Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Pressure washer...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 AM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pressure washer...

Do any of you use a pressure washer to clean your mini?

I was thinking of getting one but most of the ones I've seen have pressure around 2500 psi. That just seems a little too much for cars as it would probable push past the weather stripping.

Anyway, if you use one, what model is it and how do you like it for washing your vehicles?

Thanks...

Old 04-06-2010, 01:23 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can adjust the output of a pressure washer a few different ways. One way is just to stand farther away from the car, lol. Pressure washers will mist the water on the car that feels like soft cotton. Put the tip right up to a paint panel and it will take it off immediately.

Pressure washers are great for removing really hard to remove stuff in wheel wells, on wheels, and even paint. I don't let my paint get that dirty so I find a pressure washer mostly unnecessary unless it's like my Nomad.

Professional mobile detailers use pressure washers because they have a huge tank of water and no way to get out..so a pressure washer is needed.

I used to have a Karcher electric pressure washer and it worked fine, though after a year, a seal burst inside and leaked water like crazy so I had to stop using it. I don't miss it.

I have a gas engine pressure washer at the shop but I don't use it, except to clean off the floors. It's noisy! But these work great with a foam gun to add foam to a car if you like that.

Some very old pix (2005) of me washing some cars with that Karcher

An early experiment with foaming...used way too much soap to be practical

An experiment I did with making a self contained water source for the Karcher using a 2 gallon(?) bug sprayer, the idea was to pressurize it by hand, and feed it into the Karcher so I could wash a car without carrying tons of water. Just wanted a small water source. It worked but eventually I discovered the Nomad which worked much better.

Richard

Originally Posted by mbu
Do any of you use a pressure washer to clean your mini?

I was thinking of getting one but most of the ones I've seen have pressure around 2500 psi. That just seems a little too much for cars as it would probable push past the weather stripping.

Anyway, if you use one, what model is it and how do you like it for washing your vehicles?

Thanks...

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 04-06-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Arcais
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As OctaneGuy said, they usually have multiple setting that are in degrees of spray. 0 degrees is a straight stream. I already had one to clean off the driveway. On the highest setting (0 degrees), it puts holes in bricks. I obviously don't use that for the cars. 15 degrees is fine though.

It's great for blasting off the brake dust, bugs and bird poop :-)

Mine also has a soap setting. There is a separate tube that drops into your car soap bucket. You have to cut the soap with water or it's too foamy. It sprays a lot of water with soap on the car.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:15 PM
booyun
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thinking about getting a pressure washer to wash my 'soon to be born' MINI JCW CM. I have 2 options (2000 PSI and 1600 PSI) that I am considering. Any issues if I get the stronger 2000 vs 1600? There is a 2300 option out there (these are all electric) but I think that is unnecessary.

Also, can anyone recommend a good foam cannon/soap?

Old 10-31-2017, 03:44 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I do NOT recommend a pressure washer for a car .... the average pressure washer can generate enuf force to take the paint off ......

Unless you are familiar with pressure washers and how to use them I say learning on your car is NOT a good idea .....

Old 10-31-2017, 06:04 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Here's a catalog page from a major car care company. Nowhere do they show a pressure washer for good reason. Richard Lin/Octaneguy has years of detailing experience and knows just how to do it. Don't learn on your brand new MINI.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/categor...wash+access.do

PS: I would recommend you contact Richard at http://www.showcarperfection.com/ and order a jar of Black Wow. There is nothing else on the market that keeps the black trim looking black.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:01 PM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
I read somewhere years and years a go that a pressure washer would drive the dirt into the finish and embed it. That seemed to be the case when I went to wax my '69 Datsun 2000. Since then I have always used a gentle stream even with a garden hose and the results have been what I want.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:03 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
If you (OP) are worried about embedded particles, that's what clay bar is for.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:00 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Pressure washer, flow control, not that difficult to use. Foaming action is pretty fun to watch. My pressure washer doesn't have the power to run a foam gun so I rarely use it.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:13 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Pressure washer, flow control, not that difficult to use. Foaming action is pretty fun to watch. My pressure washer doesn't have the power to run a foam gun so I rarely use it.
You might be pleasantly surprised by the foaming you can get from a regular hose and a foam gun. Maybe it's not a dramatic "Foam Lance" but if the goal is to pre-soak the car with lots of suds this works great:

Amazon Amazon

I'd save the money that pressure washer costs and use it for something like decent brake pads or a Dinantronics Sport module.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:25 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
A bigger pump pushing water through a small hole gives you the pressure. Most car wash places have large pumps as there are usually several bays involved so the pressure is regulated through the hole in the tip of the wand. I wash my car by hand but when on the road will stop by a car-wash to clean up a little and also spray into those body joints where dirt hides.

I use my 1600 PSI washer washer on the suspension, brakes, lower engine/transmission and underbody. I did use it on my son's engine bay to clean the painted areas, do not like to spray the top of the engine area around all the electrical connections.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:38 AM
2017JCWerks
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a pressure washer most times I wash the car. I also use a foam cannon with it. The paint has not been damaged.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:45 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
If you have to use it, just make sure you dont get too close to the paint. Some of the gas powered ones are so powerful they can blow off the paint. The lower PSI electric ones and holding the sprayer 2-3 feet away seems to be ok.

Foam cannons through the regular hose are safer.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-13-2017, 08:14 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Doubt you could shoot foam from a PW cannon and do damage to your car. Garden hose foam cannon works but nowhere near as well as the pressure washer ones.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:31 AM
booyun
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I went the route of using a PW and a foam cannon vs standard hose. I tested it on my Prius (soon to be traded in) and honestly I don't see what all the fuss is all about. As long as you are being smart about it, not holding it too close and using a safe(r) PSI, it seems fine. Plus, now I have an excuse to pressure wash my windows, grill, house, etc.

Using the foam cannon saves so much time!

Old 11-13-2017, 10:57 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I use a 3000 psi pressure washer to clean the bottom of my boat, it'll take off barnacles and bottom paint. I imagine it would strip off any chrome trim and emblems on the MINI pretty quick.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:20 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
I own a Mobile Detail Service company, we use 2500 psi PW's along with Foam Cannons. Pressure coming from the Foam Cannons will never hurt your paint. We also use a 25-35 degree tips on the pressure washer to rinse the cars, it gives you more misting than say a 10-15 degree tip that will cut in to metal and paint. You actually use less water with a pressure washer than a garden hose, which helps save water.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:20 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017JCWerks
I use a pressure washer most times I wash the car. I also use a foam cannon with it. The paint has not been damaged.
+1 Electric PW + Foam Lance is a great combo. I've got an MTM foam lance, and (presently) an AR Blue Clean "1900psi" unit.

I've done this for years, on numerous cars, and never encountered any paint damage. I do clay or auto scrub once or twice a year, but I doubt it's necessary to avoid it when rinsing with the PW. I use the widest angle for rinsing, and it's pretty gentle.

--Matt