Chicago MINI Motoring Club The Chicago MINI Motoring Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.chicagominiclub.com

Nasa TT

Old 08-05-2013, 11:31 AM
dboard7
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nasa TT

Anyone in the Chicago area Currently running Nasa Time trials? I'm currently running with Midwestern Council Sports Car club now but would really like to run with Nasa next year. They have Contingency programs and do more events so I can get more track time! I'm kind of confused when going through everything; I was wondering if there is anyone local to me that can help me get started so I can compete in 2014?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Sidney64
1st Gear
Feel free to email me at SFrank944 at a o l dot com.

I raced W2W with NASA Midwest for years and can hook you up with the Regional TT Director.

Sidney

Old 10-16-2013, 05:57 AM
dboard7
4th Gear
That would be awesome! i just finished the season running with Midwestern Councile and would like to get my car ready to run TT in 2014, Thanksfor your asistance i just sent you an email!

Last edited by dboard7; 10-16-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:02 PM
dparaho
3rd Gear
Interested to hear what you find out. I have been looking at doing the same thing next year although I think one has to progress through the HPDE ranks in order to get a TT license.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:03 AM
dboard7
4th Gear
dparaho- you are correct, need to start at HPDE and work your way up to TT. I have spoken with a few diffrne t people and it looks like it will be a blast, you need to start at the bottom and work our way up

Old 11-07-2013, 08:32 AM
dparaho
3rd Gear
I think if you have prior hpde experience you don't need to start in the beginners group (group 1?). The NASA site has a wizard where you can gauge what group you might be able to start in. Since you have considerable track experience I'd think you'd star in either 3 or 4. This looks like a great way to get one step closer to real racing. There are a lot of regional events next year and I'm looking forward to getting on some new tracks. Just not sure what I'll be in at this point. I put the Mini up for sale and am looking to get into something different.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:40 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Please post build, progress, etc as you go! Will be a great read.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:52 AM
dparaho
3rd Gear
@Dboard - Any idea how much the NASA HPDE events cost? I seem to recall it was a bit more than your typical SCCA/Midwest Council track day.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:54 AM
dboard7
4th Gear
dparaho- it is about $400ish for the weekend with Nasa don’t quote me onthat though, slightly more expensive but I pay right now about 120 to run HSAXwith Council and is about 1/4 the amount of track time. There is also W2W withcouncil I have been looking into as well.

kyoo- i haven’t started any threads on that but currently I have a 2010 mcs and currently have a bolt in harness bar in the back, the Accessport, Koniyellows, swift springs, Alta rear sway bar, forge intercooler, stainless steellines and better fluid (I think I’m going to put Carbotech brake pads on Ididn’t like the Ebc yellows too much), sp performance rotors, Corbeau seats andharnesses, riss racing down pipe, Invidia cat back, ie fixed camber plates, hsport lower rear control arms. I think that is lol I’m looking at the QuaifeLSD and can’t decide on a clutch yet but I might as well swap it when I do thelsd, and need to get new wheels that dont weigh 20lbs lol and slicks.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dboard7
dparaho- it is about $400ish for the weekend with Nasa don’t quote me onthat though, slightly more expensive but I pay right now about 120 to run HSAXwith Council and is about 1/4 the amount of track time. There is also W2W withcouncil I have been looking into as well.

kyoo- i haven’t started any threads on that but currently I have a 2010 mcs and currently have a bolt in harness bar in the back, the Accessport, Koniyellows, swift springs, Alta rear sway bar, forge intercooler, stainless steellines and better fluid (I think I’m going to put Carbotech brake pads on Ididn’t like the Ebc yellows too much), sp performance rotors, Corbeau seats andharnesses, riss racing down pipe, Invidia cat back, ie fixed camber plates, hsport lower rear control arms. I think that is lol I’m looking at the QuaifeLSD and can’t decide on a clutch yet but I might as well swap it when I do thelsd, and need to get new wheels that dont weigh 20lbs lol and slicks.
nice build, sounds like it's got good potential. i'd consider os giken too as far as the LSD goes, probably the best on the market

Old 11-13-2013, 12:22 PM
dboard7
4th Gear
i was looking at them but the price is rather high, i think im going with the Quaife for the LSD i know a few people that run them hard on the track with great success, as far as the clutch i wish i had an extra 2k laying around to get the OS but i think my max will be just under a grand. i really dont need to replace mine now but as far as the labor goes its better to do them together then have to take it appart at another time

Old 11-13-2013, 12:24 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
i was looking at them but the price is rather high, i think im going with the Quaife for the LSD i know a few people that run them hard on the track with great success, as far as the clutch i wish i had an extra 2k laying around to get the OS but i think my max will be just under a grand. i really dont need to replace mine now but as far as the labor goes its better to do them together then have to take it appart at another time
gotcha. i actually run a cusco in my evo, runs very well, but the base mini is open obviously. i think the lsd is housed in the trans, so probably if u gotta pull stuff out should do it all then

Old 11-14-2013, 05:27 AM
dparaho
3rd Gear
I think I will be limited to a set of new tires this year if I enter the NASA and local track days. Might do some weight saving mods (i.e. free) modifications too like removing the back seat. Dboard7 are you still looking at putting a cage in your car?

Old 11-14-2013, 05:50 AM
dboard7
4th Gear
i would like to find someone that could fab one up for me for the front half of the car using the existion cage i have, i put a pick up for you to see, i know i still need to paint it but im going to wait till i get my wheels so i can match the colors

Attached Thumbnails Nasa TT-20130416_094338.jpg  
Old 11-14-2013, 06:16 AM
dparaho
3rd Gear
CS Motorsports in Lannon would do that sort of thing and I highly recommend them if you're interested. Problem is they are in WI.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:17 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
i would like to find someone that could fab one up for me for the front half of the car using the existion cage i have, i put a pick up for you to see, i know i still need to paint it but im going to wait till i get my wheels so i can match the colors
bad ***!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 AM
dboard7
4th Gear
Thanks! ill keep them in mind, it all comes down to money too. this is the most expensive hobby ever! lol but i love it.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:59 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Thanks! ill keep them in mind, it all comes down to money too. this is the most expensive hobby ever! lol but i love it.
tell me about it.. after putting tens of thousands into my evo i bought this as a daily driver to run in "stock" class for SCCA SOLO - it's still going to cost me around 4-5k to get the car up to spec, not including tires and other wear items

Old 11-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Sidney64
1st Gear
Guys,

Feel free to email at my AOL address listed above. I did the Midwestern Council thing 15 years ago and raced with NASA for 10. You don't have to go through all the HPDE groups if you have prior open track experience. However, NASA's instructors are very good and you need to be honest about your abilities. Jumping to Group 3 or 4 without being a very proficient driver will find you getting "ate up" during your sessions and mostly watching your mirrors. Group 4 and TT are open passing with full blown racecars. If you can't manage/handle the speeds some of these cars will be running (ie. 160 mph +) maybe starting in a slower group makes more sense.

If you're thinking you want to compete in TT...don't spend any money until you've completely broken down the rules and have been to an event or two. You want to compete with the most points allowed in your class and buying that one go fast goodie might put you over the limit and now you're at the bottom of the next fastest class and very, not competitive!

I loved MC but NASA is a whole other level. More tracks, more track time, and better competition. The entry fee while more expensive than MC is a much better value when you figure $'s/lap or weekend.

Sidney