DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums
View Poll Results: Which date would you prefer for the Spring Fling?
Sunday, April 6
21.28%
Sunday, April 20
27.66%
Both are good - I can attend either one
40.43%
Neither - I can't make it to either one
10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

[Sunday, Apr 6th & 20th] Spring Fling 2008: Sunday Drive & Brunch

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 PM
e30r56
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm down and love the idea of more sunday runs! For a while I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who works saturdays.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:09 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hrcharron
Hi Everyone! I am new to NAM and have been reading a ton online and on DCMM about Mini's. My first (& brand new) mini should be here in about a week or two; making the big journey from Oxford. I would love to take part in an upcoming run in the VA/MD area. I live in MD now but not far from VA. The April 6th run date doesn't work for me. Can someone tell me any other dates for possible runs?
Thanks!
*Hijack*
Where in MD are you?
I invite you to check out our club web site and consider joining the cult...ooops, I mean..club. http://www.dcmetrominis.org/
*hijack complete*

Last edited by kgdblu; 03-07-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:13 PM
LUCK219
5th Gear
I'm in Rockville, MD. "The club" meaning DCMM?
I found the website online and have been checking it out. Doesn't seem like very much has been done lately...

Old 03-07-2008, 06:17 PM
The QZ
4th Gear
I think I actually may be able to do this one.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:34 PM
pyskacz
3rd Gear
I would like to try this one as well, especially if I get to see a blue MINI version of a certain green mustang that I have followed on previous runs, leading the way!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:41 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
I found the website online and have been checking it out. Doesn't seem like very much has been done lately...
Well, we don't do something every weekend. Life gets in the way of that..

Next weekend is the club's annual meeting after an informal breakfast at MINI of Sterling. The next day is the St. Patty's day run...

There's a $5 fee for non-members on club runs.

Last edited by kgdblu; 03-10-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:43 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you'll be all alone if you go to Towson

Old 03-07-2008, 06:55 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
duh..my bad...fixed it..thanks for the head's up..

Old 03-07-2008, 07:10 PM
T&CMCSa
4th Gear
The website doesn't get updated that often. I think the club is very active, especially considering it is winter. For a better idea of what the club is doing, try this link to our calendar:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lendar.php?c=5

Lots of stuff going on.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by T&CMCSa
The website doesn't get updated that often. I think the club is very active, especially considering it is winter. For a better idea of what the club is doing, try this link to our calendar:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lendar.php?c=5

Lots of stuff going on.

We have just had a new webmaster. He's in the process of putting things in place.
The website should be updated in very soon.

Thanks to Scavenger (Alan) for step in to help running the website.

Last edited by Maxicooper; 03-07-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:24 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Hey Alan...way to go

Old 03-08-2008, 01:32 PM
creseida
4th Gear
Well, I met Edge today - very nice fellow! We went out to explore the Spring Fling run and let me drive the fake Mr. OEM. Have never driven the rubber-band version of the Mini before. It was different. Smooth, but strange.

We discovered the the Orlean Restaurant is No More. :( But I introduced him to an alternative spot in Flint Hill called Griffin Tavern.

He also learned of my penchant for exploration: "Hey, let's see where this road goes..."

All in all a delightful day.

Last edited by creseida; 03-09-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by creseida
Well, I met Edge today - very nice fellow! We went out to explore the Spring Fling run and let me drive the fake Mr. OEM. Have never driven the rubber-band version of the Mini before. It was different. Smooth, but strange.

We discovered the the Orlean Restaurant is No More. :( But I introduced him to an alternative spot in Flint Hill called Griffin Tavern.

He also learned of my penchant for exploration: "Hey, let's see where this road goes..."

All in all a delightful day.
LOL that was confusing... Stephanie... how come you edited your post from yesterday? I did a double-take for a moment... she met me yesterday? Heh.

Yes, as Stephanie noted, Spring Fling Dry Run #1 is complete. There will definitely be a few changes to the route, mostly out of necessity (can't eat a restaurant that doesn't exist!), but a few more tweaks are yet to come. Many thanks to yet-to-be member Stephanie for her invaluable help today! Without her help, I would have had a lot more difficulty adjusting to the non-existent lunch stop. She also really helped to both steamline a few "less exciting" parts and add some new ones.

