Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

New Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 05:38 AM
hoodie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Classic

Hey ya'll just wanted to post. I've always loved mini's and was just recently able to acquire a:
  • 1991 1.3 Carb Rover Mini in Japan (RHD)
  • White
  • 51,000KM

Upcoming maintenance:
  • Lucas High Tension Leads
  • Respo Engine Oil 5l (15W40 SM)
  • Distributor Cap (45)
  • HIF38 Carburetor Repair Kit
  • Bearings
  • Brake Return Spring

Bought from a private owner who was selling it because the car itself was sitting for a year and hasn't been touched. Ended up buying the car through someone who sells mini's in Japan where I'm currently stationed.

It was in fairly good condition from the looks of it. After I decided to buy the car I ended up paying ~$4.5k for the car.

The buyer was in Tokyo, the car was in Hiroshima and I am currently near Nagasaki so the purchaser had to fly to Hiroshima, buy the car from the private seller, and then drive it down to Nagasaki.

It made it all the way down to 25km out of town before the rubber on the slave cylinder ripped therefore leaking oil and had to go to the shop.

After it was dropped off my house I went to get it inspected for registration but was having issues starting the car (at the actual inspection location) therefore I ended up taking it to a local mechanic.

The mechanic said it was running too rich to pass inspection and when speaking to the person who sold it to me he said it would most likely need an carb overhaul along with a few other maintenance, otherwise it should be fine.

My biggest concern is making it street legal as it has been sitting for a year so the registration has expired therefore it'll need a Japanese inspection in order for me to legally drive it in Japan.

Also I haven't come up with a name for her yet if any of you want to send some suggestions.

Issues:

With that being said here are some pictures of the car. Don't know what I got myself into but when she was running, I loved driving this car. Hoping to get her up and running so I can get it registered. Please give me your thoughts!

Dropbox Photos

Old 04-13-2016, 08:45 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
What a beaut! Congratulations. There are a few active members on here with classics. Hopefully they will chime in with some help. Hope you get it resolved soon so you can enjoy her. I'm not really sure why, must be because she is white, but snow flake comes to mind for a name. Is that a Legacy GT wagon that I spot?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-13-2016, 09:18 AM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
you need to use 20/50 oil in a mini engine.....torco is the best or milners
do you know if the engine is modified in any way you best look in float chamber of carb for dirt.....

Old 04-13-2016, 10:14 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
That car might be "Snowberry" white, that would be a fun name for it!

You need to have the car thoroughly checked out, if it's been sitting for a while there could be a bunch of gunk in the gas tank too....I think I'd take it out and have it cleaned - radiator shops do that here.

Definitely take the carb apart and clean everything thoroughly - the piston could be sticking in the dome, that will cause a rich running condition - also the o-ring for the choke mechanism can fail causing it to run rich and give you a flooded/no start condition - replacing the o-ring fixes that.

To add to what Mk1leg says bout the oil, you need oil with a high zinc content to keep the cam lobes from wearing out prematurely.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:08 AM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
<span style="font-size: 18px;">What a Classic Find!</span>

Need a carburetor for that Classic Mini of yours? Not sure how to install it, or need some advice on how to fine tune yours? Then you've come to the right place.

At MiniMania.com, we have tons of articles on Carburetors ranging from how to install, how to fine tune, how to increase performance and how to find the carburetor made for you MINI.

Plus, we've got that Classic Mini Cooper Carburetor part too!

And if you can't find what you're looking for, give us a call. When not helping out customers, our technical staff are up to the elbows in grease and oil fixing up their Minis so they know what they're talking about!

Find out All About Carburetors right here!

Last edited by Mini Mania; 04-20-2016 at 04:21 PM.