Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Importing my RHD-Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Michael Stokes
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Importing my RHD-Mini...

Ok this is my 2nd posting so I'm still very shaky about how this all works but ... I am a US Srvc member (*pc) stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I would very much like to import my 95 Mini (classic), Right-Hand-Drive into the US when I return to the West Coast - Tacoma/Seattle, Washinton area in JUNE2006. I've been told that I need to start this process about a year from my return date - which is about now! I've just begun looking at the NHTSA-web site for information on "Registered Importers" in the area as well as looking at the list of vehicles" (*nonconforming & such that are listed...) but honestly I'm very confussed - I HAVE NO CLUE - weither my vehicle is "conforming" or "nonconforming" or what? Since i'm home on leave until the 31st ... i've got just a little time! to do as much as I can to make this happen or determine for once & for all that it won't. (*Because, I know that when I return to Japan I will again be deployed for an uncertain amount of time & be very hard-pressed to investigate further!!) So I really need as much help as any-one can give me to completely determine; Weither or not I can bring this vehicle back into the states? Is this a conforming or nonconforming vehicle? What I need to do to get a West Coast/Washington St. area "Registered Importer"? What "modifications" will the vehicle most likely need inorder to get it "accepted" (by the US) & road worthy? Sorry that I can not post the VIN number right now (*I was not thinking when I left - I don't have it with me!) So if you've imported your mini into the US from overseas (*preferably Japan) - please share the info &/or assistance. [Basic info: RHD, automatic, it is currently register & titled as a 1995- but i'm convinced that it must be an older model, 1275-engine.] Thanks for any & all the help! Michael

Old 07-19-2005, 12:07 PM
MGear
5th Gear
I wish you all the luck in the world. Starting the process a year ahead of schedule does sound like a good idea but a year is long enough for some of the processes to change so be careful.

I just went through hell shipping my car from the USA to the UK. Four months later, plus $500.00 in expenses to get it to pass inspection and it still isn't on the road yet. Looks like though we just got all my problems solved today

Good luck

Old 07-21-2005, 06:27 AM
Michael Stokes
Neutral
Importing veh..

So was your vehicle a new model or a classic Mini? I've sent inquiries to the Importers listed w/emails on the NHTSA web-site ... i've gotten a few replys but no satisfaction - yet! I'm sure that the additional costs of bring it into the US will be significant but ...?

Old 07-21-2005, 06:45 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
If you haven't already done so ...

I suggest looking for help over at Mini Mania:

http://www.minimania.com/msgthreads.cfm

Old 07-21-2005, 08:16 AM
OKeefe
4th Gear
Importing a Mini (vs a MINI)

'thread moved....' Here's just one of the earlier discussions about this very question:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=45292

In this thread you will find the statement that there's no way to make a 95 legal to import.... A classic needs to be 25 years old to get the antique waiver - sorry 'bout that.

Now having said that I just posted a query in another thread here where people are posting pics of their classics. And lo - there are a couple of Minis there which are younger than 25 years. I asked 'how'?

So far the only reply has been "cheat"......

I'm curious to see if there is a legal way - as I'm sure you are too.

My rhd 79 came over on its 25th birthday - in the thread I referenced is a link the magic form that provides the exemptions for bringing a non-conforming vehicle into the states. The first get out of jail free option is '25 years old or older'

Good luck ... I'd be interested to know if you find a way (other than a bogus VIN.... )

Old 07-21-2005, 09:03 AM
2minis
6th Gear
A possible solution is to import the car for "race use only." You wouldn't be able to register it but you could get it in to the US that way. When you got it here you could work on getting it registered.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:24 AM
OKeefe
4th Gear
that's exemption 7

Originally Posted by 2minis
A possible solution is to import the car for "race use only." You wouldn't be able to register it but you could get it in to the US that way. When you got it here you could work on getting it registered.
the full text is:

The vehicle or equipment does not comply with all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety and

Bumper Standards, but is being imported solely for the purpose of research,

investigations, show or display, demonstrations or training, or competitive racing events,

and I state that I will comply with the applicable restrictions on importers of such

merchandise [591.7] and I will provide the Administrator with documentary proof of

export or destructions not later than 30 days following the end of the period for which

the vehicle has been admitted into the United States. [591.5(j)]

Old 07-21-2005, 11:36 AM
ripley
3rd Gear
The easiest thing to do would be to sell it there and buy another one here.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:34 PM
OKeefe
4th Gear
can't argue...

