Brake Pad and Front Rotor parts list?

Old 09-25-2014, 07:08 AM
indianajonesy
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Brake Pad and Front Rotor parts list?

I'm new here and new to doing work on mini/BMW, so cut me some slack. Planning to change the pads and Front rotors on the wife's countryman and want to know if there is anything special I should know about. I know about the wear sensors, but is there just one front and one rear? I read somewhere you need to rotate the rear pistons on the calipers as you retract them on the cooper...same for the countryman?

If someone has a parts and tools list, that'd be awesome as well as any countryman specific tips.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:35 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
No special tricks except you do need to screw the rear pistons back in. The harbor freight tool kit works great for that. You will also need a T50 torx to remove the rotors.

You will need to replace the sensors
http://www.waymotorworks.com/brake-p...r-r60-r61.html

Brake Pads
http://www.waymotorworks.com/ebc-red...rake-pads.html

Rotors
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-cou...ke-rotors.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-25-2014, 07:39 AM
indianajonesy
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok, thanks! That's what I had surmised, but there is little data on the countryman setup specifically. Thanks for the info on the t50...hadn't seen that anywhere else.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you still need to replace the sensors if you're changing brakes early?

Old 11-03-2014, 09:41 PM
SC R60
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grizld700
Do you still need to replace the sensors if you're changing brakes early?
From Way Motoring's website :
"The 2011+ R60 R61 MINI Countryman and Paceman, S, and ALL4 S all have smart brake pad sensors. These brake pad sensors are located on the left front and right rear. As the brakes wear these sensors also wear and tell the computer when the pads are worn half way and then worn out. Anytime you replace the pads you'll need to replace the sensor."

You wouldn't HAVE to replace the sensors, but... Since the sensors wear with the brake pads, yours will have X amount of miles of wear on them when you put new pads on. It will be that X many miles sooner when the brake pad wear warnings start glaring at you from the tachometer.

It's only $50 or so for the 2 sensors. Be that as it may, I believe I will investigate removing the sensors from the calipers during my next tire rotation. I am a reasonably competent mechanic. I can inspect my brake pads for wear. I'll see if I can spend that $50 on a better tool

Last edited by SC R60; 11-03-2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 11-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Al-Hajj Jameel Ibn Dawood
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replacing Rear Rotors and Pads

I'm pending a brake job on the rear for a 2008 Clubman S. The Bentley manual stipulates that in addition to the expected parts you've listed below, that the self-locking bolts for the pad carrier as well as the caliper should be replaced. Is this necessary? It's not the parts which are expensive, but it's hard to justfiy spending as much in shipping as the 8 bolts needed...

Hex bolt with washer M10X32 (These appear to be the caliper mounting bolts)

Hex bolt (These appear to be the pad carrier bolts)

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
No special tricks except you do need to screw the rear pistons back in. The harbor freight tool kit works great for that. You will also need a T50 torx to remove the rotors.

You will need to replace the sensors
http://www.waymotorworks.com/brake-p...r-r60-r61.html

Brake Pads
http://www.waymotorworks.com/ebc-red...rake-pads.html

Rotors
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-cou...ke-rotors.html

Old 11-04-2014, 07:18 PM
SC R60
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Al-Hajj Jameel Ibn Dawood
Bentley manual stipulates that in addition to the expected parts you've listed below, that the self-locking bolts for the pad carrier as well as the caliper should be replaced. Is this necessary?
Self locking might mean they have a patch of thread locking material on the bolt or it might be the specialty kind where the bolt threads deform when the bolt is installed to get the locking effect. The thread deforming kind I would consider replacing, but I have never seen those in a brake system.
I personally wouldn't buy new bolts. Manufacturers in my experience use torque to retain bolts, not thread lock patches or deforming threads(those increase their costs). If the bolts come out good and look good, I would reuse them. You could use medium blue loctite on the bolts for peace of mind.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:18 PM
NCapurata
1st Gear
Hi guys,
Would any of you be able to provide the following information regarding the 2013 Countryman All4S:

Front rotor - minimum measurement before replacement:
Front brake pads - minimum measurement before replacement:

