R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:22 PM
robbiecarman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick

So I've had my car for about 2 weeks now and have a a couple ticking questions - literally!

When my car is at idle I hear a fast paced tick coming from the motor. I can hear it inside the car but outside its pretty darn loud. At first I thought it was the NAV dvd searching, but take the DVD out - and it still ticks. Anyone else having this experience?

Also, I can't tell if its the clubdoor or the barn doors, but it seems like one of them can't shut all the way or is loose and rattles. I've had people in the back seat who say the clubdoor or the barn doors keep rattling. The actual description is kind of like a shade on a open window blowing in the wind. The thing is when I go to inspect those doors the don't budge. Any thoughts?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:03 PM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
NAV DVD searching? If it is a consistent-patterned tick which is louder outside, it could simply be the direct-inject aspect of the engine. If it sounds remotely like a diesel engine "clatter" this is probably it. If you open the bonnet, is the sound coming from the engine bay?

Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 AM
robbiecarman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by lovethecorners
NAV DVD searching? If it is a consistent-patterned tick which is louder outside, it could simply be the direct-inject aspect of the engine. If it sounds remotely like a diesel engine "clatter" this is probably it. If you open the bonnet, is the sound coming from the engine bay?
Yep I recognize what your saying about the "clatter" and if I open the hood I hear that for sure. But now that I've done that I'm convinced the noise is coming from inside the cabin

As a test I ejected the NAV DVD, turned off the radio, and turned of the climate control system (thinking these systems could be the source of the sound). With everything off every 20-30 sec for about 10 sec straight I get this fast fast ticking sound.

I guess I'll call the dealership - its very annoying!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:07 PM
NeuroticRobot
2nd Gear
My clubman has a rattle every time I make a hard right turn. I'll be taking it in this Friday to replace the front sway link, have my passenger air bag checked (indicator keeps going on and off) and have that weird rattle in the rear of my car checked.

Keeping in mind I've only had the car 12 days.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:28 AM
robbiecarman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by NeuroticRobot
My clubman has a rattle every time I make a hard right turn. I'll be taking it in this Friday to replace the front sway link, have my passenger air bag checked (indicator keeps going on and off) and have that weird rattle in the rear of my car checked.

Keeping in mind I've only had the car 12 days.
yeah me too! Two weeks today! And last night I started getting this THUD in the back of the car randomly

Old 12-10-2008, 08:02 AM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
It's a British car. That's what I had to explain to a coworker whose R56 justacooper automatic starting stalling a few days after she picked it up. I told her the teething problems would go away. Good luck taking your babies into the doctor!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:00 AM
ITTAZVIC
1st Gear
When I first took delivery of my clubman there seemed to be a symphony of squeaks, creaks and rattles. The problem was that there were a lot of them and they changed with temperature, road surface and even time of day! Happily, lately it seems that they've all settled down and are no longer a problem(or my hearing has gotten worse). I picked it up in March and have about 4600 miles on it so maybe a wait and see attitude is part of the ownwership experience.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:43 PM
mdot
2nd Gear
I hear teh rattle. (had mine for 5 days). Belive it's just the valves ticking. Didn't think a second time about it.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:42 AM
Lightbringer
2nd Gear
I also have this ticking noise in my July build 08 clubman s. Its ONLY when I'm accelerating (or have my foot on the accelerator), it does NOT do it when the car is coasting. If I put the vehicle in neutral and step on the gas slightly it also makes the noise, despite the transmission not being engaged ( I have the manual tranny ) This is terribly annoying, and sounds like it is coming from at or below the parking brake lever, but is hard to pin point.

