Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Looking for Ideas concerning black plastic molding/trim around the base of the car

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Euro Clubman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Ideas concerning black plastic molding/trim around the base of the car

I'm hoping some brainstorming might help with the question of painting the plastic trim/molding around the base of a Mini.

What I've learned so far:

1. The plastic isn't smooth enough for vinyl wrapping.

2. Today I spoke with the owner of a local auto body shop. He said he first applies a solution on the plastic and then puts them in a drying room -- this is to remove chemicals from treatments etc. Then it's smoothed (I'm not sure if it is sanded or polished?) Then a base paint primer is applied and it is smoothed again. Then painted in the color of choice. Dried and finally a clear paint is applied.

Of course all this results in a rather costly solution to covering this plastic.

It seems like there must be something (a non paint) that a shop could use to cover these parts so they could then be easily painted. Spray or dip? Would epoxy work?

If someone could come up with a way to do this quickly and inexpensively, it sure seems like it could be a successful business.

Going the regular painting route here in Germany means more than $1000 to cover the trim

I've seen a couple of products to re-color the trim, but I'd love to get mine painted laser blue. It's a long shot, but does anyone have an idea?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:00 AM
irontree
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they have trim you can buy that can be painted. It comes primed ready for paint.
check on realoem for part numbers.
Here is an example of parts.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=51&fg=16

Old 08-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Euro Clubman
1st Gear
Wow! Thanks so much that's great to know. Much appreciated

I got very excited until I checked the parts prices, it too would be well over $1000.

Last edited by Euro Clubman; 08-11-2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-14-2011, 05:41 PM
ittybittymini
1st Gear
Hey Euro I had the same idea and haven't had much luck finding info on vinyl wrapping for the trim pieces. I was wondering and planning on calling up 3M about 94 Primer that they offer, to see if they think it would be sufficient to use on the trim pieces. It says that it helps with porous surfaces and that they recommend 2 coats before applying the vinyl. Have you read or heard anything about that product?

I will keep you informed if I find out about anything else.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 PM
kemo
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A $1,000 to paint it is pretty expensive, but I think that's what you're going to pay anywhere (for paint that is). The process he described is the best way to do it (anything less and the paint will peel). I believe a set of the paintable side skirts run $600 and up (at least the ones I looked at), then you still have to have them painted. Any type of vinyl will pit from the rocks and sand, so that will end up looking worse. 3M makes an extremely heavy duty paint protectant vinyl that a lot of pickup drivers use down in the front corners of the box (I have it on mine), it protects the paint from everything that kicks up from the front tires, but even it eventually gets scuffed and pitted.

Last edited by kemo; 08-14-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:03 PM
MyMiNi 2010
2nd Gear
Good luck!!!

Old 08-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Euro Clubman
1st Gear
Thanks everyone for the input

There seems to be so many technological advances, like carbon composite -- I keep hoping someone will say,"Hey, those could be sprayed and then painted without problem."

If I discover anything, I'll post it here -- so far it doesn't look too promising.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Euro Clubman
1st Gear
Goodbye Black Plastic Trim

http://r55mini.files.wordpress.com/2...-back-view.jpg

So I finally took the plunge and got rid of my black plastic, photos here for anyone with a clubman who is interested

Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Euro Clubman

So I finally took the plunge and got rid of my black plastic, photos here for anyone with a clubman who is interested
That looks amazing.
I also like the lines of S bumpers.
Well done!

Old 06-06-2012, 05:51 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

very nice!

which process did you end up using?

scott

Old 06-06-2012, 05:57 AM
Dr.Fox
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
beautiful looking paintwork! I've been thinking about doing this for so long...

Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Euro Clubman
1st Gear
Thanks everyone for the kind words. It's been a few months now, and I'm so pleased with the result. It was money well spent. If I had it to do over, there is one suggestion I have -- get the plastic interior door trim painted along with the black plastic trim. I'm going to get mine done, but it would have been much better to have it all done at once.

About the process, I described it on the blog post. Ask around and be sure to get a quality shop to do it.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:43 AM
stuartmark578
Neutral
It seems like there must be something (a non paint) that a shop could use to cover these parts so they could then be easily painted. Spray or dip? Would epoxy work?

Old 07-14-2012, 04:16 PM
fenderless 33
2nd Gear
Euro: Car looks fantasic. Did you take the black trim off or a body shop? I plan on doing the same thing and painting the ugly black same color as car. I will do it myself as I have painted streetrods before. My big thing is getting the wheel moldings off.
Any input there?

Old 07-14-2012, 06:03 PM
alwzopn
3rd Gear
Thanks everyone for the kind words. It's been a few months now, and I'm so pleased with the result. It was money well spent. If I had it to do over, there is one suggestion I have -- get the plastic interior door trim painted along with the black plastic trim. I'm going to get mine done, but it would have been much better to have it all done at once.

About the process, I described it on the blog post. Ask around and be sure to get a quality shop to do it.

Forget the car, look at that view!! Is that where you LIVE!?

Old 07-15-2012, 01:26 AM
Euro Clubman
1st Gear
The photo is in Austria, but we live on the border so I can see the tops of the mountains from our window here in Germany. When the sun shines it is really beautiful.

This year I bought one of those Fat Gecko camera mounts and as a test I rode over to Austria to where this photo was made. (BTW, the Fat Gecko works) Here is a video of the drive over in my Clubman.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:37 AM
Euro Clubman
1st Gear

Hi all, well I got quotes on getting my interior trim painted too, and after the shock got a quote on getting it wrapped. After that even bigger shock I decided to try it myself, if you're interested, here's the saga

Old 07-27-2012, 03:48 PM
fenderless 33
2nd Gear
Euro: Did you paint the trim or have it done? I am going to do the wifes and have painted before. I have the BC/CC just wanting to know about removal and re-install of the parts.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Euro Clubman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by fenderless 33
Euro: Did you paint the trim or have it done? I am going to do the wifes and have painted before. I have the BC/CC just wanting to know about removal and re-install of the parts.
The exterior trim was painted and removed by a shop. I decided to 3D carbon wrap the interior trim myself, I did it without removing it. The arm rests and the dash insert I bought on ebay used and cheap.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:04 PM
footballgiant
1st Gear
Really nice job, I also enjoyed the video...

Old 07-29-2012, 03:56 AM
Euro Clubman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by footballgiant
Really nice job, I also enjoyed the video...
Thanks, I got a useful tip on a German language forum, so maybe I'll give the trim another try. About the video, that Fat Gecko camera mount turned out to be a good idea.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:36 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
The photo is in Austria, but we live on the border so I can see the tops of the mountains from our window here in Germany. When the sun shines it is really beautiful.

This year I bought one of those Fat Gecko camera mounts and as a test I rode over to Austria to where this photo was made. (BTW, the Fat Gecko works) Here is a video of the drive over in my Clubman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXo6ZAyjlNw

Spectacular ride with amazing countryside - Thanks for posting this.

And the new painted trim is an awsome mod, nice Clubbie !

Old 07-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Euro Clubman
1st Gear
Thanks Gray! My wife was with me on the drive, otherwise it wouldn't have been quite so relaxing

Old 07-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Flamewinger
2nd Gear
Here's someone that might know something about the Mini Trim.

http://www.facebook.com/daoverfield