Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

200 WHP is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 11:16 AM
ahamos
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyriian
i remember one of the sponsors i think it was mini pilo that said the mini's engine cannot be bored due to space problems...

140-150 hp.. u really need to do EVERYTHING imaginable to achieve that... even then.. i'd think probably a CAI, Full STRAIGHT exhaust, fully done head, tb, cams, chip... i think you should get 140-150 hp
I agree, but only if you're talking WHP. For 140 BHP, an intake, coil-pack, exhaust, and quality ECU should get you there. For 150, replace the header, cam, TB, find some custom injectors, and prepare to replace your engine in about 75K miles.

To put that much to the wheels, do all of the above, ditch everything that isn't necessary, lighten the rest, drive down-hill and get ready for new pistons in less than 50K miles.

To be fair, the Cooper is not about HP. The Cooper is about doing more with less. You can get a Cooper down to about 1400lbs, generating 140 or 150 BHP, and maybe putting 135 on the street. That puts you right at the magic 10:1 ratio that's so important in performance cars. Heck, you could probably get down to 1200lbs and up to 160BHP if you really try. That car would be a monster.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:55 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
ADMINISTRATOR: Please close this thread. I have been talked out of my original goal and further discussion is Irrelevant.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:53 AM
ahamos
Originally Posted by DrDiff
ADMINISTRATOR: Please close this thread. I have been talked out of my original goal and further discussion is Irrelevant.
But others might not be. Some day some bold adventurer might just take and bore out a Cooper engine, run it with 114 octane race-fuel, install at least 25 different widgets, and achieve 200WHP. When that day comes, he/she should be able to proudly open this thread and proclaim him-/her- self King (or Queen) of the Coopers!

I, for one, still think it would kick some serious butt to lighten the car and drop in a rotary engine. That would most likely put 200 to the street, even if the torque is still a little off. It would be a beastly autocross and track car (1300lbs / 238BHP = 5.46lb/HP).

Old 10-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Ranzo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ahamos
I agree, but only if you're talking WHP. For 140 BHP, an intake, coil-pack, exhaust, and quality ECU should get you there. For 150, replace the header, cam, TB, find some custom injectors, and prepare to replace your engine in about 75K miles.
I was planning to get the Madness Stage 3 Power Package next year.

http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=148

and the Madness Stage 1 Drivetrain Package.

http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=78

So your saying if I get all these mods for the Cooper, I'm going to have to replace my engine after 75 miles? Yikes!

In my other thread...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=52767

Peeps tell me it just depends on my driving style and oil maintenance. Madness claim these mods wouldn't effect the Coopers reliability. But just in case, I was going to get an oil catch can and an oil cooling system to go with it.

What are your thoughts on these packages? I thought Madness would know there stuff...

Thanks!

Randy

Old 10-28-2005, 09:44 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm inclined to believe that Ahamos is exaggerating a bit. 155 hp will not put ridiculous amounts of stress on the motor, and I'm pretty sure the pistons would hold up for longer than 75k miles. Ask around, but I wouldn't base my decision on that, because that is really just speculation. I've never seen a Cooper motor fail from performance mods- maybe with a turbo added, but not with standard stuff.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:57 AM
ahamos
Originally Posted by ingsoc
I'm inclined to believe that Ahamos is exaggerating a bit. 155 hp will not put ridiculous amounts of stress on the motor, and I'm pretty sure the pistons would hold up for longer than 75k miles. Ask around, but I wouldn't base my decision on that, because that is really just speculation. I've never seen a Cooper motor fail from performance mods- maybe with a turbo added, but not with standard stuff.
I'm making my estimations based on the differences in manufacturing process between the Cooper and the S. Almost everything on the S engine is forged, whereas almost everything in the Cooper engine is cast (I wish I had my Bentley manual beside me right now). Consider the higher compression ratio, too, and how that affects cast components. Replace your cast pistons with forged pistons and you might strain a little more life out of it, but let's just say I would never consider buying your used Stage 27 Cooper.

We're already seeing S owners blowing engines when they double their base horsepower, and to put 200 on the street, you're looking at doing the same to your Cooper.

Yes, it is all speculation, but until someone has a 200WHP Cooper and tests it extensively (50K+ miles), I'm going to be extremely skeptical. Since that's not going to happen any time soon...

