Questions about Owning a Mini in AK

Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Plassfan Seven
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions about Owning a Mini in AK

Hi, I live on the Kenai Peninsula and test drove a 2010 Mini Cooper briefly today in Anchorage.

I figured I'd ask seasoned Alaska Mini owners:
  • It's 30 above, presently, and altho it was warm inside the car, it just didnt seem to push out the heat like my Subaru Forrester (2001). So I am wondering if these cars can keep you warm when it's -20 below.....?
  • How do they drive in the snow, ice, etc...
I would love to own one of these....it wont be long til summer, and I can FULLY justify this in the summer.....but having a hard time justifying in the winter.

My main issue is heat. I do not have a garage yet, and I must have a WARM WARM car in the winter...one that will keep me toasty warm while driving at -20 below.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks...

Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 AM
DahKGB
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey!
I just got my mini this year and didnt really think much about the heating until after cause i bought mine in the summer. They take some time to get good and warm ive noticed but i start mine...10-15 mins before i get in and when i do im toasty. I live up in anchorage so we dont see quiet the same temperatures that you guys get but its pretty close. I dont have a garage or a block heater installed on mine either. Hope that helps! If not hit me up and ill answer what i can!
Dahkgb

Old 03-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Ween
3rd Gear
Also, the seat heaters are worth their weight in gold if you have that option in your MINI! Even on the lowest setting, they're almost *too* warm...

Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 AM
DahKGB
1st Gear
I dont have seat heaters :( cold leather for me

Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Ween
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DahKGB
I dont have seat heaters :( cold leather for me
Sounds like you have two options:

1) Time machine

2) Don't forget to order that option on your next MINI!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:16 AM
DahKGB
1st Gear
Sadly my Time machine blew up recently on an excursion to the Jurassic Period. Looks like option 2 or 3 (aftermarket seat heaters)

Old 03-23-2014, 05:11 PM
akminigirl
Neutral
Sorry for the delay in posting! We have an 04 Cooper (with heated seats), bought it new and have owned it here in Alaska for 10 years. We drive this all year long with no problems at all! It handles great in the snow (although the deeper snow is a challenge, but that is what the truck is for). We park ours outside all year long! Never had a problem with it in the winter! You won't regret it, they are awesome cars to drive. The Motoring club here in Alaska does rally's in the fairer weather months as well, too much fun, great group of MINI motoring fans!

Old 04-04-2015, 08:53 AM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
That's great to hear akminigirl! I'll be moving up to Seward AK in July from OR, and will be parking my MINI outside all year (at least for now). I have a 2013 R56s, with aftermarket heated seats. I've always felt that MINIs handle great in snow, as long as you have really good tires and the snow does not get too deep. I'm looking forward to the rally's!

Old 04-04-2015, 05:05 PM
akminigirl
Neutral
Moving to Alaska!

Awesome News Zephyr1,

Our MINI's (we own 2 , a R53 and a R60) are the only ones in Seward now so it will be great to see another MINI around town! Make sure to check out the AK MINI Club website for upcoming summer rally's (I think we have over 100 members from all over Alaska) and you can like us on Facebook.
http://www.miniak.club

See you this summer!

Old 08-18-2015, 05:35 AM
nolimit
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we have had our 2005 since new. before even getting this car home, It was bought at Ralph Schomp mini in Denver, I made a stop in Vancouver BC. Richmond Mini. This was to get a block heater installed there was no U.S. part number for one and the Denver Dealership had no clue what I was even talking about. But the Canada dealers did have them and they were official Mini parts.
Besides that all that is needed for the extreme of Fairbanks is a battery warmer or trickle charger, and oil pan heater. We keep the car inside at home but work it is outside more than 8 hours a day. These Items make getting the car started easier and it will be warmer inside quicker. Also having the Coolant adjusted to -60f will ensure your coolant not to freeze. No need to switch oil to a different grade stock 5w-30w is good all year long. yes the heated seats are a must plus with the cold weather package the mirrors never get frosted either.
Cheers
Shawn

any specific questions feel free to message or reply here