Originally Posted by ripley
The easiest thing to do would be to sell it there and buy another one here.
Can't argue with that except to acknowledge love......

if you search here you'll find that there are vendors for classics...they are not impossible to find. But if you have blood sweat and tears invested, I understand.

If not....WHAT THE HELL!!!!

Old 07-21-2005, 03:55 PM
8ball
6th Gear
Michael,

You have rights available to you as a member of the Military that don't apply to the rest of us: if you have your "official change of station orders" you can bring your car in duty-free and in some cases, that can be a "non-complying" vehicle ... if it is for your personal use.
Get the "Importing a Car" pamphlet from a military customs office and good luck.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:59 PM
indygomini
4th Gear
Could shipping it through Mexico or Canada work? If you could register it in one of those countries, and then simply drive it over the border as a legally registered vehicle, I suspect that re-registering it once it got here might be easier than trying to import it directly. I would expect that U.S. Customs might be easier to deal with at a highway crossing than at an import marine terminal.

As long as you have a clean title from a recognized government agency (foreign or domestic shouldn't matter, one would hope), a state MVA should allow you to re-title the car (after paying tax, of course.)

Of course, a classic MINI is almost small enough that you could try taping a handle to the roof and check it through as luggage.

Old 07-22-2005, 02:34 PM
OKeefe
4th Gear
What I'm lookin 4

Originally Posted by 8ball
Michael,

You have rights available to you as a member of the Military that don't apply to the rest of us: if you have your "official change of station orders" you can bring your car in duty-free and in some cases, that can be a "non-complying" vehicle ... if it is for your personal use.
Get the "Importing a Car" pamphlet from a military customs office and good luck.
I'm really curious to see if anyone has found a loophole that's re-usable?

WRT to military exemptions......hmmmm. I have 27 years active duty and I'm not aware of a way I can bring in a non-compliant vehicle. 8-ball, do you have a document number for that customs form? I'd be happy to scan and post here. There are tax exemptions for military members but I've always understood that the vehicle needed to be US compliant - not the same as US spec'd - in order to be brought it. Referencing that same form I did earlier, I don't see an exemption that applies from a safety rule stand point. But if I'm wrong ... because you/someone have succesfully brought a vehicle in - pls share.

I'd like to build a knowledge base of this information since the question comes up about once a month. As a military member and classic lover I'd like to b able to pass the true juju.

'course if I was searching for another Mini I'd want a MK1 .... now THAT'S a Mini.

Now that drive across the border from Canada plan sounds pretty damn interesting..... Who checks????? Not the state DMV in my experience.

'course, maybe folks don't want to share how they got around the rules

Still driving, and working on my '79 wanna b

Old 07-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
Might I put forth an answer in the form of a question? [cue the Jeopardy theme...]

If there was a way in which to circumvent the fed regulations with little chance of being caught, don't you think there'd be a better selection of late model Minis already available here in the US? After all, we are not the first to think of this since they stopped importing in 1968......

My observation is that since I imported my first Mini from the UK 5-6 years ago, Customs has become much more aware of this particular issue and therefore I think it more difficult to circumvent (break) the law than back then. Add in the increased vigilance and reorganization since 9/11 and I don't view it as a good risk to take, imho. Also, some of the newer cars (90's) weren't made as well as the older and were more prone to rust. Can it be done? Yes. Does someone know a way? Yes. Would they tell you? Why, there's no upside for them?

Old 07-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Manuel B
3rd Gear
I was told that nobody in the states has the correct equipment to work on the fuel injected, computer controled Mini's, one site said the cost was about $18K and there are not enough of them here to justify the purchase.
I have minor issues with mine that I wish I could take it somewhere and at least have it scanned but I haven't ever heard of anyone anywhere who can "read" my car, if it were actually the year stated on the registration, I would be able to work on it myself.
There are illegal re-vin Mini's on eBay all the time, titled, and in the U.S. already, most say "196_/199_specs" or "upgraded to 199_"
I can't even get a factory manual for it,
But I still love it !!!

Old 07-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
Contact Dion at DJMinis.com he maight be able to help out.

Old 07-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Michael Stokes
Neutral
Race use Only...?

Do you know anyone who's done this?
Mike
Originally Posted by 2minis

Old 07-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Michael Stokes
Neutral
djminis.com ...?