I also have the same airbag light issue you have. I emailed the dealer, but have yet to take it in. Let me know what you end up finding out, I'll post again about what I find if I can remember.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Lightbringer
2nd Gear
Just a follow up...it seems to be worse (or at least, I have noticed it, more in the colder weather). I don't recall it being audible during the summer months / early fall. Also, the frequency of ticking doesn't seem to linearly increase with the RPM's, so I'm not inclined to think its a noise from the injectors.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:07 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
almost 100% positive it's the direct inj system ticking you are hearing. My 09 MCS does it only at idle, not revved.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:35 AM
Lightbringer
2nd Gear
My 08 MCSC definitely does it when revved. When idling in neutral it doesn't make any noise. I know what injectors sound like, they were very loud on my previous vehicle...I'm not so sure that this is them...they don't get faster as I rev the engine like they did in my other car, so I'm very much inclined to think its NOT them... FWIW On the way into work today I noticed that when the clutch was depressed, the sound went away (I haven't noticed this before, so I'm not sure if its always the case, or just a one time thing).

Old 01-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I can hear it when I go through a drive through. I think it's normal for this engine.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:26 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah at times my MC sounds a bit like a diesel with loud ticking at low idle.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 AM
U-2
2nd Gear
I just noticed that my non-S makes this clicking sound (started it with radio OFF). Had an urge to call the dealer, but decided to check the forum first. It looks like this is normal sound for Cooper?
===Edited===
I've decided to call my dealer anyway. Was told that valve lifters make this noise and this is normal for this type of engines.

Last edited by U-2; 01-05-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Update
Old 01-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Hello Robbie - did you get the car in yet? If so what was the issue?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:40 AM
robbiecarman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Krut
Hello Robbie - did you get the car in yet? If so what was the issue?
Not yet with the holidays and all and then having so much fun driving it. I plan to come by early next week.

It is for sure more prominent in cold weather. When the temp gets above 40-45 no clicking! Weird.

I'll keep you posted. Also still no iPhone 3g cradles? I thought I would have gotten a call by now mine was in?

Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 PM
U-2
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by U-2
I've decided to call my dealer anyway. Was told that valve lifters make this noise and this is normal for this type of engines.
Called another dealer - the guy told me the noise is normal and it's a high pressure fuel pump. Are they bullshitting me? As I understand, non-s engine does not utilize direct injection and does not have a high pressure fuel pump. Am I wrong?

Old 01-22-2009, 06:37 PM
CJP
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by robbiecarman
It is for sure more prominent in cold weather. When the temp gets above 40-45 no clicking! Weird.
Although my dream Clubman will not be ordered for another couple of months - our July '08 MC has the very same issue. The tick-tick-tick is more than a little bothersome. Moreover, our '04 still purrs as it did in the first year, never a tick-tick-tick EVER.
Could it be something yet unidentified, or should we really believe it is 'normal?" The sound from the engine just doesn't seem right. Especially since it is very pronounced in colder weather. Once the daily temp is over 40-45 degrees, it is back to being pretty quite. And I was told too from STL Mini service, it sounds as it should sound. Huh?

Old 01-23-2009, 09:12 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by U-2
Called another dealer - the guy told me the noise is normal and it's a high pressure fuel pump. Are they bullshitting me? As I understand, non-s engine does not utilize direct injection and does not have a high pressure fuel pump. Am I wrong?
The non s engine does have direct fuel injection.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 AM
U-2
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by djam43
The non s engine does have direct fuel injection.
Not according to this document:
http://www.psa-peugeot-citroen.com/d...1103281940.pdf
There are 2 variants of the engine:
1)Normal-aspiration power unit with fully variable valve drive
2)High-performance turbocharged engine with direct gasoline
injection

Old 02-06-2009, 01:01 PM
jondon69
1st Gear
Mine clicks too... not engine speed related, but ticks about 10 secs then off a few, then on again... I also have a 40+ old Brit sports car with an quality SU electric fuel pump and figured that's what the sound was. Glad to hear others have the tick too :-)
The MORE alarming sound I heard was going over bumps at 25mph when the car was cold -- the windshield makes HORRIBLE popping noises -- I literally expected it was going to pop right out!!! Goes away when the car warms though... wonder what noises the warm weather will bring :-)))

Ahh, the folly of little special cars :-)))

Cheers!