DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

Today Is A Sad Day

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 04:36 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today Is A Sad Day -- Now Repair time!

Today is a sad day, but not extermely sad. Everything is REPAIRABLE...
I HOPE..... Heres what happened

I was going down the road and missed my turn. So I turned into someones driveway so I could turn around. As I started to back out I hit their mailbox I swear it jumped out of no where!

Well Here Are Some Pictures

New Picture I Added

Do you think its repairable. Hopefully the dealership can repair it!

Last edited by MNEEME; 01-26-2005 at 12:41 PM. Reason: COST of Repair
Old 12-19-2004, 04:45 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So sorry to hear, that does tend to put a damper on one's day, doesn't it. I'm sure its very repairable and you'll be good to go in no time.

Looks like a few shiney bits were damaged along with the painted bits...they'll have to be replaced. I'll bet PDR is out, too.

Old 12-19-2004, 04:50 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Should be able to fix it. Will be like new in no time.:smile:

Nik

Old 12-19-2004, 04:59 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Sorry to hear about your "attack of the killer mailbox".

My wife was backing out of our driveway with our small Honda Odyssey when out of the blue our neighbor's previously stationary mailbox jumped out of the concrete and smashed into the rear hatch causing momentous $600 in damage. The nimble mailbox slipped back into the concrete sidewalk quickly after the deed and was found to have no detectable damage. (I think the mailbox used a concealed weapon like a medium sized axe)

I think you can get a repair done pretty easily. Backing out straight is usually the safest but you'll have to see if anything is back there before starting up.

I have more trouble usually from concrete blocks that stop the front of cars from parking too far forward in stalls. The blocks will strike my front bumper lower edge if I get too cozy. I need the half height version of those blocks. Hey, they should make a special section of the parking lot for "tuned" sports cars. Probably a bunch of SUVs would park there.

Old 12-19-2004, 06:30 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by minihune
My wife was backing out of our driveway with our small Honda Odyssey when out of the blue our neighbor's previously stationary mailbox jumped out of the concrete and smashed into the rear hatch causing momentous $600 in damage. The nimble mailbox slipped back into the concrete sidewalk quickly after the deed and was found to have no detectable damage. (I think the mailbox used a concealed weapon like a medium sized axe)
I hate it when that happens!

Yes, so sorry about your misfortune. When I was younger, I once backed out of a friend's driveway into a parked car. Inside the car was a couple who were just hanging out (sure..... ). How embarasing that was. Backing up is so hard, so now I am very careful. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2004, 06:42 PM
HowardPM
4th Gear
The real

question is the mailbox ok? J/K, sorry to hear it. that sucks.

Howard

Old 12-19-2004, 06:42 PM
speltzer
5th Gear
Insist on a new hatch. The body shop will try to pull out the dent and use "Bondo" to smooth the hatch contours. Not a quality repair in my book

Old 12-19-2004, 07:02 PM
alpha-6
2nd Gear
Ha!, this all just took me back to my highschool days when I had just droppped this girl off from a date and her parents where sitting there waiting for her arrival- making my way off, I waved good-bye and as I was backing out and I backed my mom's TANK (Volvo 240 DL) into their neighbors' mailbox- needless to say it was the last time I saw her.

Old 12-19-2004, 07:08 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<<Insist on a new hatch.>>

I agree. I had a similar incident and thought it was no big deal. My body shop guys who are are both great and trustworthy said that hatch is extremely hard to repair right and replaced it.

Get new emblems and stick the old ones on your kids tool box.

Rich

PS- I am MUCH more careful now when I go in reverse. The truck I hit jumped out of nowhere too. <G>

Old 12-19-2004, 07:13 PM
DaCrema
5th Gear
I got nailed today too. Near Sugar Loaf Mt.

A deer jumped across the road and hit the left rear quarter panel. I was going about 35 to 40 MPH when it happened. Big dent up high behind the rear wheel where the sheet metal bends to meet the glass as it wraps around to meet the boot lid. There is no crease so a good body shop should be able to pop the dent out. The compound curve on the body pannel prevents me from trying it my self.

I saw the deer, a doe I think, running in the field. She was spooked by something or other. It ran paralell to us for a short while and then decided to jump the road. There was a big smeer of mud on the glass. I thought she broke the rear window.

The deer got up but it took a while for her get her legs again. She looked very dazed running off. There was no blood on the car, but I worry about internal enjuries.

