Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Driving lights on lower grill

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:15 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Driving lights on lower grill

Does anyone know if it would would be possible to mount hella 500s on the lower grill of the R56 non S? What I want to do is skip the brackets and see if I can litterally mount it to the grill. I want to use 2 total, both on the extreme ends and in the plastic area that is blocked (so it wont affect airflow and will be in a stronger section of plastic)

I saw someone on here that has theirs actually mounted to the upper grill with some braces on the back. I'm wondering if I brace the back of the grill with some metal and have the lights mounted to that, could that be enough? It seems the 500s are actually very light, but I just don't know what would happen if hard bumps were hit

Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may figure out a way to mount them but without a good bracket they will be pretty bouncy. Your way may work but you better make it really secure. And remember you need to allow space for adjusting too. Will the 500s fit cleanly in that space?
Have you seen the MINI with the really small lights mounted in that area? They work pretty well if you find the 500's to be too large.

Attached Thumbnails Driving lights on lower grill-drivinglight-example.jpg  
Old 07-14-2008, 10:03 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jw34
You may figure out a way to mount them but without a good bracket they will be pretty bouncy. Your way may work but you better make it really secure. And remember you need to allow space for adjusting too. Will the 500s fit cleanly in that space?
Have you seen the MINI with the really small lights mounted in that area? They work pretty well if you find the 500's to be too large.
If I can get the light attached pretty secure to the grill, my worries is if the weight of the lights would move the whole grill piece around over bumps. I guess the lights don't weight that much really do they? I guess I just wonder why lights always need metal brackets attached to the frame ( I understand for rigity, but I don't want to take the whole front bumper off to install my lights)

I'm not 100% sure yet if the 500s will fit. My ideal is the 550s because I like the look when I did a photoshop mockup. The square lights add a nice look and would fit well, but they cost more than what I can get 500s or 500FFs for (at walmart 500s and the 500FFs are like $60 for the pair with covers and install kit)

Old 07-14-2008, 10:16 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Originally Posted by checkercoop
If my worries is if the weight of the lights would move the whole grill piece around over bumps. I guess the lights don't weight that much really do they? I guess I just wonder why lights always need metal brackets attached to the frame ( I understand for rigity, but I don't want to take the whole front bumper off to install my lights)
That might be the problem. I wouldn't really trust that grill for much in the way of mounting. You're right, the good mount is all about rigidity. (Man did that sound strange to write!)

Old 07-18-2008, 11:50 AM
ADAM244
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jw34
That might be the problem. I wouldn't really trust that grill for much in the way of mounting. You're right, the good mount is all about rigidity. (Man did that sound strange to write!)
Haha, thats great. But you really have to take the front bumper off to install something like the Palo Uber light bar? Because I was looking into mounting one of those on my '04 mc with four hella 500's.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:10 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAM244
Haha, thats great. But you really have to take the front bumper off to install something like the Palo Uber light bar? Because I was looking into mounting one of those on my '04 mc with four hella 500's.
Yeah unfortunately any mount (especially the bar) needs the bumper to be removed in order to get to the frame that it bolts onto. Thats the reason I was hoping I could use the grill, but know I will just wait till a later time when I feel like removing the bumper and buying some brackets

Old 07-18-2008, 09:26 PM
ADAM244
1st Gear
Originally Posted by checkercoop
Yeah unfortunately any mount (especially the bar) needs the bumper to be removed in order to get to the frame that it bolts onto. Thats the reason I was hoping I could use the grill, but know I will just wait till a later time when I feel like removing the bumper and buying some brackets
That sucks. But yeah, the extra trouble of taking the bumper off would probably be the better way to go.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I had a set a on my 03 S, and when MINI was testing here, I stopped and talked to them about the new models they were testing (the new r56). He asked if I had any cooling problems with the lights on the lower grill. I said no. He said that he wouldn't do that on the R56 - He was in-charge of the cooling design! Maybe something changed since then...... but makes me wonder when the designer of the cooling system says its not a good idea.

Nik

Old 07-18-2008, 09:52 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by xsmini
I had a set a on my 03 S, and when MINI was testing here, I stopped and talked to them about the new models they were testing (the new r56). He asked if I had any cooling problems with the lights on the lower grill. I said no. He said that he wouldn't do that on the R56 - He was in-charge of the cooling design! Maybe something changed since then...... but makes me wonder when the designer of the cooling system says its not a good idea.

Nik
Yeah what I plan on doing is making my own type of mount that can go through the outer edge of the lower grill that is already blocked off. That way the lights wont even be in a place that can block air

Old 07-18-2008, 10:32 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Ahh Cool, I just you said non s too, I didn't get a chance to ask the guy about the non s's.

Nik

Old 08-28-2008, 04:25 AM
pw4
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Hella 1000s ready-made brackets

After lots of searching around, I bought mounting brackets from Out Motoring to mount Hella 1000s on. Their web page has pictures of the same lights on their project car. The lights mount in frunt of the bumper, which is good for airflow but leaves them rather unprotected. (I just make sure I never park where someone can hit the front of my car.) Also, the lights can be adjusted to sit back against the bumper, so some rubber and glue make it easy to stop any vibration.
My suggestion: don't even think about mounting lights on plastic. You'll get far too much vibration, which is hard to look at and, I've heard, shortens the globe life too.
The Out Motoring brackets are really solid and come with great instructions. Found out the hard way that Australian spec Coopers have a different bumper structure behind the plastic, but got them to work anyway. Great lights, huge spread (which is what I wanted), good price and fairly light weight.