Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Removing Swirls from A/C-Pillars **OctaneGuy**

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:53 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Removing Swirls from A/C-Pillars **OctaneGuy**

Here's a video clip for your enjoyment on how I removed the swirls from the soft plastic A/C pillars of the MINI. A-Pillars for the R50/R52/R53 and A/C Pillars for the R56 and onward. More videos on the way!

If you've got the bandwidth, choose HD for the best clarity.

I shot this at my new shop:

1121 N. Hawk Circle
Anaheim, California 92807

Prima Swirl and the Porter Cable 7424 RO polisher is featured here. The polisher is the OctaneGuy Modded PC.

Enjoy!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:03 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Last time I did mine, Richard, I used one of the small pads (orange) with Amigo and they came out like black glass. The small pad fits the pillar almost perfectly.

No Swirl, just the Amigo.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:05 PM
loadtoad
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great video. I can never get he swirls off my pillars! In fact this past weekend I used Prima Swirl, PC Speed 5 and an Orange Pad (but I actually put the swirl on the pad instead of the pillar).

Maybe I needed to go over it a couple more times. I did however seem to get them off the roof.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:13 PM
OctaneGuy
Yep, the small pads are nice, but for those that don't have the smaller pads,the standard pads work fine with an adjustment on technique. As for whether you need a white or orange pad, it depends.

Swirl is more aggressive than Amigo, so choosing a softer pad with a more aggressive chemical might work better or not depending on the situation. Amigo also has filling properties so it makes any dark finish look amazing. Using Amigo with an orange pad might be deceiving as you're using an aggressive pad and filling in any resulting micromarring through Amigo's filling properties.

After the white pad and Swirl, I'd still do a white pad and Amigo to finish it off. Results may vary of course.

Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Last time I did mine, Richard, I used one of the small pads (orange) with Amigo and they came out like black glass. The small pad fits the pillar almost perfectly.

No Swirl, just the Amigo.
Putting the polish on the pad doesn't allow you to focus the chemical where it needs to be most..on the pillar. On some pillars, the soft plastic is further marred with an orange pad, so you end up dulling it instead of polishing it. Using Amigo like CRPWJB might give better results, or using a white pad instead might also do it.

Originally Posted by loadtoad
Great video. I can never get he swirls off my pillars! In fact this past weekend I used Prima Swirl, PC Speed 5 and an Orange Pad (but I actually put the swirl on the pad instead of the pillar).

Maybe I needed to go over it a couple more times. I did however seem to get them off the roof.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:24 PM
loadtoad
3rd Gear
Thanks! I will try to clean it up next weekend and see where that leaves me.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:01 AM
kkcshipp
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
So my wife got me the Craftsman 10-in buffer/polisher for a gift.

How can I maximize its use it to create a great shine on my 02 Pure Silver MCS?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:31 AM
OctaneGuy
Well this tool isn't going to do any polishing of the paint. At best, it will enable you to apply wax to your paint more easily. So any "shine" enhancement will come from your wax application, however achieving the best look from your paint involves "polishing" and this tool isn't suited for polishing paint.

You will need to clay the paint to remove any surface impurities, then polish, then protect with a wax or sealent.

Richard

Originally Posted by kkcshipp
So my wife got me the Craftsman 10-in buffer/polisher for a gift.

How can I maximize its use it to create a great shine on my 02 Pure Silver MCS?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:31 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice vid OG!
I have to agree with CRPCDAJB - small pads are the way to go. I'm to the point now that my time is split between the small pads and the 6" pads when I do a MINI.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:38 PM
OctaneGuy
The only downside to small pads is that you have to change the backing plate with the wrench. Not a huge deal, and for me, I've got around 6 PC's that I can choose from, that I can outfit with smaller/larger backing plates, to make it less inconvenient!

Small pads cut faster and allow you to get into more areas..definitely the way to go...but as I said before..for those that don't have the smaller pads and backing plate.. you CAN polish a MINI without them.

