AMVIV5 / A MINI Vacation In Vegas (2008) The forum for A Mini Vacation in Vegas, hosted by the Sin City MINI Club.

California Caravans

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:42 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
California Caravans

I will be leaving the San Jose area around 11am on Thursday morning to head to Vegas. I'll be taking the 101-152-5-46-99-58-15 route and would love to caravan with anyone along the way.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are looking for people near you to caravan with, check out www.amviv.com/attendees.htm for the list sorted by state and city. Note that the data has not been edited or verified.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:36 PM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wednesday from the Bay Area via Modesto and Sierra's

I'm not sure how realistic this is, but I'm thinking about a 7am departure from my home on the Peninsula on Wednesday morning, heading over to Modesto and then:

Modesto --> 108 to Bridgeport --> 120 to Benton --> 6 to Tenopah --> 95 to Las Vegas
(Microsoft Streets and Trips gives an ETA of around 7pm.)

I'm not planning on lingering at any stops for very long other than "bio" breaks.

If anyone has suggestions or would like to meet up for this, let me know.

Last edited by unixgal; 03-09-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:17 AM
mini pooper
6th Gear
Here are a few of the caravans set up on the Redwood Empire Mini Enthusiasts website. All are welcome to join in.

Tuesday 3/25 - Leaving Sacramento at 0430 - Leave Manteca with the Bay Area folks at 0600 - Breakfast in Bakersfield - 58 straight thru to Vegas with stops at Four Corners and Primm and as needed.

Tuesday 3/25 / Wednesday 3/26- Taking 395 down the backside of the Sierras, weather permitting. Leaving Tuesday for meet up and stayover in Reno or Bishop, continuing to Vegas on Wednesday. Exact timing and route TBA

Thursday 3/27 Morning Caravan Traveling Hwy 99-58-15.
Leaving Fairfield at 5am, traveling hwy 12-99 Lodi. Possible meet in lodi by 6am. Meet in Manteca exit 120E/99 at starbucks by 6:30am. Contact-Everardo everardoval@netzero.net or Hans for more info

Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 PM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Hey Norm,

Thanks for the post... I had already checked the REME calendar, but none of the listings are for a Wednesday travel day.

Originally Posted by mini pooper
Here are a few of the caravans set up on the Redwood Empire Mini Enthusiasts website. All are welcome to join in.

Tuesday 3/25 - Leaving Sacramento at 0430 - Leave Manteca with the Bay Area folks at 0600 - Breakfast in Bakersfield - 58 straight thru to Vegas with stops at Four Corners and Primm and as needed.

Tuesday 3/25 / Wednesday 3/26- Taking 395 down the backside of the Sierras, weather permitting. Leaving Tuesday for meet up and stayover in Reno or Bishop, continuing to Vegas on Wednesday. Exact timing and route TBA

Thursday 3/27 Morning Caravan Traveling Hwy 99-58-15.
Leaving Fairfield at 5am, traveling hwy 12-99 Lodi. Possible meet in lodi by 6am. Meet in Manteca exit 120E/99 at starbucks by 6:30am. Contact-Everardo everardoval@netzero.net or Hans for more info

Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 PM
mini pooper
6th Gear
I am leaving on Monday 3/24 and towing. I'll be in Tuesday PM. I am sure no-one wants to caravan with me at that speed. But I will be there to set up the booth, projector & big screen, sound system, cruzin' cooler, pop-corn machine, etc. I'll even leave a "light on in the window" and a cold beer in the cooler , so when you arrive you'll know where to find me.

Drive safe!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:53 AM
kazlot
4th Gear
California Caravans

unixgal,

You might want to check this site: http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi before leaving for AMVIV on Wednesday.
Some of the passes and higher elevations can be closed intermittently till early summer.

I'm picking up my buddy in Los Gatos, 6 to 7 a.m., and we are going the less scenic route.
That's 85, 101, 152, 5, 46, 99, 58, 15 to the Palace Station.

That's known as the quicker, about 8 hours without stops, but bored to tears route!

Hope this helps...

Originally Posted by unixgal
I'm not sure how realistic this is, but I'm thinking about a 7am departure from my home on the Peninsula on Wednesday morning, heading over to Modesto and then:

Modesto --> 108 to Bridgeport --> 120 to Benton --> 6 to Tenopah --> 95 to Las Vegas
(Microsoft Streets and Trips gives an ETA of around 7pm.)

I'm not planning on lingering at any stops for very long other than "bio" breaks.

If anyone has suggestions or would like to meet up for this, let me know.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 PM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Hey kazlot,

I've been rethinking my extremely ambitious route for various reasons in addition to the near 100% chance that the passes are closed. I'm now taking additional time off after AMVIV to have some roaming and relaxation time so I'm leaning towards a simple and quick trip to Vegas would be a wiser choice. After all, why start a vacation all pooped out with so much motoring laying ahead, right?

So, would you and/or your friend mind adding another MINI to your caravan?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:49 AM
70spop
6th Gear
I'm headed down on Wednesday from Sacramento. I'm planning on leaving around 6:00 A.M.ish. Just going down 99 to 58 to 15. Can I meet up with anyone, or does anyone want to meet up with me somewhere along the way?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 AM
checkers
5th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
We are meeting up with Midcal mini in Fresno around 9:00am. Then going the same way you are, if you want to join I'm sure it will be ok. The only thing is one of the guys are towing, so it will be a little slow. Let me know and we will fined a meeting place.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:08 AM
70spop
6th Gear
Hmmm, not sure that I want to leave Sac early enough to be in Fresno by 9:00, though.

