Chicago MINI Motoring Club The Chicago MINI Motoring Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.chicagominiclub.com

New to Chicago and New to Mini

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:48 AM
FreeFromDezire
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Chicago and New to Mini

Hey Everybody,

Just thought I would introduce myself. My name's Jay and I recently moved up to Chicago after school in Texas A&M (Masters). Before that was at Purdue (Bachelors). Working for a big telecom company in Libertyville and living in Palatine.

So, the story on how I got my Mini: I had and still have an old 92 BMW 325i with about 190,000 miles. Won the novice auto cross championship while in Texas . I was hoping to keep the car until at least I crossed the big 200. But, I got rear-ended on the way to work by another bimmer, big old 7. The structural damage was quite significant to the rear (repair estimate was $4300!!) I got a bit more than that from the other guy's insurance and got to keep the car, but it's undriveable as the trunk wont close - bumper's smashed in. So, decided it was time for a new car, it's been 4 glorious years with the bimmer.

Went to Knauz (close to work) and saw what they had in used bimmers. I figured I couldnt get anything else (based on engineering, philosophy, racing history, etc...) And then...... the Mini dealership was close by and thought why not check it out. Always was interested, but never acted on it. So, I test drove a MC and really liked how it felt, the short shifting, braking with no nose-dive and the cornering, oh wow. I had read before it felt like a big go-kart. And was quite hesistant on the 115 hp, but the thing goes, it was even pulling through corners in 3rd gear. I was sold on it, but didnt like the color and options. AutoTrader once again led me to my new love at Bill Jacbos VW. I test drove it and loved it.

Funny story about the test drive, the sales guy was busy so he let me go out by myself and within two blocks I was pulled over and the cops asked if I had any license plates on the cars . Realized that the dealership forget to slap on those magnetic temp ones, so no ticket, but that ruined the test drive. No prob, I was already sold on the car. I found myself constantly smiling while I was in the car.

Details: 2002 with only 15800 miles, Indigo blue with white roof, mirrors and wheels and white racing stripes. This car came with almost every option, Sport, Premium and Cold Weather package. No HK radio, though. But 6 CD changer and driving lights.

I love the car and I think it's perfect for me right now. I am still suprised at how easily it goes to 80 mph. I love 3rd gear and the heated seats. Radio buttons on the steering wheel are cool also and that sunroof, OMG, it's huge. I love finding small parking spots in the city. I showed it to my friends and they all love it.

Im going to be joining the Chicago Mini Club and would definitely like to meet ya'll for the drive on the 20th.

Skol (cheers),
Jay

Old 03-10-2005, 01:57 PM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
hey, nice story, haha. i will hopefully be at the drive on the 20th. see ya there!

Old 03-12-2005, 08:56 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hi, welcome to chi-town! :smile: You might see my IB/B roaming around
palatine on a sunny weekend.

Old 03-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Belatu-Cadros
1st Gear
Welcome to Chicagoland and the joys of owning a MINI.

You wouldn't happen to work for the same telecomm company that has campuses in AH, schaumburg, etc?

Old 03-20-2005, 04:03 PM
LTLMCPE
3rd Gear
Welcome to Chicago Jay! Quite the story there. Did you make the CMMC drive today? If you are into autox and still have your BMWCCA membership, the Windy City chapter is quite active and does 6 autocrosses a year. We have a M class for MINI's. First autox is April 23 at Maywood Park.

Happy Chicago Motoring!

Jim

02 DS/W MCS
99 Estoril M coupe

Old 03-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Mark Hirt
1st Gear
Speaking of Autocross

Chicago Region, SCCA does an 8 event season
Tri-State Sports Car Council does 8
Milwaukee region, SCCA does 8
Wisconsin Autocrossers Inc does 7 or 8

All clubs listed above above offer some sort of indexed "street tire" class. The top two lump them in one big group, the bottom two split them up by front/rear drive. All four use the SCCA rule book for classing.

In this area you can run just about every weekend from April through October. I do 25 to 30 each summer

Old 03-21-2005, 11:04 AM
FreeFromDezire
1st Gear
Thanx for the info on autocrosses, Im definitely going to a few this summer. I couldnt make the drive last saturday - my friends planned a last minute ski trip and I am so addicted to the white stuff (snow that is). Had to get one more trip in for this season.

I have the sports package tires on my car and am wondering how do the tires hold up if Im going to be autrocrossing on them.

Do you guys reccomend I get spare wheels and tires (not race or anything, but just something meant only for autocrossing)?

Old 03-21-2005, 11:23 AM
boilermini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by FreeFromDezire
Do you guys reccomend I get spare wheels and tires (not race or anything, but just something meant only for autocrossing)?
Definitely consider another set of autox wheels/tires. If your MC came with runflats they are expensive to replace and don't handle autocrossing well at all. Lots of other threads on this in the Racing and Competition forums.

There's one other region to check out for autox -- Indiana Northwest region.
http://inr-scca.com

They have 7 events planned for this season. All will be held at Merrillville High School. (Only about an hour or less from Chicago)

Old 03-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Mark Hirt
1st Gear
The correct link for Indiana Northwest region is
http://www.inr-scca.org/

Any idea when their 2005 schedule will be posted?
I have some holes in my schedule to fill

Last edited by Mark Hirt; 03-22-2005 at 07:37 AM. Reason: To ask about INR's 2005 schedule
Old 04-04-2005, 04:36 AM
Mark Hirt
1st Gear
How did you guys end up yesterday?