Chicago MINI Motoring Club The Chicago MINI Motoring Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.chicagominiclub.com

Tires in Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 04:20 AM
wyldejackyl
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires in Chicago?

My runflats are nearly bald and I'm going to make the switch to non-RF tires. There seems to be a lot out there as far as brand and model selection, but I'm looking for who has the best prices and a lifetime balancing program. I work in DeKalb but live in Chicago; I'd prefer to get them done someplace out where I work as it would be easier to accommodate installation, but there's no Discount Tire out that way, and that's the only place I've ever bought tires from. Is there a place local or semi-local that can give comparable deals?

Old 07-29-2011, 05:45 AM
Ords
6th Gear
Have you looked at NTB?

http://www.ntb.com/Locations/IL/dekalb

I'm not sure about selection, but almost all places this day and age match price on everything.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Carmichael
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NTB's not too bad, but I usually go with TireRack.

If you want tires slightly cheaper, go with discounttiredirect.com.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:54 PM
motoballer21
Neutral
Originally Posted by wyldejackyl
My runflats are nearly bald and I'm going to make the switch to non-RF tires. There seems to be a lot out there as far as brand and model selection, but I'm looking for who has the best prices and a lifetime balancing program. I work in DeKalb but live in Chicago; I'd prefer to get them done someplace out where I work as it would be easier to accommodate installation, but there's no Discount Tire out that way, and that's the only place I've ever bought tires from. Is there a place local or semi-local that can give comparable deals?
One of my runflats went flat... lol so I have 3 that are in really good shape and im getting rid of them. I know they arent what you wanted but 3 17" runflats for $250 isnt a bad deal.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:23 AM
wyldejackyl
1st Gear
Thanks for the offer moto, but I'm going to get a set of Goodyears at Discount Tire this Tuesday. I shopped around but found they have the best pricing and also lifetime rotation (not important - I do this myself) and balancing (important- I don't have the tools).

NTB had the best price on tires but I would have gotten really beat up on labor and warranty. They didn't want to negotiate. I can't complain about DT though..I have bought tires from them in the past and was never disappointed. The paranoid car owner in me just makes sure to go home and check the torque on the bolts. They use torque sticks which aren't the most accurate and on aluminum wheels they tend to loosen a little anyway in the first day or so.

I'm looking forward to getting rid of these damn runflats! I hope everything you say about conventional tires is true improving the ride characteristics!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Carmichael
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yeah, runflats blow. My aunt's MCS has the OEM Dunlop SP Sport DSSTs and the ride is noticeably worse than my MCS with Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, especially on grooved tarmac.

Playing with tire pressures can help with normal tires, but you can't do much with runflats. I'm sure I'll change my perspective once I get a flat, though.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:54 AM
wyldejackyl
1st Gear
My tires were down to the wear indicators and were replaced again last monday. I got almost 50K out of them (Continental non-runflat). No flats until Sunday night when i pulled a fishhook out of the shoulder and replaced with a few Dynaplugs that held it long enough for me to get to work and then to get new tires.

I've used that little compressor in my trunk to fill up stroller tires, other people's tires, and kids toys - only used it once to save myself. Best investment ever over the worthless runflats!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:44 AM
N2fw
1st Gear
Just picked up a nice set of wheels for the winter from a MINIac in Madison. Anyone else have a dedicated winter set-up and what tire are you running? Right now I'm thinking either Hankook I*cept Evo's or Pirelli Sottozero's for my R60 but don't have much first hand info on either

Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 AM
wyldejackyl
1st Gear
Never bothered with the dedicated winter set; the flip side of a nice set of winter tires/wheels is a nice set of sticky rubber for the summer which I would wear out far too fast with my 130mi daily round trip commute. I still to all-seasons for economy reasons but I often wonder what it'd be like to drive this car with what amounts to glue on the road....

Old 10-21-2012, 05:05 PM
312griso8v
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by N2fw
Just picked up a nice set of wheels for the winter from a MINIac in Madison. Anyone else have a dedicated winter set-up and what tire are you running? Right now I'm thinking either Hankook I*cept Evo's or Pirelli Sottozero's for my R60 but don't have much first hand info on either
Yes, I run a dedicated winter set of Bridgestone Blizzak 195/55-16 on the stock MINI wheels. Summer set is Yokohama Advan AD08 205/45-17 on SSR Type-C wheels. I'm happy with the set up. I usually swap to winter set when temperatures are consistently below 50F overnight, sticky rubber isn't as effective in these temperature ranges.

The only complaint or recommendation I have is that I'd suggest getting familiar with resetting the low tire pressure light. It'll go off whenever you switch sets, it's pretty sensitive!

Oh and I get my wheels and tires from IND Distribution, here in Chicagoland. for them.

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2012, 07:56 PM
N2fw
1st Gear
Thanks

Thanks for all the ideas. Went with 225/50/17 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 ZP, and so far I like the ride on dry pavement. They're much quieter than the stock Bridgestones I was running on 18" wheels and hopefully the performance matches up in the snow.