MBOTD (Mountain Biking On The Dragon)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:39 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MBOTD (Mountain Biking On The Dragon)

Anyone interested? I don't have a time set up yet (we can discuss, but it won't be Friday morning as I'm helping run Dragon Draggin').

Tsali is really excellent, not technically difficult but beautiful trails. I'm bringing a Trusty Steed, just haven't decided on whether to bring the old school 21lb racing hardtail (Santana!), or the Big Nineties full-beam suspension (Klein).

And, answering some questions from previous cycling events at the Dragon:
- No, there's really no place near Fontana to ride a road bike safely - sorry
- I've heard the trails at Fontana are also cool, but have never ridden them
- Great to have a bike at Fontana for getting around
- Trails at Tsali are not "rail trail" easy, but are not very technical either. I don't remember any water crossings or log ramps or stunts, but conditions can change over time
- While we do get some good-to-great riders, the pace of the ride will be "generally reasonable". We typically go at our own paces and regroup periodically. The point isn't to kill ourselves, but to get the heart rate up a bit and have a good time.
- OK, OK, beforehand everyone will be laying down the "I'm out of shape" talk, the "it's been a long winter" line will be used, along with "I'm SOOOooo out of shape"...... and we'll have the typical post-ride smack talk in the parking lot! In other words, a great ride.
- WEAR A HELMET
- Ride at your own risk, at your own pace, be safe

As for transporting bikes on'in a Mini:
- Hitch racks are excellent, strap on racks work, as do roof racks, or trailer racks
- Removing both wheels means you can put all but the largest bikes inside

Last edited by DixonL2; 01-18-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 AM
bbailey_33
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DixonL_2:

Are you talking about the trails where the WaterFall hike is in Bryson? or a more Bike oriented trail system? pls include lat/lon if you can.

FYI: I've ridden TSALI trails many times in the past... Very nice, alot of vertical; 200' (for a Florida rider). TSALI is very close to this area, 20 minutes from Bryson (right off 28). 35-24-29/83-35-15

Old 01-18-2011, 11:09 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
<crud> Thank you - my mistake!

I actually meant Tsali... thanks for the catch. I've corrected the above (wherever you see the word Tsali, it used to say Nantahala, which is a fun word to say and to type, but not when you actually mean "Tsali"!)

Last year we left from Fontana, it's about a 30 minute drive east and right off 28. I'm working through the scheduling and will consider requests! I'm usually there early, perhaps Wednesday morning...

Old 01-18-2011, 12:26 PM
bbailey_33
2nd Gear
I was just wanting to make sure, not trying to correct you.
PDF for those interested in seeing more http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...i_brochure.pdf
I think we're both right... I guess the whole area is Nantahala Forest, with Tsali being one mountain in that Forest... I gave up getting it straight along time ago.. This is my first MOTD, but I have relatives who live in Bryson, so I've been there a bunch but haven't brought the bike up in 6 yrs.

Wed AM sounds good... wife can hang with her sis. I'll keep checking back here and event schedule when it's gets closer.

p.s. If not enough interest in this from others, I'd still like to ride there or we can ride the trails around Bryson waterfalls too, but maybe too far from Fontana for you. We'll figure it out...

We need a t-shirt for this event!!!!

Last edited by bbailey_33; 01-18-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am in!

Old 01-19-2011, 06:24 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
I'd love to do T-shirts, but the most we've had on this event is 6, the least was (ahem) two... and I've got huge tupperware BINS full of Mini Club T-shirts in the basement already (for PittStop), but the riding is SO worth it I'm bringing the bike anyway. Riding the hills around Bryson sounds cool, we usually stay at a cabin between Fontana and Bryson anyway.

I'll be doing the MOTD planning this weekend and will advise on days and times... it's possible that I'll be there as early as Monday and be interested in a ride...

Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 AM
bbailey_33
2nd Gear
We should be there Sunday night... so Monday might be good for me too.
We'll figure a way to stay in contact once "on-site"... if everybody interested is capable of being online up there, PM-ing here should work nicely.

p.s. not sure how they're used during event, but what's your handle on MOTD? mine is "Quiet Flight"

Last edited by bbailey_33; 01-19-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Check the various "newbie" threads (which you might not technically qualify for since you've been to the area)... PMing should work if folks can get online. I know Verizon had nothing in the area the past few years though.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Ladyvalea
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trestle mountain biking fun!! when we went to MITM at Winter park Co.. I had Mini Cooper fun and bike fun! but, I must say there was a lot of down hill tech riding and I was out of breath being it 12,000 feet.. will there be a lift to take us up the hill??? tee-hee!!!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:54 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
None of the hills are that large here! How's Wednesday or Thursday afternoon? I'm thinking just at or after lunch... back in time for a shower before the Welcome Dinner or Bingo...