I forgot to add: chances are, if you've achieved even 150BHP, you're not going to drive it around like a grandma. You're most likely going to be Honda-hunting.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:51 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it is all speculation, but until someone has a 200WHP Cooper and tests it extensively (50K+ miles), I'm going to be extremely skeptical. Since that's not going to happen any time soon...
Agreed. 200 will likely be stressful for the engine. I was referring specifically to the 155 hp kit that was mentioned. There are no 200 whp kits...

Old 10-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Ranzo
4th Gear
I'm making my estimations based on the differences in manufacturing process between the Cooper and the S. Almost everything on the S engine is forged, whereas almost everything in the Cooper engine is cast (I wish I had my Bentley manual beside me right now). Consider the higher compression ratio, too, and how that affects cast components. Replace your cast pistons with forged pistons and you might strain a little more life out of it, but let's just say I would never consider buying your used Stage 27 Cooper.

We're already seeing S owners blowing engines when they double their base horsepower, and to put 200 on the street, you're looking at doing the same to your Cooper.

I forgot to add: chances are, if you've achieved even 150BHP, you're not going to drive it around like a grandma. You're most likely going to be Honda-hunting.
Well I don't bag my car on a regular basis. Only if taunted by a Ricer maybe hehehe...

So what do you think about my planned mods? Extra 40 ponies too much for the Cooper to handle even with performance oil, oil cooler and catch can?

I plan to keep the car as long as I can so selling it would probably be... well I think I'm going to drive it till it dies like my late 87 Camry .

Old 10-30-2005, 08:45 AM
ahamos
Originally Posted by Ranzo
Well I don't bag my car on a regular basis. Only if taunted by a Ricer maybe hehehe...

So what do you think about my planned mods? Extra 40 ponies too much for the Cooper to handle even with performance oil, oil cooler and catch can?

I plan to keep the car as long as I can so selling it would probably be... well I think I'm going to drive it till it dies like my late 87 Camry .
Given your last statement, go for it! I never intend to sell my Cooper, either. I'd love to drive mine to death, then turn it into a dedicated race car.

I don't think 40 extra horsepower will necessarily be to much, it will just depend (as mentioned) on your driving style. One thing you need to watch out for is your transmission. I got a new one at 22.5K miles, and wasn't even abusing it. I've heard the same thing over and over: Cooper transmissions are just not meant to do beefy work, and shoving an extra 40 HP through it might seriously chew it up.

I know I've read before that the Midlands transmission is actually rated for the power of the S, and that BMW only went with the Getrag because of their business relationship with Getrag, but I really do think of the Midlands unit as a modern-day example of British ingenuity.

If you do go this route, keep us updated on your results.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:03 PM
boostedmini03
Neutral
I've got a turbo. i'm not near 200, and i'm bored with it. I'm thinking about doing either a b-series, or k-series honda swap.

i saw the b-series swap kit on mini mania. it looks pretty solid. putting a b18c into the mini... 8g redline. 170 hp. maybe put a turbo kit on it somewhere down the line. the thing would smoke man.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:47 AM
justintime
6th Gear
Old 09-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Ranzo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by boostedmini03
I've got a turbo. i'm not near 200, and i'm bored with it. I'm thinking about doing either a b-series, or k-series honda swap.

i saw the b-series swap kit on mini mania. it looks pretty solid. putting a b18c into the mini... 8g redline. 170 hp. maybe put a turbo kit on it somewhere down the line. the thing would smoke man.
Wait a minute, so do you have a classic Mini or the New Mini?

Old 09-13-2006, 07:53 PM
redfusion
2nd Gear
This would be interesting but I would go with the older 13B. You could get about 180bhp and a 9K rpm redline in a motor that would weigh less the the MC's 1.6. The rotory has more torque than the MCS so no worries

I think it's possible, and without any blowers. The answer lies in fabrication and patience and about $15000.

I know you're getting impatient, so here you go: lift the engine from an RX-8. 238BHP in 1.3L.

The lion's share of the money will go into making that engine work in a MINI, but you'd wind up with space left over.

Even you S drivers would have to admit: that would be one beast of a sleeper.