Richard

Originally Posted by MiniMaybee
Nice vid OG!
I have to agree with CRPCDAJB - small pads are the way to go. I'm to the point now that my time is split between the small pads and the 6" pads when I do a MINI.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:06 PM
loadtoad
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
You will need to clay the paint to remove any surface impurities, then polish, then protect with a wax or sealent.

Richard
What do you use to polish the paint? I assume there is a number of variables there. Is swirl technically a polish?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:27 PM
OctaneGuy
Prima Swirl is a polish with diminishing abrasives. The paint defect known as a swirl, is not a polish.

You polish paint with a polishing compound. They come in different forms. Those that are hand applied are designed to break down quickly but they don't work very effectively.

Those that are machine applied are designed to have higher lubricity so that the longer you work them in, the finer they polish without getting sticky. Machine polishing can come in the form of using a random orbital polisher or direct drive rotary buffing.

I've got an entire article on this over at MotoringAlliance.com

Check out these articles
http://www.motoringalliance.com/libr...e-you-leap-31/

http://www.motoringalliance.com/libr...em-for-you-32/

Richard

Originally Posted by loadtoad
What do you use to polish the paint? I assume there is a number of variables there. Is swirl technically a polish?

Old 07-15-2009, 05:06 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
The only downside to small pads is that you have to change the backing plate with the wrench.
Honestly, now that I've done it a few times, I can change the pad + plate almost as fast as I can change the velcro pad... slip on wrench, spin off the plate/pad, spin on the new plate/pad. Yeah, would be even easier if the PC had a "shaft lock" button so you could just push it and spin plates on and off... but, as Richard says, it's really no big deal. I'm loving my small plate/pads too.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:55 AM
DavidJS
2nd Gear
Richard, in the video, are you using a 5" or a 6" backing plate. And do you recommend one over the other?

Old 07-15-2009, 06:27 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Richard, can you talk a little about the differences between the Prima line (specifically swirl and amigo) vs Meguires M83 (or is it M80?) which I have used a good bit after learning how on from your video.

Thanks,
Kenny

Old 07-15-2009, 06:57 PM
OctaneGuy
I use the Prima/Lake Country 5" backing plate. When using 6" or 6.5" pads (Standard Prima pads), your backing plate should not be the same size as you can really damage your paint by accident if the edge of the plate comes into contact with your paint.

Originally Posted by DavidJS
Richard, in the video, are you using a 5" or a 6" backing plate. And do you recommend one over the other?
Pretty simple. Meguiar's M80 was a good polish in it's time. It utilized one level of aggressiveness in polishing pads, the W8006 yellow pad which is similar in density to the Prima White pad.

If M80 wasn't aggressive enough, you used M83 which was about twice as aggressive. If that didn't work well, you were out of luck as far as using the PC.

I.e., you had 2 different levels of polishes and one pad to adjust your polishing capability.

With Prima, you have Prima Swirl, similar to M80, but a White, Orange, or Yellow pad. 1 chemical with 3 levels of aggressiveness of pads. By using 1 chemical you don't have to change techniques as you change aggressiveness. For example, M80 is a good polish, but M83 becomes gummy after a few minutes that makes removal unpleasant.

Prima Amigo is similar to #7 Show Car Glaze and M82 combined but even better. As a polymer glaze, it enhances the finish without the oils that #7 utilizes so application is easy...it wipes off like a sealant...very slick and easy. It fills in imperfections and is essential on all dark colors before going to wax. With a white pad, it can remove micromarring and holograms, but not much else. It won't remove swirls, but it will conceal them.

Richard

Originally Posted by k_h_d
Richard, can you talk a little about the differences between the Prima line (specifically swirl and amigo) vs Meguires M83 (or is it M80?) which I have used a good bit after learning how on from your video.

Thanks,
Kenny

Old 07-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Honestly, now that I've done it a few times, I can change the pad + plate almost as fast as I can change the velcro pad... slip on wrench, spin off the plate/pad, spin on the new plate/pad.
Time it! (I'm just curious )

Great video, Richard!

-Heather

Old 07-17-2009, 08:20 AM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Detailers Paradise
Time it! (I'm just curious )

Great video, Richard!

-Heather
Me too