Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

R50 Cooper exhaust on R56?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:25 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking it's because the folks who want to performance-mod their cars mainly start with the "S" platform, so the "justa" market is smaller, meaning less money for development. It would be extremely easy for a competent muffler shop to fab up an exhaust, though. They can cut the OE exhaust and install a flange (so you can put the stocker back on), then fab a back end with a Borla or a louvered stainless glasspack, shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks. If only I had a muffler shop I'd do it myself!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 PM
PprWhtLove08
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DixonL2
I'm thinking it's because the folks who want to performance-mod their cars mainly start with the "S" platform, so the "justa" market is smaller, meaning less money for development. It would be extremely easy for a competent muffler shop to fab up an exhaust, though. They can cut the OE exhaust and install a flange (so you can put the stocker back on), then fab a back end with a Borla or a louvered stainless glasspack, shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks. If only I had a muffler shop I'd do it myself!
Yes, I know why they don't make one for us, exactly what you said above- because folks who want a performance car to mod and put 'fancy exhausts' on go and buy an S. But for those of us who don't have an extra 5 grand... I got a justa, and now that I'm ready to mod, it looks like the only viable option that doesn't cost an arm and a leg is the one you mentioned above haha but it'll be better than stock

Old 07-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't be down cause you got a Cooper instead. You have many options. Are they pre manufactured so that when they show up at your door you can put them on? Well no. There is nothing wrong with that because in reality you are going to be spending a bunch of money on R&R that eally isn't going to net you that much power. Of course the pre made oneswill hae sound clips and reviews that a custom exhaust won't but, really that is not that big of a deal. I say go find a muffler, fart can, straight pipe, or bean can and have a shop custome make you an exhaust. just remember less bends and no more then 2.5in on the piping and you will have a one of product that you can show off to all the non modded Coopers. Btw do they make a header yet for you guys? Oh you can always get a S bumper and put an S exhaust on your car I pretty sure it will fit with some minor alterations.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:06 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Don't be down cause you got a Cooper instead. You have many options. Are they pre manufactured so that when they show up at your door you can put them on? Well no. There is nothing wrong with that because in reality you are going to be spending a bunch of money on R&R that eally isn't going to net you that much power. Of course the pre made oneswill hae sound clips and reviews that a custom exhaust won't but, really that is not that big of a deal. I say go find a muffler, fart can, straight pipe, or bean can and have a shop custome make you an exhaust. just remember less bends and no more then 2.5in on the piping and you will have a one of product that you can show off to all the non modded Coopers. Btw do they make a header yet for you guys? Oh you can always get a S bumper and put an S exhaust on your car I pretty sure it will fit with some minor alterations.
EXACTLY! Only do this: Find yourself a good exhaust shop. To do so, get thee down to your local weekly car show and ACTUALLY TALK TO REAL PEOPLE. Find some of the better local 'rods and ask where they had their exhausts fabbed up, then go there. (No, not to the local Midas and their 19 year-olds who'd just LOVE to take a welder to your car, unless they're a really GOOD Midas who does custom work!). Yes, the Big Boys may snicker a bit when your car rolls in with 1/4 the displacement of what they're used to seeing, but you've got a wallet too, and a car "jones", and they'll appreciate that. Tell them what you're going for - perhaps a lower tone and a bit of an "edge". Give them your budget - $500 should go a LONG way, or ask them what it'd cost. Likely they'll be able to add a flange mid-stream, simply take your stocker off, and fab you up a back section out of stainless and a Borla, with a nice Stainless tip, and you'll be good to go. Heck, have them add a flange to your stocker too, and you can swap 'em out for long trips or winter, when you'd appreciate a little peace and quiet.

That's what I'd do.

Or, if you're REALLY creative, get a used stock exhaust, cut out the stock muffler, clamp in a GOOD performance muffler (not a Pep Boys special or you'll sound like a fart), add a tip and off ya go.

Be creative!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:35 PM
miata_racer
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^on this idea...I made a dump pipe...seemed to help a bit on throttle response...but not much else LOL...and the stock exhaust diameter is...wait... 1 5/8" pipe....yep...that's it LOL

so it looks like it's a custom job coming

Old 08-04-2011, 06:14 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Just be careful - tried a 2.5" pipe on the MCS (R53 though) and the resonance was horrible. Going too big is bad too! I'm thinking 2.25", but there are restrictions upstream at the collector/"headers" that will mainly negate downstream frippery.