Arkansas MINI Owners Klub (AMOK) AMOK is a club for enthusiasts that want to participate in the community, get together to learn about our MINIs, and love to drive curvy roads. Visit our club site at www.motoringamok.com

clearbra installation in central arkansas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Tess
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clearbra installation in central arkansas?

My service guy told me they don't do the installation, they send it out to be done in Memphis, he suggested i find a tint guy in my area.

Has anyone purchased and/or had clearbra installed in central arkansas? Can you recommend someone?

Old 07-21-2007, 04:50 AM
pt91
2nd Gear
I know someone in Memphis but not around in our area.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:37 AM
Free Spirit
Coordinator :: Arkansas MINI Owners Klub (AMOK)
pt91 HI!!!! I've wondered about you.

I checked out your gallery. Wow! Who's Ferrari and Acura? Awesome!

Tess, you mentioned "my service guy". Who's your service guy? Is it in Conway? What kind of service are you having done?

Old 07-23-2007, 08:24 AM
pt91
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Free Spirit

Tess, you mentioned "my service guy". Who's your service guy? Is it in Conway? What kind of service are you having done?
Good to hear from you. We hope to make it to a group meeting one of these days.
The ferrari was friend's and the NSX was mine. We both showed the cars more than we drove them. We have both since sold our fun cars.
I do a lot of detailing so that is the reason for all the pics.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Tess
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Free Spirit

No service being done yet, was referring to the service manager at Roadshow MINI. I emailed RS asking about the installation and he called me.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Free Spirit
Originally Posted by pt91
Good to hear from you. We hope to make it to a group meeting one of these days.
The ferrari was friend's and the NSX was mine. We both showed the cars more than we drove them. We have both since sold our fun cars.
I do a lot of detailing so that is the reason for all the pics.
I know this is off subject, but you gotta give on the NSX! How did it drive? Give all the juicy details. Stormie, my daughter, will be jealous.
I didn't know you detailed also.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:05 AM
pt91
2nd Gear
I bought the NSX with 33k miles on the odo. I was in perfect condition. Since they came out in 91 I had always wanted one. I put about 2k miles a year on it and sold it with 39k miles to a guy in cali sight unseen. He sent a closed trailer for it.
To sum it up, I will probably buy another one. Since they were hand made until 05 they are not very common. Maybe 8,000 to 9,000 deliverd to the states during the production years.
They are light, well balanced and very reliable. The view from the driver's seat is the perfect.
On the down side the interior is a little dated (but I had a DVD system installed and carbon fiber/aluminum faces on the dials) and it needs more power by today's standards. Also, aftermarket parts aren't cheap. 10k for a supercharger and you have solved the power issue.
I wish I had not sold it.
I usually have one detail on Saturday or Sunday. I am lucky and sort of pick which cars I want to do so I rarely do the soccer mom SUVs/Minivans. I have a hot water extractor, industrial steamer, rotary, PC and cyclo in my garage along with about 35 waxes and sealants. I am sort of OCD about clean cars.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:05 AM
pt91
2nd Gear
Old 07-25-2007, 05:06 AM
pt91
2nd Gear
Old 07-25-2007, 05:08 AM
pt91
2nd Gear
Old 07-25-2007, 05:08 AM
pt91
2nd Gear
Old 08-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Free Spirit
pt91, you got a good shot of your car from above. Did you have the checkerboard side mirror caps in Nov.? I didn't remember those. I got some for Christmas. They look really good on your MINI. But, of course, it's black with white stripes!

