bottle.

For those that complain about it being hard to get off the paint...take a clean microfiber towel and wipe it..it's gone. And no it doesn't hurt the paint if you get it on it.

As the inventor of the product, member of NAM since 2003, and forum sponsor, it amazes me to read stories like this, yet never get a PM or email about problems with the product....instead they just bash it here on the forums.

If you want a permanent result...get it painted. If you want to reapply after every few washes, get Mothers. If Black Wow is too expensive, then get some Peanut Butter...it won't look as good, nor last as long..but for some people...that's good enough.

I learned a long time ago that you can't please everybody, but create a good product, and teach people how to use it, they will love it.....you don't see Mothers or any other company here trying to help their user base.

Richard

Originally Posted by k_h_d
For those saying black wow attracts dust you are keeping to much product on the plastic trim. You are suppose to go back over it with a clean rag and rub off any excess. Its by far the best plastic trim treatment I have used.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Nicely said.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:39 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Never tried Pre-Wow or Black Wow but the reviews are all good. I've been using Mother Back to Black which works good if you use a little sponge and rub it in well. It's good for a couple of washes like Richard said and then redo.
Will have to try the Black Wow one day.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Texas Miniac
2nd Gear
I just ordered the Black Wow kit, with the Pre- stuff. I'll post up after we get the car cleaned up and the Black Wow applied. Then post up after another wash or two.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:10 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Got the order, thanks a lot! Just remember to let it soak in for a few days before your wash for best results. Will be glad to pass on any tips if you want. Less is always best with Black Wow...sesame seed to pea sized drops for most cases..nickel sized drops for the skirts...need maybe two drops like that for the whole skirt.

Originally Posted by Texas Miniac
I just ordered the Black Wow kit, with the Pre- stuff. I'll post up after we get the car cleaned up and the Black Wow applied. Then post up after another wash or two.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:52 AM
owi1kenobi
1st Gear
Anybody knows where i can buy this black wow locally i lived in orlando florida and i dont know where to buy one walmart? pepboys? autozone? chekers? .Somebody please help me im doing a complete detailing tomorrow and ordering it online just takes too long. Anybody in orlando that has one so i can goto your house and steal one.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Meguiars. Awesome stuff, Barry's the man.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:53 AM
laforze
4th Gear
Originally Posted by owi1kenobi
Anybody knows where i can buy this black wow locally i lived in orlando florida and i dont know where to buy one walmart? pepboys? autozone? chekers? .Somebody please help me im doing a complete detailing tomorrow and ordering it online just takes too long. Anybody in orlando that has one so i can goto your house and steal one.
It's not a distributed item. Richard sells it at his website because he created it. Go to www.showcardetailing.com

Last edited by laforze; 06-08-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Mothers Back To Black