Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

MC Megan exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:01 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm. My R50 gets about 42 highway at 65 or less mph on flat ground with a K&N cone filter and the Megan exhaust. But I only average about 26 - 27 mpg because Im, er, kinda heavy-footed.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Well before I got the DDM intake I was getting 30 -32 everywhere. Since I changed from the K&N panel filter. My mileage has gone down to 28-29. But the weather also has gotten cooler. Now I do have nice acceleration and it is a whole more peppy plus it does sound nice with the megan

Old 12-24-2009, 08:47 PM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
Seems like some dealers are getting the Megan back in stock this coming week. At least thats what im hearing. I may have one on Abby by the end of the month!

Old 12-24-2009, 09:51 PM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't wait to install my custom exhaust coming up! I want to rival the megan in sound but we will see...

Old 12-25-2009, 09:25 AM
JohnnyVillan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anybody else having vibration issues with their Megan? Mine is vibrating like MAD @ idle.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:26 PM
jbkoopa
3rd Gear
nope. ive never had any vibrating issues with my megan.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:38 PM
JohnnyVillan
4th Gear
The worst part is, I cant tell whats vibrating. It doesnt sound like its IN the exhaust, it sounds more like a hanger or the heat shield but it only does it after the car is warmed up so everything is too damn hot to feel around under there for anything loose.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:52 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Hey Johnny, go get some silicone kitchen gloves at the store and wear them to try and find the issue when it's hot. When it's cold check all the nuts and bolts again make sure they are still tight.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Fritzoc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Funny.... just mentioned in another thread I have that set up. I believe there are about half a dozen other R50 owners here on NAM that have that combo.

Each of them alone makes for a nice, throaty sound. Put them together...

Not sure about the AFE, but IMO, it would be hard to beat the DDM

CAI.
This is the combo I have. LOVE it! all my "S" and "JCW" friends love the sound of my car. Had a heavily modified 911 turbo compliment the sound of my car at a traffic light. Then he lit me up on the green light

Old 12-29-2009, 06:17 PM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Hey fritz, if you haven't sold your R50 yet, mind if I hear the megan in person? I wanna live clip before I buy it, if you don't mind.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 PM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
GOT MINE ON!! Sorry i didnt post sooner but i have been too busy enjoying my burble

Old 01-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Aquasar
6th Gear
I just had a nice drive on saturday of 480 miles. I just love the sound, plus Helenblitz is coming up looking forward to that drive also!

Old 02-06-2010, 03:45 AM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Still debating the megan. The sound just makes me think of what a muscle car would sound like if it had been built by the japanese.
I'd like to get a Scorpion or even a Remus but they're $499. Hmm....

The megan does sound nice though. Muscle MINI! Has some good burble too.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:45 AM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
Mine has a really bad rattle now. Any tips?

Old 02-06-2010, 11:14 AM
JohnnyVillan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AggieMini11
Mine has a really bad rattle now. Any tips?
Mine does it too

Havent been able to figure out why but I've been kinda busy with other things on my car to figure it out.

Mine vibrates at idle. Its not so bad when the A/C is off but when I turn it on it goes crazy.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:00 AM
803R50
3rd Gear
Did either of you, Johhny or Aggie, every find out what the cause of the rattle might be? I just ordered mine and the ddm intake, figured I would get a heads up as to what the problem is.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyVillan
Mine does it too

Havent been able to figure out why but I've been kinda busy with other things on my car to figure it out.

Mine vibrates at idle. Its not so bad when the A/C is off but when I turn it on it goes crazy.
I had the Megan on my R50 for about a year and it had developed a rattle that I could not track down. After removing it, it appeared that the top of the muffler had been rubbing on the heat shield above....or sand/gravel had collected on top between the muffler and heat shield. This was evidenced by the scuffing on top of the muffler. The exhaust was pretty high quality, IMO...but I never was able to get it adjusted quite right to keep it from rattling...or perfectly centered in the valance exhaust cutout. I tried shimming down the hangers with washers, but that did not help. Because I couldn't get rid of the rattle and the drone was starting to get on my nerves, I took it off and sold it.

It really did sound great ....but a trip I took half way across the country pulling a motorcycle on a trailer cured me of the need for a loud exhaust. 36hrs of constant droning along on the interstate and I was done with it.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Atr3yu Baykor
1st Gear
I just put mine in over the weekend. Sounds sexy! One question though, is it normal to smell a "burning" smell? I never had it prior so I am thinking it might just be something burning off since it's brand new. Anyone else have this?

