All other MINI parts and items for Sale (archive) Archived - Everything for sale that is not a car or wheels and tires (but is MINI/Mini-related)

Selling protocol

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Selling protocol

[rant]

Maybe this is just me, but when someone responds first to a "for sale" message and is obviously interested, I believe the seller should run that offer to its logical conclusion before selling it to someone else. I asked a few (in my opinion reasonable) questions about the item that I had not laid eyes on (no pictures were available), sent a paypal payment for it, and then got it refunded because it was already sold to someone who responded after I did.

Excuse me if I'm cranky about this, but I think I have a right to be.

[/rant]

Old 05-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm assuming you told the seller you are sending payment? If so, I agree with you.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:22 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Me Too

Old 05-10-2007, 01:26 PM
dwjj
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think asking a question (without saying "I'll Buy It") gives you any rights. To me it's the first one that says "I'll Buy It". It's the order of who commits to buying it first that's important.

Also ordering might be questionable. Someone could PM first and not post in a thread. I don't know that I'd assume because I posted first, that the other person hadn't PM'd first. You can only see part of the exchanges.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I'm assuming you told the seller you are sending payment? If so, I agree with you.
I did but only moments before I actully did. I will add my first PM to the seller (9 minutes after the original post) was "I got dibs..." and then proceeded to ask some questions

Old 05-10-2007, 01:28 PM
myzamboni
5th Gear
I know it sucks, but money talks. If someone is willing to put up the money for the item it should be theirs. I understand that you probably had reasonable questions, but someone wanted that item based on the same information you read, and ponied up the money. This same topic has come up on another auto forum I frequent.

I look at it this way. . . If it was meant to be, it was meant to be.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Fine, then say "first to send money wins" and the rules are clear. Besides, the ad said nothing more than the name of the item. No description of it's condition or anything. I asked for his paypal address; it was clear I wanted it. Not only sucks, but it's rude.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:40 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
I've always worked with the first person, even though on at least a couple of occassions I got offered later, namely more money. I made an agreement, and I will keep it unless that person does something to merit otherwise.

Honor and respect mean a lot to some of us... to others, it means squat if they can get a few more bucks. Through a multitude of experiences, I've probably lost-out on a combined 200 bucks in my life. Nothing nearly worth the gratitifcation expressed from those who appreciated our sincere dealings, and in some cases we became friends, with like reciprocation. Invaluable...

Old 05-10-2007, 01:58 PM
dwjj
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sin MINI
Fine, then say "first to send money wins" and the rules are clear. Besides, the ad said nothing more than the name of the item. No description of it's condition or anything. I asked for his paypal address; it was clear I wanted it. Not only sucks, but it's rude.
Maybe the other person PM'd first-maybe you weren't first contacting them. Maybe you had a question, but the other person said they'd buy it first. Maybe your intentions weren't clear enough-that's your responsibility.

If I had someone asking me questions, and another person said "I'll buy it", I'm going to go with the second person.

It's an organizer. I'd assume that it was in decent shape-if it wasn't I'd assume that they would have said something. The name is enough of a description for something like that. Of course that's just me.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:03 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TonyB
I've always worked with the first person, even though on at least a couple of occassions I got offered later, namely more money. I made an agreement, and I will keep it unless that person does something to merit otherwise.

Honor and respect mean a lot to some of us... to others, it means squat if they can get a few more bucks. Through a multitude of experiences, I've probably lost-out on a combined 200 bucks in my life. Nothing nearly worth the gratitifcation expressed from those who appreciated our sincere dealings, and in some cases we became friends, with like reciprocation. Invaluable...
I'm with Tony here. I've bought and sold a bunch of stuff here on NAM and always give the first person to respond the first oppertunity.

What bothers me some is when people quickly put in PM Sent and don't follow through. I've had that happen a few times.

Ofen I will just PM the seller with my interest and not post on NAM, no one needs to know what I buy if I don't want it known.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
I sent a PM, followed immediately with a "PM sent message". Seller agreed I was first to respond. Granted, he apologized (thanks for that...) but I just thought this warranted discussion to other potential sellers.

1) make sure the rules are clear
2) If you considering going to someone else because you're in a hurry, please tell the first person...they may go ahead and commit, and if not then their loss (I had no idea someone else was interested nor that the seller was in a hurry)

Old 05-10-2007, 02:20 PM
dwjj
6th Gear
Well, when you said "rant" and "cranky" I didn't think you were wanting a forum to logically discuss for others' benefits... (or are you really wanting to chastise other sellers ahead of time???)

I'd just chalk this up to misunderstandings, and move on.