Can you help put me in touch with this person ... my initial search shows that "DJMinis.com" was not found... thanks,
mike
Originally Posted by Minimad
Contact Dion at DJMinis.com he maight be able to help out.

Old 07-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Michael Stokes
Neutral
Fuel Injected...?

My Min has the 1275 engine ... the air cleaner is in the back center of the engine compartment - the carberator - well I would guess it is a "single -point fuel injection" but I never considered it true fuel injection as it flows thru the carberator instead of the manifold...(*hoping not to sound to much like an idiot ... still learning engines & the Mini system....)
thanks, mike
Originally Posted by Manuel B
I was told that nobody in the states has the correct equipment to work on the fuel injected, computer controled Mini's, one site said the cost was about $18K and there are not enough of them here to justify the purchase.
I have minor issues with mine that I wish I could take it somewhere and at least have it scanned but I haven't ever heard of anyone anywhere who can "read" my car, if it were actually the year stated on the registration, I would be able to work on it myself.
There are illegal re-vin Mini's on eBay all the time, titled, and in the U.S. already, most say "196_/199_specs" or "upgraded to 199_"
I can't even get a factory manual for it,
But I still love it !!!

Old 07-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
Old 07-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Michael Stokes
Neutral
importing..

As much as I would love to have "special" priveleges - we don't - we must comply with the same "restrictions & regulatations" that any & all non-military civilian do when it comes to things like importing vehicles ...
I'm still struggling trying to determine what the exact Yr, Make & Model this vehicle is / weither it was re-vin.ed or what - inorder to help me determine it's conforming status ... I've already been to the "moving office" on base & got all pamphlets & info they had importing vehicles - it is alot of info to go thru. Yes, it would be easy to just get rid of it & sale it before I return & pay $8,000 to $10,000 dollars for a comperable condition vehicle ..... but I'm afraid that if I do sale this one - I won't be getting another one... :(
Thanks, mike
Originally Posted by 8ball
Michael,

Old 07-26-2005, 12:17 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
MINI COOPER, MINI AUSTIN ROVER GROUP LTD, RED, 4 CYL, 2 DR, MANUAL, YEAR/OPERATIONAL STATUS UNKNOWN, RIGHT HAND DRIVE, ODOMETER READS 41,991, VIN: SAXXL2S1N10777425 (EXPORT ONLY, CANNOT BE EXPORTED TO CANADA OR MEXICO)

MINI COOPER, MINI AUSTIN ROVER GROUP LTD, WHITE, 4 CYL, 2 DR, MANUAL, OPERATIONAL STATUS UNKNOWN, RIGHT HAND DRIVE, ODOMETER READS 72,480, VIN: SAXXL2S1N20350809 (EXPORT ONLY, CANNOT BE EXPORTED TO CANADA OR MEXICO)

MINI, TURQUOISE, 4 CYL, 2 DR, MANUAL, YEAR/MAKE UNKNOWN, OPERATIONAL STATUS UNKNOWN, RIGHT HAND DRIVE, BUMPER & GRILL DAMAGED, BOTH FRONT SIGNALS DAMAGED, ROOF LEFT HAND SIDE SMALL DENT, ODOMETER READS 42,089, VIN: SAXXNYAXBBD120200 (EXPORT ONLY, CANNOT BE EXPORTED TO CANADA OR MEXICO)

Suppose someone else thought they could bring in a late model??? These are US treasury auctions in LA.......caveat emptor

Old 07-26-2005, 12:28 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
yikes.

Old 07-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Manuel B
3rd Gear
I wonder why it says "cannot be exported to Mexico" ?, cars get stolen in SoCal and driven to Mexico the same day, nobody asks any questions at the border going south,

Old 07-27-2005, 05:42 AM
OKeefe
4th Gear
Maybe....

Originally Posted by Manuel B
I wonder why it says "cannot be exported to Mexico" ?, cars get stolen in SoCal and driven to Mexico the same day, nobody asks any questions at the border going south,
Maybe to prevent export to 2 miles across the border then driving back to US the same day.....

Old 07-27-2005, 05:50 AM
Minimad
6th Gear
The serial numbers posted indicate that the cars are 81-82, late 80's and a 90+. The importer didn't apparently think someone at customs would get a hold of a list of serial numbers & production dates...

Quick Reply: Importing my RHD-Mini...