D Stock Exhaust Options For G-Stock

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 AM
foreverfadesx
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Exhaust Options For G-Stock

What are my after market exhaust options for G-stock? Is Invidia? I know it eliminates a CAT though....

Old 08-15-2008, 03:57 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-15-2008, 10:30 PM
foreverfadesx
2nd Gear
Hmm I'm a bit confused... I want a full exhaust system I can buy like an alta or Invidia. It's for an R56 Cooper S. Are those legal for G-Stock?

Old 08-15-2008, 11:27 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
I personally like the QuickSilver exhaust. Since you have to cut the stock exhaust at any point of your choosing after the 2nd cat, the QuickSilver exhaust will slip right on with no alterations just after the resonator(QuickSilver comes in 2 pieces, I bet they would sell just the rear piece, thats the only piece I used during the install since the front portion eliminates the 2nd cat and resonator and isn't legal). This allows for a great sound without that annoying drone and the best part is its very lightweight and makes good power.

Not that I am biased with QuickSilver or anything, they have sponsored me for the last 2 seasons in SCCA Solo and are very supportive of our sport.

Last edited by OasisT; 08-15-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:21 AM
foreverfadesx
2nd Gear
Sorry for all the questions but for an R56 I can install as long as I cut it behind the red circle (see attached photo)? That will be legal for G-Stock? If you don't mind also could you send me a list of the set up on your G-Stock R56? I'm new to autox in the mini so I'm trying to muddle through setting up the car. Thanks!

Originally Posted by OasisT
I personally like the QuickSilver exhaust. Since you have to cut the stock exhaust at any point of your choosing after the 2nd cat, the QuickSilver exhaust will slip right on with no alterations just after the resonator(QuickSilver comes in 2 pieces, I bet they would sell just the rear piece, thats the only piece I used during the install since the front portion eliminates the 2nd cat and resonator and isn't legal). This allows for a great sound without that annoying drone and the best part is its very lightweight and makes good power.

Not that I am biased with QuickSilver or anything, they have sponsored me for the last 2 seasons in SCCA Solo and are very supportive of our sport.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:30 PM
L8Apex
2nd Gear
That red circle is the resonator, actually. It's legal in GS to remove that. So you can use the entire QuickSilver system, so long as the entire system has 2 cats.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:21 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by L8Apex
That red circle is the resonator, actually. It's legal in GS to remove that. So you can use the entire QuickSilver system, so long as the entire system has 2 cats.
Actually thats partially correct. The red circled area is the resonator, and, you can legally remove it. However, you cannot use the entire QuickSilver system since the front portion of the system replaces the cat, which is the canister just to the left of the circled piece. The rear portion of the QuickSilver system is what i chose to use(rather than cutting/splicing part of the front system to remove the resonator). If you cut exactly at the correct point(by measuring carefully) after the resonator, the rear portion of the QuickSilver slips over the stock pipe and the QuickSilver uses the factory hanger points. The exhaust shop had mine installed in about 20 minutes with no rattles/leaks. Its unbelievable that the rear piece on the QuickSilver happened to be just after the resonator and it happens to slip onto the stock pipe. I am not sure if they planned that or not, I would assume not, so, it just happens to work perfectly.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:26 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by foreverfadesx
Sorry for all the questions but for an R56 I can install as long as I cut it behind the red circle (see attached photo)? That will be legal for G-Stock? If you don't mind also could you send me a list of the set up on your G-Stock R56? I'm new to autox in the mini so I'm trying to muddle through setting up the car. Thanks!
Oh, just to clarify, cutting after the circled area is indeed legal, you could also cut to the left of the red circle if you so choose but not to the left of the Cat to the far left. I would recommend contacting QuickSilver to see if they will sell you just the back portion of the exhaust and splicing it in after the resonator unless you really want to remove the resonator(which is OK, but, it will be a bit louder and only a couple pounds lighter).

As far as G-Stock setup, sure, I will PM you all the details. I remember when I first started running GS, Garfield was extremely helpful and gave me mucho info so I try to do the same for those in need.

Craig

Old 08-17-2008, 03:38 PM
foreverfadesx
2nd Gear
Awesome! Thanks so much. In the NYRSCCA there's no one who is there consistently with Minis so I'm a bit of a loss.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:07 PM
ken o
2nd Gear
Does the Quick Silver really make 35HP?

Old 08-24-2008, 04:30 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Maybe on the space shuttle...... 3-5 sounds more realistic.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:52 AM
cosmosmpower
3rd Gear
Bringing this one back. Was at a Mini tech day at the local dealer and was speaking with one of the dealer techs. We had the car up on a lift and were discussing the stock exhaust system.

He was adament that there is only 1 cat on the car and that the canister to the left is also a resonator. He pointed out that a CAT has to have at least 1 O2 sensor before or after to monitor emissions. Any truth to this? If so it seems like you could bolt some of the entire systems on without cutting where the first cat meets the flex pipe.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:14 PM
FLKeith
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cosmosmpower
Bringing this one back. Was at a Mini tech day at the local dealer and was speaking with one of the dealer techs. We had the car up on a lift and were discussing the stock exhaust system.

He was adament that there is only 1 cat on the car and that the canister to the left is also a resonator. He pointed out that a CAT has to have at least 1 O2 sensor before or after to monitor emissions. Any truth to this? If so it seems like you could bolt some of the entire systems on without cutting where the first cat meets the flex pipe.
Strange. I have seen many references to there being two cats but I am not an expert. Here is the installation instuctions for the Alta cat-back clearly showing that they think there are two cats:
http://www.altaperformance.com/share.../ampext130.pdf

Old 02-07-2009, 05:13 PM
L8Apex
2nd Gear
Yes, there are two cats. One directly in the downpipe and one under the car.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:01 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm no expert on the R56 either (and only marginally better on the R53), but I also know from experience that MINI techs often don't know these cars as well as you would think...