Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

removing wax from wheelarches?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 01:45 PM
mcs13
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove wax from the wheelarches? i picked up my mcs 2 weeks ago and now the wax on the black plastic is becoming more and more apparent. any ideas ( besides choking the detailer at the dealer)

Old 05-28-2003, 05:15 PM
fins4284
3rd Gear
peanut butter, WD40

Old 05-28-2003, 05:19 PM
Casey
5th Gear
besides the above two supposidly peanut oil, crisco, lemon juice also work. There is alot of items on the market for this, but most are just coverups and after a rain or wash they start to show the wax again. I've also found that Stoners Tarminator will remove the wax in some cases.

GEEZ...where do we come up with this? Someone must have parked their car in the kitchen at one time and decided to make lemon flavored chicken batter fried in crisco with a peanut butter sauce and spilt some on their car.

Old 05-28-2003, 05:39 PM
kite-surfer
2nd Gear
I use armor-all wipes and it seams to take it all off but I do it the day after I wax. I go a little fast when I put on wax so it does get where I dont want it.

Old 05-28-2003, 05:41 PM
fins4284
3rd Gear
>>GEEZ...where do we come up with this? Someone must have parked their car in the kitchen at one time and decided to make lemon flavored chicken batter fried in crisco with a peanut butter sauce and spilt some on their car.

Old 05-31-2003, 07:53 AM
edgti
1st Gear
there is a company called Stoner (don't laugh) they have a product called trim cleaner and it works! Most chain stores carry it. If you can't find it just PM me.

Old 05-31-2003, 08:04 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>there is a company called Stoner (don't laugh) they have a product called trim cleaner and it works! Most chain stores carry it. If you can't find it just PM me.

I just tried Stoner's Trim Shine in a spray can. Still trying to decide upon it's worth.

Old 05-31-2003, 08:06 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Just re-read the can. It clearly says it will "hide" the white wax residue. Says nothing about dissolving or removing. So me thinks the wax won't get removed from the wheel arches.

Old 06-02-2003, 10:39 AM
ToeKneeC67
3rd Gear
Just did the peanut butter (Jiffy, creamy). OK, I did it thinking it might be a joke on anyone trying it :smile:

But I have to say it worked. Very impressive. I wish I knew this 15 years ago.

Thanks

Old 06-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Red
6th Gear
>>Just did the peanut butter (Jiffy, creamy). OK, I did it thinking it might be a joke on anyone trying it :smile:
>>
>>But I have to say it worked. Very impressive. I wish I knew this 15 years ago.
>>
>>Thanks

Is the oil in the paenut butter just covering it up?

Old 06-11-2003, 03:46 AM
kbseto
5th Gear
got the same problem...just waxed me mini this past weekend and got white strips all over the black trim. one guy told me to use a wet toothbrush to actually remove it, not cover it up. on some other thread, i read something about Mother's Back to Black trim care product. dont' know if it just covers up the white or actually removes it. haven't tried any of these yet.

Old 06-11-2003, 04:06 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
i use mother's back to black...
i just tried liquid chrome...from turtle wax...which also works well...

peace,
d

Old 06-12-2003, 11:55 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
>> on some other thread, i read something about Mother's Back to Black trim care product. dont' know if it just covers up the white or actually removes it.

I've used MB2B on my wheel arches. From initial goings, it appears it just covers the wax up for a while...I'm going to have to go out and find me some sort of peanut oil as everyone reports it EATS wax.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:10 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
The following pulled straight out of an Email from Sal Zaino:

"To remove any residue on plastic parts. Use some
lighter fluid or isopropyl alcohol on a soft rag or with a tooth brush. Rub
lightly on the spot to be cleaned. Repeat if neccessary. Then rinse the area
with water. The lighter fluid will not hurt the plastic. Do not use gasoline.
It will soften and
damage the plastic. It must be lighter fluid or you can try isopropyl
alcohol.... Also, believe it or not Peanut Butter also works great.... No
kidding it really does work.... "

Old 06-15-2003, 11:12 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
^^ Forgot to mention, the above directions were given once I asked him if his products left any visible residue on plastic trim. So I assume they are techniques appropriate for removing Zaino products, but I'm not sure about carnauba-based products.

Old 06-29-2003, 09:06 PM
rrypma
4th Gear
But, Zaino even recommends using their "wax" on the plastic trim. Do you Zainoheads get white streaks on the black plastic? Apparently, this doesn't happen with Zymol waxes (no silicone).

Old 06-30-2003, 09:17 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
^^ No streaks for me.

(with Zaino)

Old 06-30-2003, 09:31 AM
emobob
2nd Gear
Nothing will work permanently other than a very strong cleaner, all the other things just cover it up.

Use a bug and tar remover, it works, I promise.

And never use that wax again, switch to a wax that doesn't stain your trim, your life will be much happer (I personally reccomend p21s, but there are other goods ones).

And zaino doesnt streak the plastic, but I seriuosly doubt its good for it. Don't wax your plastic, just use something like 303 on it.

Old 07-14-2003, 07:41 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
There are 2 things that you have to do.. First remove it (I found that Peanut butter actually worked) Then go buy zaino. I spent 135 getting every thing that I needed, I mean total car care. Now the best thing is that I have done a 3 coat wax, and barely even used any of the product. It will last a long time, buch more than anything else I've used. When you wax wax every thing, especiall the plastic. I only tried it on my plastic in a couple little areas, and they look so nice... that nice black wet look!

Enjoy!

Old 07-16-2003, 11:11 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
I'm here to say that I have used Zymol, and it DOES leave streaks on the plastic. I had read this thread before using the stuff (Clear) which I REALLY like on the body, but I sure don't like on my trim (even though YOU GUYS said that it wouldn't streak). It's like there's a haze in certain points after a rain or a wash, and 303 works well to cover up, but then it comes right back.

So seriously, am I supposed to go out and spread Jiffy all over? Because I will. I'm man enough! But I want to be sure that it's actually going to eat all of the stuff off, and not just cover it up until the next rain storm!

Old 07-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Casey
5th Gear
unless i missed in this thread - it says zaino won't steak...didn't say zymol which I will guarantee myself it will streak.

Old 07-16-2003, 11:22 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Yes, peanut butter works. I didn't believe it, but tried it, and was shocked. As was my 2-year-old who couldn't understand why I took the Skippy down to the MINI.

I do suggest the creamy. I used the chunky, and I ended up grinding peanut bits into the plastic (but that washes off easily).

Oh, and it may not just be the oil. I ended up using the "low fat" peanut butter (tastes like crap, so it's a good garage supply) which has less oil than regular peanut butter. Still worked fine.

Old 07-16-2003, 11:26 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I used peanut oil applied with a piece of cotton, and it worked like a charm. Peanut butter works, but I found it a bit messy to work with (even the non-chunky variety).

I guess the next question is, is it something special about peanut oil, or will others work - corn oil, olive oil, PAM, etc.? I guess as long as it functions as a solvent...

Old 07-16-2003, 11:28 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Well, in Chinese cooking, we use a lot of peanut oil and sesame oil. So maybe sesame is the next one to try. Or tahini.

This is getting just a bit weird.

Old 07-17-2003, 05:48 AM
sketchedin
3rd Gear
So once the wax is gone, can you mask the black trim very carefully with blue/masking tape next time you wax? Just to avoid the same problem, ya know.

thanks

Quick Reply: removing wax from wheelarches?