Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

what's there to get for the MC?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:49 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what's there to get for the MC?????

K so i have been looking for upgrades for my automatic 07 MC and have been really disappointed because all i found were aesthetic upgrades. you know the usual stubby antennae, black out kits, wheels, etc. does any one know any engine mods out there for the MC?

Old 02-27-2008, 09:50 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Yes.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
such as??

Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 PM
danielo
4th Gear
check out Alta Performance

Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I suspect that the situation is very similar to the 1st gen Cooper: there won't be not much extra power to be gained from the engine. The most effective gain would probably come from an ECU tune, but I haven't seen one offered for the R56 Cooper. The other usual engine mods such as upgrading the exhaust or intake have minimal effect without a turbo or super charger.

If you want to go faster in your Cooper (whether 1st or 2nd gen), your best bet is to improve the handling through suspension mods.

Originally Posted by danielo
check out Alta Performance
Under R56 Cooper, Alta lists a Unichip ECU, but the description says it is for the R56 S. They also list an Oil Catch Can for the R56 Cooper

Old 02-28-2008, 04:26 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You the only things that we can really get are intakes, exhaust, ECU tunes

I'm planning on getting the K&N Apollo intake (its like a cold air, but instead of needing a heat shield, it cools the air through the unit)
Also minspeed.net has some good products

I say more of what we'll get for our cars that will really show a difference is suspension like ^^^rkw^^^ said

Old 02-28-2008, 05:02 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
No need for the , friend, as Coopers come pretty well tuned from the factory. It's always been this way, so motor proud!! Light wheels, a few suspension tweaks, performance driving school, and learning to exploit that automatic are good places to start. MCS and up (JCW) are more about the power part of the equation.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Ords
6th Gear
Without making a smartass comment myself, the best upgrade to get; Drivers Education, nothing beats learning how to drive a car that's mean't to be driven. Speed means little if you can't handle it.

Suspension helps for sure, but once you start looking for more HP, you'll gain little while spending plenty.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:53 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My standard COOP has plenty of Kicka$$, If you are not satisfied ,trade it in on an S.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:29 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Originally Posted by corin.mcblide
K so i have been looking for upgrades for my automatic 07 MC and have been really disappointed because all i found were aesthetic upgrades. you know the usual stubby antennae, black out kits, wheels, etc. does any one know any engine mods out there for the MC?
Trade it for an S/
No seriously, theres plenty of things that can be done. They might be a bit unconventional and would definetly void warranty, but if you want power, tear that engine apart. Meaning, have a Profi build the shiz out of it. Port the heads larger valves etc. Bigger Cam, its engine building 1o1!!! Ya this forum doesnt talk about extremes but maybe they should....you want a fast car, take it to the speed shop. Drop 10 G. When my warranty is up, forget these simple bolt ons. Horse power isnt cheap, but easyily gained w/ $$$$$. PS I have an "ACTUAL SIZE" sticker forsale....I hear it makes the car more aerodynamic,KIDDING BRO I have an S and its not fast enough.

Last edited by matty125; 03-01-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:48 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
[quote\]
Under R56 Cooper, ALTA lists a PnP ECU, but the description says it is for the R56 S. They also list an Oil Catch Can for the R56 Cooper [/quote]

Sorry bout that! Has to do with the backend navigation. We are working on a few of the little wonky things right now!

For Cooper Std. owners we have a lot of suspension items, wheels, and other accessories. But performance won't be on our forefront for a bit. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Old 03-02-2008, 02:47 AM
merlin20000
Neutral
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
[quote\]
Under R56 Cooper, ALTA lists a PnP ECU, but the description says it is for the R56 S. They also list an Oil Catch Can for the R56 Cooper
Sorry bout that! Has to do with the backend navigation. We are working on a few of the little wonky things right now!

For Cooper Std. owners we have a lot of suspension items, wheels, and other accessories. But performance won't be on our forefront for a bit. Sorry for any inconvenience![/quote]

Thats ok we will find someone else to give our money

Dont worry guys we will soon have something and with an intake and chip we will get about 18-20hp more. realtively cheap.For me i dont think we need more, afterall if you want to make your cooper a beast go for an S and start modding.

The K&N filter will be my first mod and i am waiting for the bluefin upgrade.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:44 PM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
My recommendations:

K&N or AFe panel filter

Custom bent cat-back exhaust

High flow catalytic converter

Engine Damper and a crank pulley (if they make these for your car)

Other than that, suspension and brakes will do you just fine!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 AM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Originally Posted by merlin20000

For Cooper Std. owners we have a lot of suspension items, wheels, and other accessories. But performance won't be on our forefront for a bit. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Dont worry guys we will soon have something and with an intake and chip we will get about 18-20hp more. realtively cheap.For me i dont think we need more, afterall if you want to make your cooper a beast go for an S and start modding.

The K&N filter will be my first mod and i am waiting for the bluefin upgrade.[/QUOTE]

we? do you have a site? and what is the bluefin upgrade?

Old 04-15-2008, 10:58 AM
purplefenderman
1st Gear
I've done Driver's Education myself and advanced an entire class the first day from just paying attention and doing what the instructors tell you. I did it at Texas World Speedway, a really great track with 15 curves over 2 miles.

