Okay, so the run groups are full up... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:13 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, so the run groups are full up... now what?

It’s been hit and miss trying to get to go to MOTD. Every year I miss it because of track events but this year, I refuse to miss it.

So, finally, I booked a room and managed to register tonight.

I understand I’m waaaay late but what happens when there is 400-500 cars and the run groups are only 30-60 cars limited?

Surely there will be some “rogue” runs??

Also, any odds of still getting t-shirts, any left over or perhaps someone that can’t attend?

Thanks, see ya’ll there.

Mark

Old 04-14-2011, 07:25 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Looking forward to finally meeting you, Mark!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:31 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
Looking forward to finally meeting you, Mark!
Me too... errr, I mean meet you, not me...lol.

I’ll be in the orange mini.

:D

Mark

Old 04-14-2011, 08:05 PM
maacodale
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Mark, we'll look for ya out there. Don't worry about the runs. There are MINI's everywhere. Just get in the car and drive, you'll find someone heading somewhere all the time. There are always smaller groups doing a quick run. And worse case, just drive. there are a lot of great roads. The Dragon is fun and needs to be done a time or two just to get do it. But all the roads around there are just as much, if not more fun. Especially if you like sweepers versus tight hairpins on the Dragon.

But one way or another, I'd love to meet ya and say hi.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:09 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
I waited until the last minute as well Mark. I've mapped out some of the routes I was interested in to put on my GPS, so if all else fails, I'll just hit the road. I'm figuring I'll hook up with some THMMC or HRMINI folks or some new folks and ad hoc something.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Glad to hear you're coming, Mark. Looking forward to meet you and see the MINI.

You get a place at Fontana?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:18 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Hey guys... Thanks, I figured they’ll be groups out driving all the time. From past experience with stuff like this, I’ve found the more aggressive drivers will go out and find have some rogue covert runs...lol.

It will be great to meet so many of you, I really can’t wait.

Dale, I agree... Cherohola skyway has some 100+mph sweepers (at least on sportbikes) where tail of the dragon is much more technical. I’ve run them both for yeaaars and really prefer some of the bigger, faster sweeping turns than the tight stuff. I think the tight stuff was done best in my vette cause it was rear wheel drive and you could sling the rear end around.

I’m staying at a place called Phillips motel. It’s about 10-15 minutes (supposedly) from TOTD. Never been there and really wasn’t that fussy since I registered so late.

Mark

Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
I'm finally registered also but sadly I'm only gonna be able to go for Saturday.
No room, nobody with me, could not talk a passenger into going. So by god I'm going solo and sleeping in the MINI. My wife thinks I've lost my freaking mind but I can't miss it. Somebody save me a beer!!!

Old 04-15-2011, 03:26 PM
shrimpy
1st Gear
Phillips owns most of Robbinsville. That hotel is OK (not fancy but OK)
There are no bad roads in the area. Just drive. Make sure you go over the CHerahola Pky and plan to have lunch in Tellico Plains. 129 (the dragon) is way over driven, over patroled, and over rated IMHO. There are so many great roads around that you can have all to your self. Bring your GPS (just so you can get home) and just go drive.

I lived in Asheville for 3 years and am an avid motorcycle rider (not Harleys)
Go to Bryson City and find "the road to nowhere" Also downtown has a bunch of little shops and stuff

Old 04-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
I will be on the lookout for you Mark. I will be following the THHMC people around. I hear there are people going out all the time. I think the only run I am gonna do that is a part of MOTD will be the Midnight Run. I also hear that even though they are full, they do not count cars, so if you show up, you can go.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:34 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not uncommon for folks to just get on the 2-way radios and say "anyone what to do a Dragon run" or "anyone up for a Cherohala drive". And then meet at the general store.

There were tweny extra MOTD shirts ordered that will be sold on a first come, first sold basis. We will also have order forms for MOTD short, longsleeve, regular and ladies cut shirts. These will be $20.00 and will include shipping to your house after the event

Old 04-16-2011, 04:31 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Laardilla21
I will be on the lookout for you Mark. I will be following the THHMC people around. I hear there are people going out all the time. I think the only run I am gonna do that is a part of MOTD will be the Midnight Run. I also hear that even though they are full, they do not count cars, so if you show up, you can go.
Well, of all cars, I should be pretty easy to find... just look for the great pumpkin (God, I can’t believe I just called Oscar a pumpkin...lol)

I’m actually getting excited about this event... can’t wait.

Mark

Old 04-16-2011, 05:38 AM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Oscar can be a pumpkin. Someone called my car a sweet tart the other day. Haha.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:44 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Laardilla21
Oscar can be a pumpkin. Someone called my car a sweet tart the other day. Haha.

That's funny... that's what I call my ex wife... a sweet "tart" with emphasis on tart.

:D

Mark

Old 04-17-2011, 07:23 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you are interested in the Thurs or Sat Sunrise drive, send me a PM. If you will be at Fontana on Wed morning, I have a drive for you too!

I can also offer map packets for a few other runs to do yourself:

The Scenic Smoky Mountain Drive:This is the route we will follow on both of the Sunrise drives and the pre-drive that is happening on Wednesday morning.
http://www.minisonthedragon.com/file...Drive_2011.pdf

The Highlands Run: I lead this drive from Fontana to Highlands, NC in 2008. Highlands is a beautiful little town that has kept a German mountain village look to the downtown area. There are lots of little shops, restaurants and antique stores to visit. There is also a very cool drive-thru waterfall (Bridal Veil Falls) a few miles north of town.
http://www.focusoa.com/HighlandsDrive2008-Part1of2.pdf
http://www.focusoa.com/HighlandsDrive2008-Part2of2.pdf
PS: If you make it down to Highlands, be sure to find Horse Cove Road. If you take Main street into downtown highlands and continue straight, it becomes Horse Cove Rd on the east side of town. Continue on for 2-3 minutes and it becomes a very tight 2 lane road, but drops 1000 feet of elevation in 3000 feet of road (a 30% grade on average!!!). It is a HILARIOUS DRIVE! Some of the hairpins are so tight that I swear I saw my own rear bumper on some of the turns.

The Cherohala Skyway Run:In 2006 and again in 2008, I lead a Wednesday morning run from Cleveland, TN (north of Chatanooga) to Robbinsville, over the Cherohala Skyway. This is a GORGEOUS road with tons of scenic overlooks and wonderful twisty turns. It hits an elevation of over 5000 ft, so it can be quite cool at the top (remnants of snow in the deep shadows are common in April), so you hard-core 'vert owners need to take a jacket.
http://www.focusoa.com/MOTD/CherohalaSkywayRun2008.pdf

Note: On all drives, it has been at least 2 years since I've seen the roads myself... sometimes more like 3 or 4. These maps were accurate when I last used them, but please take your own maps / GPS and do some extra planning so you don't get hopelessly lost! :D