Detailing on the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:48 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Detailing on the Dragon

Once again, I beg forgiveness for my newbieness.
This is probably a silly question, but, here goes.

First, I am making a public admission.
I am not the kind to "detail" Little Wing.
However, I promise to learn how to make her shine at her best.
Currently, her idea of a good wash is going through that automatic thing.

In looking at pictures of past MOTD MINIs, they all look gorgeous.
What is the trick for detailing a car while away from home?
I have an image of one hose somewhere and 400 miniacs waiting their turn.
That just can't be right.

How does everyone keep their MINIs so beautiful while at MOTD?
Do y'all have little MINI detailing travel kits?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.TIA

Old 02-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
Heyyy LW, Last year, there were 2 stations that are set up with hoses etc... not sure if there is product there but, there is definite a place to wash!

Old 02-15-2010, 10:50 AM
ARTSJCW
6th Gear
In the past Detailers Paradise has been there with their products that you can try before you buy. Not sure if that will be the case or not this year. I need to check the vendor list....but I bet somebody will let you borrow some cleaning supplies if you need some.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:06 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Last year Detailers Paradise was unable to attend, but was kind enough to send some supplies. Not sure if they will do the same this year or not. Either way, we will have at least two wash stations set up again this year with buckets, hoses, soap and some cheapy wash cloths or sponges. They will be at the same location as last year. One by the General Store and one by the small pavillion in front of the Rec Hall.

Maybe someone with some detailing skills would like to offer a cleaning/detailing talk on a specific day and time.....hint...hint...

And to address the original question. For the Dragon, I travel with a small plastic container (about the size of a shoebox) that I keep a drying cloth, some black wow and applicator for my trim and some tire shine.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:43 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
Yes, the wash stations were great.
And I always bring my own wash mit and drying towel. it just makes it that much easier.
And it doesn't hurt to bring along some of your favorite quick detailing supplies. Just in case ..

Old 02-15-2010, 08:07 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Thanks for the replies.
I know that Little Wing will need a lot of sprucing up after the drive from FL in addition to all the motoring at MOTD.
All the MINIs look so good in the pictures of past MOTD.
It's good to know there are facilities to freshening up!

Now, just to figure out what to do about me...

Old 02-16-2010, 06:07 AM
thewebgeek
2nd Gear
LittleWing,

If you are looking to really make your MINI shine, head over to the Detailing 101 forum and have a look around. I can tell you I went from detailing n00b to OC about it in about one summer reading and asking questions in that forum!

This will be my first Dragon as well and I look forward to seeing you all there!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Tom2112
2nd Gear
Little Wing, there's also places for more "conventional" car washing. There's a drive-in car wash in Robinsville, which is just a few miles away from the Dragon. It's one of those pump-quarters-in-and-wash-it-yourself deals. Going there will probably save you time, as the drive there and back is probably shorter than the line for the two hoses.

As for detailing - I'm new to the Mini, but not to cleaning - I carry a small bucket in the boot.

Here's what you probably want to carry with you in that bucket and why:
  • Your own sponge or wash mit (you don't want to use the brush at the car wash as it will have dirt in it that will scratch your paint)
  • A few microfiber towels (great for use with detail spray and for quick cleanups on the run)
  • Detail spray (very useful for quick cleanups - next best thing to a real car wash)
  • Wheel brush and Wheel cleaner spray (gotta get all that brake dust off the wheels somehow)
  • Soap (if you plan to use the hose wash stations)
  • Chamois or California Water Blade (for drying the car without water spots - the water blade is like a squeegee, purists won't use them because if you're not careful you can end up with a speck of dirt under the squeegee and be dragging scratches over your car)
  • California Car Duster (it's like an old rag mop that picks up dust off your car - they're GREAT for any dark colored vehicles that really show the dust)
  • Glass Cleaner and Paper Towels
Check out http://calcarduster.com for those the California Water Blade and the California Car Duster. They run $20 each, but are worth every penny IMHO. You may find them at Wal-Mart for a buck or two cheaper in the automotive section.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:18 PM
thewebgeek
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tom2112
Going there will probably save you time, as the drive there and back is probably shorter than the line for the two hoses.
Good to know. Is there a time of day that is better or worse for hitting the wash stations at the Dragon?

Old 02-16-2010, 04:25 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Thanks for all the great tips.
We will be staying in Robbinsville so the DIY wash will work out great for us.

It is a relief to see that others use automatic car washes too.
I thought that it was really taboo in the MINI world .
Even I have to admit that they don't get the brake dust off the wheels.

When I bought Little Wing, the dealer gave me a kit of cleaning products.
I just laughed and told him that I don't wash cars, I drive through.
He looked like he was going to cry.
Now I feel guilty every time I go through one.

Your list of supplies to keep in the boot is exactly the kind of detailed advice that I need.
It also reminded me of that little kit that the dealer gave me, full of useful, portable products, complete with a chamois and sponge.
It will fit right into the boot, if I can excavate through the garage junk and find it.
I will pick up the other items on your list.
I'll have to let my MA know that little detail kit came in handy after all!

Little Wing, there's also places for more "conventional" car washing. There's a drive-in car wash in Robinsville, which is just a few miles away from the Dragon. It's one of those pump-quarters-in-and-wash-it-yourself deals. Going there will probably save you time, as the drive there and back is probably shorter than the line for the two hoses.

