Alabama Motoring Society: BAMA and Rocket City The forum for the Alabama Motoring Society.
Visit the BAMA club site at www.bamamini.com
Visit the Rocket City MINI club site at www.rocketcitymini.com

Tire question for this area

Old 06-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Horatio
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire question for this area

Do you guys prefer the OEM performance or all season 16'' run flats for the local area?

Old 06-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most people end up switching to regular (non-runflat) tires once the stock ones are gone. The extremely high price of run-flats combined with the fact that a flat runflat is still a flat tire that needs replacing ASAP makes them very unattractive in the long run. However, if you get a flat in bad weather or in heavy traffic, the runflats can at least get you a few miles down the road to a safer place to deal with the problem.

Personally, I would go with the performance ones if I planned on "spirited" driving. But if I was just using my MINI as a commuter vehicle and didn't really care about maximum cornering or accelleration, I'd get the all-seasons since they will last a little longer. But no matter what, I'd switch to regular tires once I burned up the set that came on the car.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:36 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
I prefer summer performance tires living here. The last real snow we had was in 1993 & the performance tires handle dry & wet quite well

Old 06-10-2008, 11:56 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Run flats are noisy, expensive, and provide a harsh ride. If I'd known this, I would not have gotten them in the first place. My wife broke two of them on two separate occassions by hitting potholes at speed on the interstate. She was probably driving 65 to 75 mph. The first time it happened, the wheel also broke. It actully split down the middle. That time I had to get tire and wheel (used). Still though, the dumb tires are >$300 each.

After they wore out, I replaced them with Falken FK 452. They were about $80 each, provide a very nice ride, handle very well, and are quiet. Can't say that about run flats.

Oh, I use 17 inch wheels.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Horatio
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like I would much prefer regular to run-flats, but the configurator on the miniusa site only has them as an option on the MCS. Is there a way to get non-runflats on the MCS other than just ordering them and then switcing out when they wear out?

Old 06-11-2008, 06:27 AM
emmathecheesedog
Banned
Old 06-11-2008, 06:49 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Horatio
Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like I would much prefer regular to run-flats, but the configurator on the miniusa site only has them as an option on the MCS. Is there a way to get non-runflats on the MCS other than just ordering them and then switcing out when they wear out?
You can sell your runflats as soon as you take delivery of the MINI (but you won't get much for them). I liked my RF tires. I had the Pirelli Eufori performance ones & those suckers wouldn't let go in a corner at all. I never had one bit of trouble out of them for the 17K miles I had them

Old 06-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Apple
6th Gear
My current cooper has runflats and they are noisy, my new one that is ordered has stock tires keep in mind if the runflats get a flat, you cant fix them you have to replace them:(