Old 03-31-2010, 04:01 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Probably just some oils and or grease from the install as long as it's not actually touching something somewhere..

I've had mine on a cabrio for almost 3 years now.. Did have a bad rattle from the last straight section touching where all the cabrio bracing comes together. Spaced that down with a couple of bolt nuts and it was fixed.

Some have mentioned a rattle by the canister and I put a piece of old garden hose between it and the bottom of the car where the OEM hangers don't let it drop down enough and it contacts the heat shield..

I know a new piece should fit correctly but mine didn't either, but I liked it enough to handle the problems..

Old 03-31-2010, 01:27 PM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
Mine stopped. It was just during the cold. Maybe there was some dirt or rocks trapped up there and fell out. Anyway, it stopped and I am back to normal. This thing is the best mod ever. I love it every time i touch my accelerator!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 AM
803R50
3rd Gear
Fitment, and thoughts

I just got mine in last week and installed it this past Friday. There is hardly any room between the muffler and the heat shield, but I will be putting some heat resistant rubber between the two to prevent future problems.

When I first started it up I was really happy with the sound, however after a few days of driving things change. These mufflers and resonator seem to be glass-pack (I may be wrong), that’s what the burning smell is, especially if it smells like burnt sugar. That being said like all exhaust it gets louder as it heats up, but if these are glass-pack they will eventually get even louder as the fiberglass melts over time. Not terribly louder but you will be able to tell, add that in with a open intake like DDM (mine is on its way) and it will get even more boisterous...well sorta.

This all being said I do love the sound it has a very deep grumble to it, which is exactly what I was looking for. It doesn't make people sniff the air and say "I smell rice", which in my area is a good thing. The only drawback in my opinion is that it is a bit loud, not because it’s so high pitched or anything but the sound is so low it really resonates through the car and outside. I am a young guy, almost 22, and even for me it is a bit too much for me. I wanted the Borla because this and Borla seem to be very similar except the Borla isn’t as loud, but for the price difference the Megan is more value I think. I paid $250 shipped for this exhaust, hell of a deal, and that is why I am satisfied with this over the Borla. I just don't think $300+ more for the Borla is worth it, but maybe one day ill sell it and get the Borla , only time will tell. Over all it is a fantastic exhaust, looks great, sounds great, high quality, and good value. Just thought I would give both sides a chance.

…Wow I actually got on here to ask a question about the fitment of the exhaust but ended up writing this long review...sorry

My question was: Has anyone had the problem of the flanges not lining up exactly? One pipe is more twisted than the other basically, and the two ovals don’t line up exactly. It isn't a problem and won’t cause problems but I was curious if anyone else had the same problem.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Hip Check
2nd Gear
I had vibration issues with mine. One day of tracking the car and one of the bolts in the back was sheared off and had to be replaced.

The real vibration problem came when I installed the motor mount bushing. It vibrated terribly at idle and wound up destroying the OEM exhaust hangers in the back. I took it to an exhaust shop and had custom hangers made. I also took off the motor mount bushing.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Vincent Hill
1st Gear
Right now we have the very loud in the cabin MagnaFlow!! Does anyone know how the Megan for a Cooper s compares?? We want remove that Resonance we hear.

BTW, I joined this forum back in 2005 or 2006 and just noticed it shows 2009!

Last edited by Vincent Hill; 05-04-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:35 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
I have a Megan. While I can certainly hear it during acceleration (moreso with the windows open), and is also slightly audible on the highway, it doesnt drone, and is not obnoxious, at least to me. I cant compare it directly to a Magnaflow, though.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Vincent Hill
1st Gear
Thanks Eric, that is what I was looking for. I ended up with "4" Mufflers under my car and it is Still way too loud! I have the Headers where I relocated the first Bung for the Oxygen Sensor to the 4-1 Collector and using 2 threaded rods held the 2nd section together and cut out the pre muffler and fitted a 300 hole Catalytic Converter!

Now, all I want is QUIET!! (And good Looks!) I would Never buy a MagnaFlow Anything! I saw Borla Mentioned? I Know they are More Expensive, but I spent a Huge amount of Time and money buying 2 long Resonators & 1 Glass Pack along with Header wrap and it "Still" Droned us out of our car. We ride Motorcycles and have a fairly Loud Porsche 911 and never heard so much Droaning at Cruise Speed,

What is the Quietest cat back system out there??

Quick Reply: MC Megan exhaust