As for detailing - I'm new to the Mini, but not to cleaning - I carry a small bucket in the boot.

• Your own sponge or wash mit (you don't want to use the brush at the car wash as it will have dirt in it that will scratch your paint)
  • A few microfiber towels (great for use with detail spray and for quick cleanups on the run)
  • Detail spray (very useful for quick cleanups - next best thing to a real car wash)
  • Wheel brush and Wheel cleaner spray (gotta get all that brake dust off the wheels somehow)
  • Chamois or California Water Blade (for drying the car without water spots - the water blade is like a squeegee, purists won't use them because if you're not careful you can end up with a speck of dirt under the squeegee and be dragging scratches over your car)
  • California Car Duster (it's like an old rag mop that picks up dust off your car - they're GREAT for any dark colored vehicles that really show the dust)
Check out http://calcarduster.com for those the California Water Blade and the California Car Duster. They run $20 each, but are worth every penny IMHO. You may find them at Wal-Mart for a buck or two cheaper in the automotive section.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Tom2112
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by thewebgeek
Good to know. Is there a time of day that is better or worse for hitting the wash stations at the Dragon?
Well, webgeek, I have to admit I have not attended a Mini's on the Dragon event. So I don't know what the lines are like for those hoses. I have been to Crossfire's on the Dragon events though, and we only get about 50-60 cars. The lines for the hoses at Fontana Lodge can be long. I can only image what it would be like with 300+ Minis on the Dragon.

The car wash in Robinsville is right on the main drag through town - route 129. From the Microtel, you would go north on 129, past the gas stations and Wendy's, and the car wash is on the left just before you leave town.

@LittleWing: you may or may not want the California Car Duster and/or the detail spray. Since your car is light colored, it probably doesn't show the dust or hand/finger prints. I've had black and dark blue cars so long, I just get a new duster with each car. It's the only way to keep them looking good.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:03 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the directions to the carwash Tom2112, I will be staying at the Microtel so that will be convenient for me!

Maybe I can ship our clothes ahead of time. Between the detailing items, beer for Brewswap and wine our Cabrio is filling up fast!

Old 02-17-2010, 07:23 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
LW, Something to keep in mind since we aren't near home to wash our micro fiber rags between uses. You might consider taking a couple of ziploc bags to put your rags in so you don't "cross contaminate" your products. I keep my window rags and detailing spray rags and wheel rags in their own baggies to keep the various products where they belong. They do need to get air and dry between uses of course. You've pretty much got the list though.

I wish I could hit the drive through/automatic car wash from time to time but after lowering mine, it doesn't have the ground clearance most of those facilities need to drag me through the wash so mine are all DIY washes.

Enjoy and we are looking forward to our first MOTD!
Craig

Old 02-17-2010, 08:05 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Great idea about the baggies!

I only use the DIY sprayer at car washes but I am happy to hear I have that option although I bet MINI owners make it fun to wait in line for hoses!

Old 03-13-2010, 04:53 PM
spurvis
3rd Gear
YAY!

Thanks Snooter for the great news. Having the car wash stations available was absolutely wonderful and appreciated. I'm a clean freak and only hand was my MINI and to have a hose available at all times was awesome. Especially with all the rain last year. I will have all of my own cleaning supplies, so for me, just having a hose available is really nice of Fontana to provide us with.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:49 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
just stock up on a couple of gallons of Car Wash soap........... only 45 days to go!!

Old 03-15-2010, 06:43 AM
C-Lop
4th Gear

This is what I did. Before I went I completely detailed my car and put a good coat of wax on it so I wouldn't have to when I was down. I also threw my hand held dyson vac in the car since I was going down the week before and had planned on doing some hiking.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:10 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Right now the California Car Dusters are on clearance at Target for $7.50 (at least locally). So a great price to try one for anyone on the fence about getting one.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:59 AM
hefro
3rd Gear
There is a secret hidden wash station at MOTD every year. I'd tell you where it is, but I'd have to kill y'all.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:12 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Anyone know if there will be a donation of supplies by Detailer's Paradise this year? Tying to figure out what to pack and space is really limited in a Cabrio boot. My packing skills will really be tested with this trip!

Old 04-22-2010, 04:18 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
OH NO!!!
Some idiot in a huge truck/suv thing dinged Little Wing's passenger door.
It left a gash about 1 1/2 inch long in the paint.
Fortunately, they didn't dent the door.
I can't believe that this happened right before MOTD!

Since we are coming from Tallahassee, there is a bottle of touch-up Pepper White on hold for me at Global Imports in Atlanta.
It comes with a brush in the bottle.
They tell me that it is as easy as painting my fingernails.
Is this true?
I'm not all that good at painting my nails, so I don't feel real comfortable about this.
I don't want to make things worse than they already are.

I would really appreciate any advice.
TIA!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:17 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Originally Posted by smurfette26
Anyone know if there will be a donation of supplies by Detailer's Paradise this year? Tying to figure out what to pack and space is really limited in a Cabrio boot. My packing skills will really be tested with this trip!
Nope....Heather never responded to my numerous request So I am suppling two gallons of car wash and some cheapy rags and sponges.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:20 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Originally Posted by snooter
Nope....Heather never responded to my numerous request So I am suppling two gallons of car wash and some cheapy rags and sponges.
Thanks snooter for getting back to me! I was looking forward to trying out some DP product...oh well, I guess there is lots of other fun, new (to me) stuff to do!!!