Old 08-03-2007, 05:44 AM
pt91
2nd Gear
We had the mirror caps put on before we picked up the car. I took the MINI on a road trip last weekend and finally got the ODO over 4K.
Driving 5k miles a year...this car is going to last forever.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:25 AM
mrs.mini
2nd Gear
has anyone tried the DIY clearbra-like things sold on ebay? they are cheap...so it makes me wonder if they are good. Wonder if my tint guy could do it - he is in LR.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Free Spirit
I don't know who puts on the clearbra thing. I'd check on the regular forums to see what others have done. Surely you could find a thread on it.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:04 AM
pt91
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mrs.mini
has anyone tried the DIY clearbra-like things sold on ebay? they are cheap...so it makes me wonder if they are good. Wonder if my tint guy could do it - he is in LR.
You want someone that is trained to install one. They come in varying thicknesses (mils) and qualities.
With the curves on the front of the mini's snout it will take a lot of manipulating to get it right.
I can give you the number of the guy in memphis that did our vinyls. His shop does clear bras. You could call him for a quote. I think they use 3M.
You also want to make sure your paint is polished and swirl free before the installation or you will Lock in the defects.
The clear bra is a good investment if you do a lot of highway driving.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Tess
4th Gear
I found someone. BMW of LR referred me a guy that does this for them. He said that MINI Coopers are really difficult cars to put the clear bra on but it could do it, just takes 2 hrs or so longer. He quoted me $399 for hood/fenders/mirrors and $569 for all that plus the front bumper. 10 year warranty I told him that I knew some other MINI owners needing this down so if I bring it and he does a good job I might get him some more business. He promised to make it flawless. I'm going to do some research and make sure he's not being outrageous with his price first, but will likely have this done.

I already have to scratches on the car and no clue where they came from.
So in the interest of trying to keep this car in one piece, I think I"ll spend the $$

If anyone is interested, stay tuned and I'll post some before and after pictures when I get it done, probably next week.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:14 AM
pt91
2nd Gear
If you hv swirls or other paint defects in the areas you are having covered the bra will lock them in.
If you want to bring it by I can polish the areas out for you.
If he does a good job the price not bad. What brand is he using?
How far up the hood is he going?

Old 08-07-2007, 06:52 AM
Tess
4th Gear
I noticed yesterday (I routinely do a walk around) :-) that there are 2 small chips on the hood :-( and the thought did cross my mind that those need to be fixed before the clearbra goes on.
I have to call back to make an appointment, I'll ask those questions then. I didn't ask a lot on the first call because I was late for a meeting, I just got the quote and the info I posted.

Nice of you to offer to buff those out, I may do that.. I have a friend who has two old Zs that he babies, he could do that for me also.

Do you live in LR?

Old 08-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Tess
4th Gear
It covers the front of the car basically. Front of hood, bumper, fenders, back of mirrors if they are painted. Brand is Dentashield??

Old 08-08-2007, 05:18 AM
pt91
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tess
I noticed yesterday (I routinely do a walk around) :-) that there are 2 small chips on the hood :-( and the thought did cross my mind that those need to be fixed before the clearbra goes on.
I have to call back to make an appointment, I'll ask those questions then. I didn't ask a lot on the first call because I was late for a meeting, I just got the quote and the info I posted.

Nice of you to offer to buff those out, I may do that.. I have a friend who has two old Zs that he babies, he could do that for me also.

Do you live in LR?
Yes, I am in LR. Just let me know if you need some help.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Tess
4th Gear
I guess I'm crazy, imagining things, or blind.. pick one.

I looked this morning when i dropped the car off, didn't find any chips on the hood.

When this is done, I'll be looking at getting some silver or blake bonnet stripes.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Tess
4th Gear
Ok its done, brand is Venture shield. Not having anything to compare it to, I'd say he did a pretty good but not flawless job.

You can only see if looking up close, but there are a few tiny bubbles or wrinkles. Total came to $610 which seems like a lot for something you can't see, but from what i've read in the forum, a wise investment.

He asked me to show it to all my mini friends, and to the dealer and said to bring it back next week for headlight coverage, free of charge.

I left his number at work and wont be there until Wednesday, but if anyone is interested he works out of his building on S University, across from Catfish City, next door to EZ Mart, of course he does tinting also.

His customers that day were a Lexus, a BMW and an escalade so i'm guessing have a good rep around town.

If anyone uses him, please tell him Teresa Welch sent you, he asked if I wanted tinting done so maybe if I give him some business I can get a discount out of him for that.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:42 AM
pt91
2nd Gear
glad it worked out. how far up the hood does the bra go? even with the top of the headlights?
did he wrap the side mirrors too?
can't wait to see it.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Tess
4th Gear
it goes up a a few inches further than top of the headlights, and yes he did the side mirrors..

I'll get some pics today.. just have to get some work done inside before I brave heat for car pics..

Quick Reply: clearbra installation in central arkansas?