Lunch will almost certainly be at Griffin Tavern & Restaurant. We ate there today - the food was delicious (Shepherd's Pie - yummy!), and it was a really nice, quaint place. I think everyone will like it... even more so if the weather is warm enough and we can sit out on the deck. We do have one problem on the winery front though. Naked Mountain Winery (NMW) would be happy to host us again... but Sunday, April 6 is a really bad day for them as they have an open house that weekend, and there really wouldn't be room for us (and all of our MINIs!) all at once. So... it's going to come down to one of the two choices:
  • Option A: Reschedule to the alternate date, Sunday, April 20 (NMW can host us then with no problem). Upside: likely a bit warmer weather & more spring growth to look at. Downside: Having to wait longer & some people may not be able to make it.
  • Option B: Keep it on Sunday, April 6 (at least for now, barring other issues), and find another winery stop. There is another winery very close to NMW called Oasis. I'll check it out on the next Dry Run #2, which will probably be on Saturday, March 22.
SO - the real question is, what is people's preference? Or, do you not have a preference? No need to answer here in the thread - use the poll up top. NOTE: Your answer will be visible by everyone.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:10 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
The only problem with the 20th is the British & European Car Show @ Williamburg, Va. is then. Now, I really don't care about this, but some others might.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by JustJAY
The only problem with the 20th is the British & European Car Show @ Williamburg, Va. is then. Now, I really don't care about this, but some others might.
Chris and I were aware of that when we picked the 20th as the alternate date. We decided it would be OK to have a conflict for 2 reasons:
  1. The car show is not an official DCMM event (it isn't even MINI-specific!)
  2. It is in Williamsburg, VA... a very long drive... which means probably not that many people will want to go.
So I think it's OK to have a conflict in this case.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:20 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
Chris and I were aware of that when we picked the 20th as the alternate date. We decided it would be OK to have a conflict for 2 reasons:
  1. The car show is not an official DCMM event (it isn't even MINI-specific!)
  2. It is in Williamsburg, VA... a very long drive... which means probably not that many people will want to go.
So I think it's OK to have a conflict in this case.
No worries.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:54 PM
pyskacz
3rd Gear
I would be happy with either date, but almost hope it is the 20th, as it gives MoS another couple of weeks worth of "cushion" to get Mr. OEM all shiny and new.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:58 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
I was probably the only one planing to go to the Williamsburg show. And my friends in Williamsburg are going to be be in Japan then I just found out so... I'll skip that show.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:17 AM
creseida
4th Gear
I can only do the 6th - prior engagement on the 20th. I have my fingers crossed for the 6th - would love to meet you guys....

Old 03-11-2008, 03:10 PM
PGT
Banned
even me?

Old 03-16-2008, 04:40 AM
corrupt52
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
LOL that was confusing... Stephanie... how come you edited your post from yesterday? I did a double-take for a moment... she met me yesterday? Heh.

Yes, as Stephanie noted, Spring Fling Dry Run #1 is complete. There will definitely be a few changes to the route, mostly out of necessity (can't eat a restaurant that doesn't exist!), but a few more tweaks are yet to come. Many thanks to yet-to-be member Stephanie for her invaluable help today! Without her help, I would have had a lot more difficulty adjusting to the non-existent lunch stop. She also really helped to both steamline a few "less exciting" parts and add some new ones.

Lunch will almost certainly be at Griffin Tavern & Restaurant. We ate there today - the food was delicious (Shepherd's Pie - yummy!), and it was a really nice, quaint place. I think everyone will like it... even more so if the weather is warm enough and we can sit out on the deck. We do have one problem on the winery front though. Naked Mountain Winery (NMW) would be happy to host us again... but Sunday, April 6 is a really bad day for them as they have an open house that weekend, and there really wouldn't be room for us (and all of our MINIs!) all at once. So... it's going to come down to one of the two choices:
  • Option A: Reschedule to the alternate date, Sunday, April 20 (NMW can host us then with no problem). Upside: likely a bit warmer weather & more spring growth to look at. Downside: Having to wait longer & some people may not be able to make it.
  • Option B: Keep it on Sunday, April 6 (at least for now, barring other issues), and find another winery stop. There is another winery very close to NMW called Oasis. I'll check it out on the next Dry Run #2, which will probably be on Saturday, March 22.
SO - the real question is, what is people's preference? Or, do you not have a preference? No need to answer here in the thread - use the poll up top. NOTE: Your answer will be visible by everyone.
My family lives very close to Griffin Tavern, so some other wineries to explore out there along with Oasis (excellent) would be Rappahannock Cellars (I did a wine tasting dinner with them... fantastic) and Grey Ghost which is on 211.

Now depending on when we do the run, if its April 20th, my inlaws may have their cafe in Sperryville open by then or they may want to do a dry run before it opens and I can suggest a private party for us that day. It will be a soup/sandwich/ice cream kind of cafe in an old church in Sperryville (about 10 miles from Flint Hill on 211).

Griffin Tavern is amazing, but if it gets busy we could be there for a while. If you are interested in the private party and you think the date will be the 20th, PM me and lets see if we can work it out as an alternative if need be.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
What will be the final conclusion?

Old 03-18-2008, 04:51 AM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
Originally Posted by Maxicooper
What will be the final conclusion?
Yeah, I second that. When is it going to be? I need to see if I can make it or not!

Old 03-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
With the vote so close (identical right now!) I am leaning towards...

BOTH.

I'm happy to lead it both times, and having it on two dates allows for smaller numbers (which always makes for a smoother run). There will be some minor variations (primarily the winery we visit), but I think it will work well. Bonus - those who come on the 6th and have such a great time can always do it again 2 weeks later, if they like!

It will be a long run though - over 140 miles in total. I think that if things go OK, with a 10am start, we'll be done by 4 or 5... the option to "escape" early and take the more boring highway route home will also be there if people are tired by the 3/4 mark or so.

I'm excited about it - 2 dry runs done, one more dry run to go before the 6th.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:37 PM
bcski
3rd Gear
Hi, new member here... I will be driving in from Snowshoe the afternoon of the 5th. Is the Wegmanns where we are meeting located at 11620 Monument Dr, in Fairfax? (not familiar with the area and this is mapquests and my best guest)

Do you recommend a copilot/navigator??

Quick Reply: [Sunday, Apr 6th & 20th] Spring Fling 2008: Sunday Drive & Brunch