At first I was pretty slow with my little MC(manual) and fit right in with the Greens.

After listening and paying attention and learning the lines, I was passing: mustangs, one corvette, a porsche 993 cab, bmw 5 series wagon (newby wagon) miatas, bimmer 3 series. It's really a trip to see what a MINI can do in the right hands.
I was able to coax it up to 105 at the end of the straightaway, but my instructor, in an instructor session (with 200whp turbo miatas, crazy *** M3's vipers and porsche GT3RS's) he was able to get up to 112, and we wasnt abusing my car. This is all with stock suspension. I've since lowered it with the H&R spring set available at ALTA, which is a kickass outfit btw.

I put them on with my fiance's help in under 4 hours and got it aligned that week. a massive improvement in the car's sharpness for under 300 bucks. I will be getting a thicker rear swaybar.

I personally want a louder exhaust that doesnt drone on the highway just because I love the sound of a manual being run through the gears. I have a porsche 914 with dual carbs and a race header and THAT is a loud car (it's also my track car, but hasnt been up to the task yet)

So, Adam, do you have some louder exhausts coming for the non S?

My advice, like the rest, take your car for a DE and see what driving fast is all about, it's awesome. I put 250 miles on my car and got seriously awful milage that weekend, but I'll be definitely going back! Driving a slow car fast is LOADS more fun that driving a fast car slow.

Getting rides in M3's and 200WHP turbo miatas on the track is seriously a pucker factor 10 experience! OMG, it's great! damn, i want track time now. Thanks a lot :(

Old 04-15-2008, 08:18 PM
mansize
3rd Gear
Highly recommended upgrades for a Cooper :
- 19mm rear sway bar.
- lightest wheels possible.
- do not skimp on tire quality.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My list of goodies includes:

h&r springs
19mm rear sway
k&n apollo intake
3" piping from downpipe to muffler.(no second cat or res)

My plan is to put my spare '07 MCS motor in my MC.Waiting on that Alta Turbo upgrade kit.

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 04-15-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:44 PM
wimsaab
2nd Gear
There are not so much engine mods for cooper, as I know now...

I know just the
- light Crank Pulley from Webbmotorsport
- many exhaust system for cooper <Miltek,supersprint,hamann,remus, japanese exhaust>
- Intake from K&N<apollo and filters>
- ITG filter for cooper non s
- spark plus <denso>

I had mail to ALTA, they said that in this 3-4 months, they will release the intake for the standrd cooper...This is the quotation for my e-mail

"Hello Wim,

Thank you for contacting ALTA MINI Performance.

The Cooper S intake is not compatible to the Cooper. We will be making a standard Cooper intake that will be available in about 4-5 months.

Please keep an eye on our web site for updates!"

If that true, I will wait for ALTA CAI cooper non s R56, 555 can't wait to have it...

Old 04-21-2008, 03:23 PM
astra
4th Gear
I for one, am amazed at how great the std cooper Auto is!!!

I have a tricked out R53,, and the R55 I have is almost as much fun.....

It needs some suspension work,, and a slightly louder exhaust note.. but it great none the less!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 05:39 PM
wimsaab
2nd Gear
I recommend sprint booster....nice!!!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:00 PM
mini552
4th Gear
My cooper is an '06 but I'm learning about the R56 with an eye toward getting one in a year or so. Same upgrades would seem to apply. I ordered mine as light as possible (not even a sunroof), then lightened even further with forged BBS rims (10.6lb). When you're dealing with 115 hp the lbs. count. I had great luck with GIAC software on my 2 audis (though much more effective on turbo) and I'll eventually try their software upgrade for the Cooper. For handling, added better rubber, 19mm rear bar, JCW springs/KoniFSD shocks. Wanted nice exhaust tone w/o drone, and absolutely love the MyMini (now Minspeed) touring exhaust. Peter sent along an ITG drop in filter gratis. The combo probably picked up a few hp if measured on a dyno - I now the car FELT a bit quicker midrange, but that could be placebo effect. The car is probably way more capable than I am and I agree that a hiperf. driving school would be $$$$ well spent.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:05 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Cut a big hole on the driver seat floor and use your feet!

I thought I wouldn't be able to live with the lower power of a standard Cooper, going from a 300HP Subaru, so I never even test drove one before buying the S. My mom recently rented one and I was very pleasantly surprised at the spunkiness.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:17 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I understand tuning is a hobby for many, but since my Cooper is a daily driver and comes pretty well dialed-in from the factory (a tuned MINI One...we don't get that here), I pretty much keep my warranty, and find other ways to obsess (like detailing). Oh, and I found a new hobby, too. It is possible to screw these cars up so I suggest really knowing what you're doing before tinkering too much.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:24 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I understand tuning is a hobby for many, but since my Cooper is a daily driver and comes pretty well dialed-in from the factory (a tuned MINI One...we don't get that here), I pretty much keep my warranty, and find other ways to obsess (like detailing). Oh, and I found a new hobby, too. It is possible to screw these cars up so I suggest really knowing what you're doing before tinkering too much.
Hold on is yours a Cooper One?

Old 05-02-2008, 10:01 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by checkercoop
Hold on is yours a Cooper One?
No...my wording was unclear. I have a Cooper.