Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

How do I install a mini grille badge holder?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:53 AM
YourBoyRay
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I install a mini grille badge holder?

So I bought a rear badge holder and badges from cooper flags and some badges, but now i want the mini grille badge holder for the front and went to robrobinette's web site which shows step by step how to do it but the only thing i'm holding back on is the drilling of holes to my grille. Is there any way to install this without drilling holes on the grille or another badge holder that doesn't require you too? I have a new 09' R56 MC model and i noticed that the there are two badge holder that look a bit different. the one from the dealer ship and the one from outmotoring.com which is the one requiring to drill a hole. Do you have to drill a hole with the one from the dealership that looks different instead of outmotorings design on the holder? Or can i install it between the empty space between each of the rails on the grille? Also, are the holes noticeable the day i want to remove the badge holder on the grille? Thanks need help.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:41 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is my write-up on installing the outmotoring.com badge holders (really about how to get the grille off). This is for an MCS grille, but I would assume the removal is similar for the MC grille. My understanding is that the screws would go through the slits on an MC, so I don't think any drilling would be required. Hopefully an MC owner that has done it can chime in.

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2009, 02:47 PM
YourBoyRay
2nd Gear
Thank you jcauseyfd. Now I know there must be other who might help me on the other questions I have. I mean there are doze of threads on the badges and many who have badgeholders with pictures on here that could help for a fact. Please any input from experience in installing these could really help me. Also, does the local dealer install these for you and how much?

Old 08-24-2009, 06:51 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
It is not that hard, jcauseyfd write up is very good and the procedure is the same on your Mini. The four connections at the top are very easy. The bottom seems scary but just start at one end - The clips are inverted Vs and the object is to squeeze the V together while gentlely pulling of the grille away from the car. After the first clip comes out the rest become easier.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 PM
YourBoyRay
2nd Gear
I totally understand the removing the grille and have removed it once and placed it back just to practice (i'm weird don't ask). Its the installing the holder thats the big thing for me. I'm trying to find out if i have to drill a hole in my grille and there are two different types of badge holder and wanted to know if both require to make a hole in my grille (i kinda don't want to in case i get sick of it one day and want to take it off the grille an don't want hole in it or buy another grille) This is my dilemma that I need help with.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:04 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
I have the outmotoring badge holder onto my R55, and did not have to drill holes in my grille. It will work w/out drilling. I think I mounted it with the screws vertical vs horizontal.

Not the best picture for illustration but I had it handy.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:27 PM
YourBoyRay
2nd Gear
Thanks Carman63 but is your a MC or MCS and is the grill the honeycomb grill that comes standard with the MCS models? Just wanna get an idea, since I have a R56 MC and not an S model, with the standard grille for the MC. Is there enough space between the grille rails to push the screws in without drilling or scraching the crome look? Sorry for all the questions everyone. I just don't want to invest in something that won't pay out to my liking. Thanks all.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:17 AM
YourBoyRay
2nd Gear
I finally got to install it myself. There is no need to drill holes in your grille if you have an 09' model. I removed the grille one more time and discovered that i over looked the fact that the left side of my grille's backing had two sets of ready made holes from the factory....yes, the grille for 09' MC come with the holes (only on the driver's side only), factory made for the badge holder to fit. Installation is easy, but the outmotoring.com's badge holder's back plate needs to be resized, it doesn't fit the back of the grille properly. Also 2 inch screws are needed not 1.5" screws (website is wrong!)

Old 09-05-2009, 05:55 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Thanks for the update on your experience YourBoyRay. Have you passed that info on to OutMotoring.com?

Old 09-07-2009, 01:21 PM
YourBoyRay
2nd Gear
yes the rep. i spoke to over the phone and he was surprised, but didn't say anything else. I think Mini is now making them with the two set of holes already made into the grilles, everyone should spread the news. Also, its so easy to install and removing the grille is fast. i timed it and it was 2 min and 47 seconds to removed, pretty much in 5 min. your all done.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 AM
*Giovanni*
1st Gear
Thanks Ray! I have the exact same concerns & questions, but your thread answers them for me!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Nice job, Ray! I have an '08 MC and I didn't see those pre-made holes in the original grille on mine. The 1 1/2" bolts did not work either - they just wouldn't reach through. But since I bought the JCW grille, mounting with these same bolts to the JCW was a breeze.

Honestly, I had the worst time getting the grille back on. I must have had a mental lapse when I took it off and just could not figure out how to get the JCW on. I can't even explain what I was "trying" to do to get it on, but in the end a five year old could have done it. It just snaps in...

I'm much happier with the looks of the JCW anyway. Any pics of your badge, Ray?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:42 AM
YourBoyRay
2nd Gear
sure here you go

Attached Thumbnails How do I install a mini grille badge holder?-015.jpg  
Old 08-14-2011, 04:08 PM
scooper4711
Neutral
Thanks for the writeup!

Thanks for the write-up! I can mention that on my '10 mini S it's easier to loosen the bottom half of the grille by removing the chrome along the bottom of the grill. Then little levers (which squeeze the tabs you mention in your write-up) are clearly visible and easy to squeeze.

I didn't notice any pre-drilled holes in my grill, but then most of it was open anyway. Just blocked off on either side.