Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

classically clueless..

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:24 AM
istara
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
classically clueless..

I'll start with the warning that I'm new to all of this, but eager to learn more..

I actually started out the summer looking for a MINI, but quickly became attracted to the classic style. Gradually I've started to learn more about all the various models, but it's been a pretty slow process and so I'm looking for advice from those of you who know your stuff.

While continuing to look for a mini (still mostly MINIs, because there don't seem to be hardly any classics in my area), I came across an auction for a 1980 classic mini, LH, automatic transmition, which is ready to be shipped from the UK. (I'd link the auction, but I had a hard time pinning down a copy of the forum rules? It's a pretty quick find on ebay)

Being left-handed and automatic, it's cute, but seems just a little less exciting than a lot of the classics out there. My brother, on the other hand, thinks that it's the best idea in the world and really wants me to get it. I would love to hear some opinions.

It's not terribly expensive (would probably be $5,500-6,500 in total - shipping included), but again, I'm not up on how to judge the worth of many of these cars. It also scares me to purchase a mini (or any car, for that matter) from overseas without seeing it first.

I could ramble on some more, but any general thoughts you could throw out would be very helpful. Thanks so much,
-ist

Old 05-21-2006, 07:39 PM
brandondonat
1st Gear
Just my personal opinion

Ist-

Glad to hear that you are interested in the Mini's. But, I just want to forwarn you to really look into them before making a purchase. I say this because there are alot of them out there that are bodged as they say with bondo and whatever else will hide imperities.

I picked up the Mini fever when I was stationed in England (now Germany) and in the past four years of working on them and restoring them I have seen some things that are pretty amazing that people have done to keep their car on the road (candy bar rappers stuffed in the sills with bondo over the top). It served its purpose for the time but was a real mess to clean out.

My opinion on the mini you have seen. I am not an Automatic Mini fan. My first was an auto and was okay but what I have seen and heard from others is that the trannys are not the greatest. I would only reccomend that you get a manual because they are easy to fix gearing if it goes bad. I have found that the auto was a bit slower on acceleration than a standard.

There are all sorts of models of Mini's.. so always a good idea to get a good read into them in Classic Mini forums and books if you can get your hands on one or two. Just make sure that the Mini is 25 years old or older otherwise you will run into problems meeting the EPA and DVLA regulations.

5,500-6,000 seems very expensive in my opinion for an auto Mini. This may be because I am used to seeing them cheap here but there are many other Minis that I would but before I spent that amount on an automatic. Just to give you an idea.. I had shipped 2 Mini's from Germany to Tacoma, WA for $1500 each (all paperwork, customs fees included). Search around and find the best company to ship it as I found rates changed dramatically. The smaller companies are harder to find but offer lower rates.

Be very wary about not seeing the car at first. But, know that nearly anything on a Mini can be replaced if something needs changed (panels, etc). These panels, etc are relatively cheap but unless you can do the labor yourself could end up costing much more.

Kick it around for a while but dont jump on the first Mini you see. Be patient and keep very good contact with the seller. If there is one that you are VERY interested in and depending on my schedule.. I may be able to fly (cheap) upto England and have a look... or better yet if you see one in Germany. In this case we could work something out but keep the thought going on the Mini scene. If you need any help or advice you can contact me at brandondonat@msn.com. I would be happy to help out where I can.

-Brandon

Old 05-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Latka
5th Gear
Where are you located? There are Mini clubs all over the US and the world - it would probably be best to meet someone with a mini, ride in it, possibly drive it, and just kinda get the groove down before you plunk your money on a car.

I second the bit about not buying unless you can see it. People in the UK aren't stupid - they know that a Mini has to be 25+ years old to ship to the US...so we get their £500 Minis for $5,000+...

If you're on the east coast of the US I can reccomend someone highly. I can also reccomend some people on the west coast as well.

latka at hawaii dot rr dot com.
(71 Mini and 66 Austin Cooper S)

Old 05-22-2006, 01:48 PM
istara
2nd Gear
Thanks so much to both of you, your advice is great and I really appreciate all of the offers for help!

I am actually in Arizona (so, kind of west coast), and I haven't actually ever heard of nor seen a classic mini in the area. That's the trouble. I'm probably going to simply continue my MINI search (because I absolutely need to have a running car by the end of the summer to get back to school in), but start reading up on the classics so that when I graduate next year and get myself into a more stable state of existence, I can really put in the appropriate time and research needed for finding the right mini.

I will definately dig through these forums some more. Are there any other good online references for getting started in the mini world? Thanks again, your help has been amazing! (only one day and this forum is one of my new favorite places )

-Jana

Old 05-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Latka
5th Gear
There is a Mini Owners of Arizona (forgot if that's the name) group.

The best source (in the US) for a forum is MiniMania. www.minimania.com

Post a message there and ask about an AZ Mini Group. I'm 100% sure someone can help ya that's actually close to you!

edit - http://www.azminiowners.com/

Old 05-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
I absolutely need to have a running car by the end of the summer to get back to school in
You've answered your own question, imho. Since you need a reliable car for daily driving, and you are not your own mechanic, and assuming since you're going to school, not flush with cash to be hiring a reputable mechanic, you should buy a MINI not a classic. When you are ready for a classic they will still be around. After all, they made 5.4 million of them...

Old 05-22-2006, 06:33 PM
OKeefe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by istara
I will definately dig through these forums some more. Are there any other good online references for getting started in the mini world? Thanks again, your help has been amazing! (only one day and this forum is one of my new favorite places )

-Jana

http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?homepage.htm

and check your local B&N or Borders for MiniWorld http://www.miniworld.co.uk/

Old 05-23-2006, 05:31 AM
Minimad
6th Gear
Old 05-23-2006, 06:26 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Since you are in Arizona, I would go to Mini Meet West in Prescott on June 20th. You can check out several hundred classic Minis at the same time!

http://www.minimeetwest.com/

http://www.azminiowners.com/minimeetwest2006/

I drove a classic for several years but the important difference is that I am (was) a mechanic and I know British cars and Minis in particular like the back of my hand. Any old car requires lots of maintenance - the points need to be adjusted periodically and the carb (or carbs) need(s) to be maintained. Oil is shared between the engine and gearbox, so it should be changed VERY OFTEN! Minis typically have cooling problems, especially in a warm environment. I am not trying to discourage you. It is possible to get a good Mini and maintain it yourself with basic mechanical knowledge and a good maintenance manual. And doing so is very rewarding. NOTHING is more fun to drive than a Mini, including the new MINI. Go to Mini Meet West and talk to some people there. You will get a better feel for the car.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:51 PM
codemunkee
2nd Gear
check out http://www.dynamicminicollective.com/board/

it's a large AZ club and there are quite a few members with classics who will gladly offer advice...