I'm very bumbed.
John

Old 12-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Cynic13th
2nd Gear
Me too

Well bad days happen, and well this was mine also. Parking at my grandmothers, and apparently I don't visit enough, because that concrete step is much further out than I remember
So apparently driving over a 12 inch high peice of concrete is bad
tore out the plasitic wheel well thing, scratched my rim, and scratched the hell out of everthing else on the driver front coner, breaking everything plastic in the process
well misery loves company so I hope this helps
Good luck with yours!

Last edited by Cynic13th; 12-19-2004 at 08:12 PM. Reason: i can't speelll
Old 12-20-2004, 04:48 AM
Jen
6th Gear
Everybody on the East Coast be careful out there today in the cold. Some of the side roads in Arlington were a little icy this morning (as was my driveway!)

Last edited by Jen; 12-20-2004 at 04:48 AM. Reason: can't spell
Old 12-20-2004, 06:05 AM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
Get new emblems and stick the old ones on your kids tool box.
Haha Don't have any which is a good thing because I'm only 17! Still in High School, so this will be a High School Memory for me.

Anyone now how much a new hatch would cost? And possibly a new MINI badge? Thanks for everything.

P.S. - I'm out of school today because of the weather!

Old 12-20-2004, 08:48 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow! Now I'm sorry I read this thread! Bummer to all of you who with all the recent boo boo's...ouch.... Car's are repairable, people are not - so I'm happy to see nobody was hurt in any of these mishaps...

Chow!

Donna

Old 12-20-2004, 10:29 AM
wagen23
Neutral
No. Damage like that is not repairable. You are now a Post Office employee, and should report to work on the first of January. Unless there is snow, sleet, or rain. In which case you should cover the back of the MINI with plastic and return to the sofa until better weather.

The Post Office is using this method to recruit new employees. Mailboxes such as the one you were struck by are authorized to reach out and touch someone. You have been touched. Attempting to cover up the fact that a Federally authorized and duelly deputized United States mailbox has anointed you, by having repairs made to the car and failing to report to work could be a Federal offense.

You should probably see the nearest Postmaster and explain your situation. And buy some stamps. They need your money.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:46 AM
DaCrema
5th Gear
MNEEME,
that damage may be less costly to fix rather than replace. The badge does not cost that much. If you are in HS you will want to keep as much off the insurance recors as you can. Is your car SG?

My car, DaMINI, is a SG/B MC.
John

Old 12-20-2004, 11:08 AM
MNEEME
5th Gear
No my MINI is, MNEEME, BRG/W MC '02

Why you ask? Just wondering? SG - Solid Gold Correct?

Old 12-20-2004, 12:40 PM
DaCrema
5th Gear
no Silk Green.

Old 12-20-2004, 12:55 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
OK I see thats a nice color

Old 12-20-2004, 01:16 PM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
Could start the mods now, save some weight and get one of those carbon fiber hatches?

Don't even start w/ the RiCe crap comments!!! You know who I'm takin to!

Old 01-26-2005, 12:44 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Repair Time

I went to the local body shop here in Manassas. And got an estimate on how much it would cost to get my boot repair from that killer mailbox that attacked me! The final total is around $750.00 Now I'm just starting to worry if my MINI just won't look the same! I think I'm going to go for cause I don't enjoy the scars! lol Reasonable price?

Old 01-26-2005, 03:15 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Change of plans. I'm not going to get it fixed cause I'm just going to get more dings and stuff! So

SCARS ARE SEXY, BROKEN BONES AREN"T!@!@!

Old 01-27-2005, 06:48 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MNEEME
Change of plans. I'm not going to get it fixed cause I'm just going to get more dings and stuff!
I hope not! You should get it fixed now while the car is still fairly new. :smile:

Old 01-27-2005, 07:52 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
$750 isn't too bad for repair of that. It's cost me ~600 to replace my rear bumper after someone hit me in a parking lot. (stupid insurance company for the guy who hit me said I was partially responsible, you know, seeing as I was stopped at the time ).

Old 01-27-2005, 08:56 AM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Don't forget I'm only 17 and I'm not working right now. Job is closed for the winter... And I don't know if I want it fixed because of the cost and who knows what else will happen. My MINIs in 02 and had a previous owner so there are some dings and stuff in other places but not as bad! But I don't know what I want to do! I think I'm just going to leave if for now.

Quick Reply: Today Is A Sad Day