Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Wiring route

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:24 PM
minytoy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring route

Another question for the NAM classic group. Does anyone know the route the wires travel from the bonnet to the rear tail lights in the trunk?
My left turn signal light does not have voltage at the plug that connects harness to light assembly.
The front left light works, and the green with red tracer under the bonnet has voltage. It is as if there may be another connector somewhere on the way to the trunk. I probed around the left side carpeting, but could not feel a wire harness going back. I know it comes in via back seat and under fuel tank.This is the only item that is wrong with my car. And very frustrating while driving, people think I am a jerk for not signaling my turns. When I use hand signals, they think I am waving at them. I must be older than those I share the road with.
Again, I appreciate any help on this matter. Maybe someday I will know the answer to anothers question.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:38 PM
stratman977
4th Gear
If I remember right I think it goes along the roof on the dome light side. I think it was fished through the pillars by the windshield and then back down between the rear window and the side window.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:10 AM
OKMini
4th Gear
I just had my Mini down to the shell so I am familiar with the fun part of refishing the wiring loom from the front to back of the car. The wiring loom ran through a grommet in the firewall (left side of the center binnacle at dash level). It goes up inside the frame on the left side of the windshield and along the inside of the structural channel that supports the roof. Two wires go to inside dome light and then it goes down the inside of the frame on the left side of the rear window. Mine has a rear heated window so wires go to it and then the wiring drops down behind the gas tank and comes out under gas tank and splits off to the left rear light with the remainder going to the boot lid and along the underside lip of the boot (past the hinges) to the other rear light.

I have a 1979 UK RHD Mini 1000. I have lots of pictures of the car torn down with wiring routes, how the wires go to each device and how they look up. Many of the boot area. I would be happy to share them with you via photobucket and I can explain them by phone if necessary - send me a PM.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:41 AM
minytoy
1st Gear
Well I can see why I couldn't find the harness under the carpet. With the fuel tank in the trunk, I couldn't see the wires coming out of the top.
It doesn't sound like there is a connector between the bonnet and the trunk connector. Hard to vision a break in just one wire in between.
Thanks for your description of the wiring, not sure of my next move, but I must find a solution.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:41 PM
minytoy
1st Gear
Eureka!
The problem was the first place I looked last week. A small pin connector in the bonnet has one wire into two others. I pulled them apart last week a sprayed contact cleaner on them and thought the connections was fine. Seems that maybe the swedge of the wire was intermittent, so I bypassed the assembly with and in-line connector and I now have rear left turn signal.
Sometime I need to remember, that just because I have looked at something before, not to rule it out as suspect forever.
Many thanks for your input. It was VERY helpful in locating the problem.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Sometime I need to remember, that just because I have looked at something before, not to rule it out as suspect forever.

My version: when you are sure everything is right, and the program still doesn't work: something you are sure of, is wrong.

I've a Haynes and the 'service manual' and isn't it interesting that altho we can get the wiring schematics....we don't actually get a diagram of the routing...

never noticed that b4
or am I missing it?

Last edited by Capt_bj; 09-26-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:59 PM
minytoy
1st Gear
Boy, I am going to borrow your quote!
That one comes back and bites you in the ......

Old 09-27-2009, 07:37 PM
joltfreak
4th Gear