The vehicle currently has 35,000+ miles on it.
The automated maintenance system stated that the front brakes/rotors needed to be replaced back at 20,000 miles. When the vehicle was taken in for service, the techs reset the maintenance alert without changing the rotors/pads because they had not reached their limit to be replaced (incorrect recommendation/calculation by the automated system) Over the last 5,000 miles, it feels as if it takes longer to stop, and you have to press on the brake pedal with more force to actually get some efficient braking. The car was in for an oil change today, and they supposedly checked out the brakes but found them to be OK. When I asked what the measurements were for the front rotors/brakes they said that they were still good, but didn't seem as if they had gathered the information.
The automated maintenance shows brake change due in 3,200 miles, but by then the change will be out of pocket. I want to make sure that the automated system is not accidently providing the incorrect information this time either.
I did some searching, but could not find the requirements.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I seem to recall the SA telling me 4mm on the pads, my memory is suspect so lets see if someone has better info. Mine were replaced by my mechanic @ 29700 miles, which was about what the Mini computer was telling us. It became obvious to me because they started to squeal a lot. Since I didn't drive the first 24K miles on the car I have no idea how the brakes were treated previously. As for the rotors, my mechanic told me he was going to turn them, but after 10 seconds looking at them he agreed with me that they were toast. Many rotors have the min thickness stamped on them, not sure if Mini does or not.

If you get stuck paying, go buy rotors, pads & sensors online. Only cost $200 for high quality parts for my fronts.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:35 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Minimum thickness is cast on the edge of the disc 'bell' on all R56 discs so I bet the R60 are the same if you take a wheel off. Of course, it's measured in them milly meters....

Attached Thumbnails Brake Pad and Front Rotor parts list?-disc-thick.jpg  
Old 09-13-2021, 03:41 PM
J_Westy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NCapurata
Hi guys,
Front brake pads - minimum measurement before replacement:
Old post, but I couldn't sleuth the answer.

My warning message is on and I have about 5mm left. Can I wait until spring?

Old 09-13-2021, 05:40 PM
Mini-Titan
4th Gear
Received 133 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Westy
Old post, but I couldn't sleuth the answer.

My warning message is on and I have about 5mm left. Can I wait until spring?
Of course, it depends. How much do you drive? How hard do you brake? What do you mean by "spring"? Do you care if you score your rotors and can't stop as well? If you're going to replace your rotors anyway, maybe it doesn't matter as much to you if you get down to metal-on-metal.

Not everyone likes to work on the car, or doesn't have the space and/or time. I did mine myself, and upgraded to slotted rotors with ceramic pads. Stops better, no more squeals/squeaks, and much less dust. On sale, I spent less than 300 to do all 4.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:59 AM
J_Westy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini-Titan
Of course, it depends. How much do you drive? How hard do you brake? What do you mean by "spring"? Do you care if you score your rotors and can't stop as well?
Fair enough.

Rough math says maybe 6000 miles per mm of pad, so I guess I'll do it in the next month so I don't get stuck doing it in the winter...

I'm thinking Zimmerman rotors and EBC Greenstuff pads unless anyone says that's dum.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:03 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I found the EBC red to be less dust then greens ..... plain road use ....

Old 09-14-2021, 08:57 AM
Mini-Titan
4th Gear
Fair enough.

Rough math says maybe 6000 miles per mm of pad, so I guess I'll do it in the next month so I don't get stuck doing it in the winter...

I'm thinking Zimmerman rotors and EBC Greenstuff pads unless anyone says that's dum.
That's what I would do before it gets cold! I've read Greenstuff and Redstuff pads are both good. I don't know what is best for you. All I can say is when I went to ceramic, the dust problem was solved!

The following users liked this post:
J_Westy (09-14-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 06:03 PM
J_Westy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
I found the EBC red to be less dust then greens ..... plain road use ....
Finally got to the R&R this weekend and went with Red Stuff. I got the pads from Mini Mania and the rest from FCP Euro (because they have free shipping)

Only hiccup was that I had to run out for an E16 (External Torx) socket for the rear caliper brackets

So far, so good

Old 10-24-2021, 07:00 PM
Mini-Titan
4th Gear
Only hiccup was that I had to run out for an E16 (External Torx) socket for the rear caliper brackets
You aren't alone with that hiccup!