I've been leaving at around 6:00 and still get into Vegas around 4:00 pm. And that includes stops for lunch, gas and potty breaks. Of course, I'm going 130mph in between. just kidding.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:32 PM
checkers
5th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
I live in Salida and thats about an hour from Sac and A little over an hour to Fresno. So if you leave at 6:00am you should be in Fresno around 8:00 to 9:00 easy, but thats up to you. I know that we will also make stops along the way for one thing or the other.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:01 PM
kazlot
4th Gear
California Caravans

unixgal,

I talked to my buddy this afternoon and he wants to change our departure day, time and route.

He wants to drive to Santa Barbara Tuesday and then to Vegas on Wednesday. That would be something a little more scenic and less direct then I had planned. A lot less boring too.

Being that my wife likes that I'll be gone a day longer who am I to complain. Besides he said that he's buying the room and the gas.

Hope to see you in Vegas...

Originally Posted by unixgal
Hey kazlot,

I've been rethinking my extremely ambitious route for various reasons in addition to the near 100% chance that the passes are closed. I'm now taking additional time off after AMVIV to have some roaming and relaxation time so I'm leaning towards a simple and quick trip to Vegas would be a wiser choice. After all, why start a vacation all pooped out with so much motoring laying ahead, right?

So, would you and/or your friend mind adding another MINI to your caravan?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:43 PM
wikedgolf
6th Gear
leaving early friday morning... i live in victorville if any one wants to meet up on the way out from the 15

Old 03-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Super Dave
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wikedgolf
leaving early friday morning... i live in victorville if any one wants to meet up on the way out from the 15
Hey Wikedgolf! I work in vville and have a BRG MINI, I'll look for you around town. But we are leaving after school on Friday, hope to be there for the cruise down the strip.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:18 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini pooper
I am leaving on Monday 3/24 and towing. I'll be in Tuesday PM. I am sure no-one wants to caravan with me at that speed. But I will be there to set up the booth, projector & big screen, sound system, cruzin' cooler, pop-corn machine, etc. I'll even leave a "light on in the window" and a cold beer in the cooler , so when you arrive you'll know where to find me.

Drive safe!
mini pooper:
be sure to park on the top floor of the garage ... right next to the DS/W - that would be mine!
I'm driving down Monday morning - stopping in Bakersfield for a few hours - anybody want to caravan?

T

Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 PM
wikedgolf
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Super Dave
Hey Wikedgolf! I work in vville and have a BRG MINI, I'll look for you around town. But we are leaving after school on Friday, hope to be there for the cruise down the strip.
Really!!! i'm all ways looking for minis around town! where abouts do u work?

I live near the base.

Do u ever see a red S with a black roof with the front euro plate that reads redrum. Thats kelli, we go to the ONT meets every week.. u should stop by!

Old 03-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
MINIs coming from Santa Clara

We're leaving from Santa Clara on Wednesday morning around 6-7 AM and taking the route Kazlot has laid out below. 2 MINIs, one family. Hope it only takes 8 hrs outside of breaks/stops for fuel, etc

Originally Posted by kazlot
unixgal,

You might want to check this site: http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi before leaving for AMVIV on Wednesday.
Some of the passes and higher elevations can be closed intermittently till early summer.

I'm picking up my buddy in Los Gatos, 6 to 7 a.m., and we are going the less scenic route.
That's 85, 101, 152, 5, 46, 99, 58, 15 to the Palace Station.

That's known as the quicker, about 8 hours without stops, but bored to tears route!

Hope this helps...

Old 03-22-2008, 06:43 PM
irieman
5th Gear
Hey Melissa- [edit: n/m. i didn't see the "friday morning" part! nonetheless...] See ya there! (I still owe you dinner!)

Originally Posted by wikedgolf

Last edited by irieman; 03-22-2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: edited for content.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:38 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Chief_Charlie
We're leaving from Santa Clara on Wednesday morning around 6-7 AM and taking the route Kazlot has laid out below. 2 MINIs, one family. Hope it only takes 8 hrs outside of breaks/stops for fuel, etc
Charlie,
You should be able to do it in 8-hours ... the only "unknown" is highway 15, into Vegas - sometimes it can get backed up for no apparent reason.

T

Old 03-23-2008, 12:19 AM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Oooh, Santa Clara around 6-7 am... I can handle that. SB 101 shouldn't be too bad at that hour.

I'll drop you a PM

Old 03-23-2008, 11:16 AM
blacknblue
Photographer / Beer Dude
I'm leaving early Thursday morning (am 15 miles from downtown L.A.) and will post traffic situations on my Twitter for as long as I'm in cellular service zones.

If you're already on Twitter, just click to follow me and set your notifications to "Device updates" on. After AMVIV, you can always stop following.

If not on Twitter, why not check it out.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:41 PM
kazlot
4th Gear
California Caravans

Charlie,

On MapQuest it's 525.8 miles, 8 hours 3 minutes driving time, from my buddy's place just off of Union Ave. and hi-way 85 in Los Gatos. Union is about 4 miles south of the 17 and 85 connector.

I think that's should be pretty close in time and miles for you in Santa Clara as well.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kazlot
Charlie,

On MapQuest it's 525.8 miles, 8 hours 3 minutes driving time, from my buddy's place just off of Union Ave. and hi-way 85 in Los Gatos. Union is about 4 miles south of the 17 and 85 connector.

I think that's should be pretty close in time and miles for you in Santa Clara as well.

Thanks Lauryn. You will.
Are you doing the track day/Phil Wicks event as you planned?

Old 03-24-2008, 03:45 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
caravan

[quote=Chief_Charlie;2112801]We're leaving from Santa Clara on Wednesday morning around 6-7 AM and taking the route Kazlot has laid out below. 2 MINIs, one family. Hope it only takes 8 hrs outside of breaks/stops for fuel, etc[/qu

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 03-24-2008 at 05:16 AM.

Quick Reply: California Caravans